1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beowulf is going to be a movie?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Scarlet Fire, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    Normally, I think this would be great as it would bring this beautiful story to the mainstream (I've read it several times and loved it, but I can't for the life of me get my friends to read it). But seriously, Angelina Jolie as Grendel's Mother? This could be trouble...

I really hope they do this story justice. If they screw it up, I'm going to be furious.

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    They already have a Sci-Fi channel Beowulf movie. Pretty cruddy.

This will also be cruddy.

3. aint that what 13 warrior was?:confused:

4. D Von

D Von

Nov 13, 2005
    Rhode Island
    It'll be better than 300. That is all.

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yawn. I might rent it on DVD.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    How many discs d'you think it'll be?

EDIT: For just the feature :p.

7. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Angelina as Grendel's mother? When I read that part of Beowulf, I don't recall ever coming close to thinking the phrase "MILF."

It could be a good movie if they do it right.

8. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    Yep, the 13th Warrior was the Beowulf story by Michael Crichton, originally titled "Eaters of the Dead." I guess "13th Warrior" had a bit more box office appeal though. Good book, too.

9. Monk

Monk

Jun 15, 2004
    From what I heard it is going to be an animated movie (like shrek), so Angelina is not actually going to play Grendel's mother, just her voice. Furthermore the script was co-written by Neil Gaiman, an author who I have much respect for, so we know that will be good.

All in all I am actually pretty excited about this.

(By the way, Eaters of the Dead was not about Beowulf, it was about Neanderthals)

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    A historically inaccurate mixing of Beowulf and Ahmad ibn Fadlin's stories.

11. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Actually, there's already a Beowulf movie, "Beowulf and Grendel"; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0402057/
    it's not too bad, worth a watch even for teh stunning photography (it's a joint Icelandic/Canadian film I think, shot in Iceland).

12. Embryodead

Embryodead Inactive

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    The one that olps posted has Gerard Butler in it he was in 300. Good film.

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Of course they'll screw it up.

14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Big population of optimists out there in Flanders, eh?

15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Absolutely :D

Come on, remember all the King Arthur movie disasters?

The only way this could work is if they'd use unknown actors and have it directed by Peter Jackson :D

Some more info
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0442933/

16. Won't work. Our conception of how a hero acts today is too different. They'll probably take out all of Beowulf's bragging and make him a humble, strong, silent underdog, or some BS.

17. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    Well, it wasn't a 100% accurate retelling but it was based on Beowulf. Here's the full explanation from Wikipedia.

BTW-It's a very good book, too.

"In an afterword in the novel Crichton gives a few comments on its origin. A good friend of Crichton's was giving a lecture on the 'Bores of Literature.' Included in his lecture was an argument on Beowulf and why it was simply uninteresting. Crichton stated his views that the story was not a bore and was, in fact, a very interesting work. The argument escalated until Crichton stated that he would prove to him that the story could be interesting if presented in the correct way."

18. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    wth is this beowulf u speak of?

19. Agreed. Achilles underwent a similar transformation for the film Troy...and we all know how that turned out.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021