1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Beocming a better bassist...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Microbass, Jan 2, 2003.

1. I dunno if this is the right forum, sorry if it's not.. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking about improving my skills. But I'm not too sure about how to go with this. Right now, I'm doing Grade 3 music reading - a rock school book, it's OK, but this way it's going to take a while!

When I have the time/ can be bothered, I also go trhu my Mel Bay book - Absoulute Beginners, to brush up mainly on my reading skills...

But what I wonder is... Would learning EVERYTHING i listen to - im very open minded - improve my playing?
    I can go from The Who to Ramones, and I think I have all the punk stuff down, heh ;)

Do you think playing all music will improve my playing? I'm still going to play everything regardless what you say ;), but I'm a bit interested...

2. Listening to and learning as wide a variety of material as possible while maintaining a good practice regimen and formal lessons is the best way to learn, IMHO.

When I was young I played material from rock, jazz standards, blues, even some classical interpretations. Ideas come from this type of exposure and experience, as does technique improvement.:)

A mod should move this to General Instruction or Miscellaneous.

3. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Done and word.

I would sit down and learn the entire cd of whatever I was spinning in my cd player at the time (which was mostly old school Metallica or the Chili Peppers). Later on I got a little into the Bach Cello Suites. I believe Gard gave me the link to a site that had them notated very well. I've only had one bass lesson in my life and I'm having another tomorrow, and that has helped immensely.