Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beocming a better bassist...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Microbass, Jan 2, 2003.

1. I dunno if this is the right forum, sorry if it's not.. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking about improving my skills. But I'm not too sure about how to go with this. Right now, I'm doing Grade 3 music reading - a rock school book, it's OK, but this way it's going to take a while!

When I have the time/ can be bothered, I also go trhu my Mel Bay book - Absoulute Beginners, to brush up mainly on my reading skills...

But what I wonder is... Would learning EVERYTHING i listen to - im very open minded - improve my playing?
    I can go from The Who to Ramones, and I think I have all the punk stuff down, heh ;)

Do you think playing all music will improve my playing? I'm still going to play everything regardless what you say ;), but I'm a bit interested...

2. Listening to and learning as wide a variety of material as possible while maintaining a good practice regimen and formal lessons is the best way to learn, IMHO.

When I was young I played material from rock, jazz standards, blues, even some classical interpretations. Ideas come from this type of exposure and experience, as does technique improvement.:)

A mod should move this to General Instruction or Miscellaneous.

3. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Done and word.

I would sit down and learn the entire cd of whatever I was spinning in my cd player at the time (which was mostly old school Metallica or the Chili Peppers). Later on I got a little into the Bach Cello Suites. I believe Gard gave me the link to a site that had them notated very well. I've only had one bass lesson in my life and I'm having another tomorrow, and that has helped immensely.