Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Berg 112 (ht or ex) vs Schroeder Mini 12 (regular or "+")

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kirk P Brosius, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Well, here goes ANOTHER Schroeder question!

I have an iAmp800 powering a Schro 1210 and find that the 1210 can be just a little much for the small gigs.

Has anyone compared the two cabs mentioned?

Both are available at GuitarX in Denver (shameless plug) and
    I'm curious.

Thanks

Can't play better? Play LOUDER!!!

2. Im curious as well...

3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Are you far from Guitar X? I'd say if not then go by and see Gary. A direct comparison with your ears will be the best solution for the situation.

Both are nice cabs, but very different.

4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    watching this thread in anticipation..........

5. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I can't compare, but I do have a Bergie HT112 and I really like it. I use an Eden WT-550 adn play everything from low B's to high C's, jazz to rock and it sounds great.

I actually used the cab with a 10 piece funk band when we played with Al "Show and Tell" Wilson. We had good PA support (it was basically a stage monitor) but Al actually had me turn it down. I don't think it was because of my playing. :meh:

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    +1

Great cab. Most people use these in pairs but I only have one and I love it.

7. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    +2

I've owned the 1210 and prefer the Berg HT112's, one or two.

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Yeah like Brian said I recommend you go there to try it out for yourself then you can come back here and tell us what you think. :D Beware of going to guitarx on a saturday though! You wont be trying out much! Weekdays are by far the best time to try out gear.

9. extrem94

extrem94

Feb 15, 2005
    Miami
    +3

10. Thanks for the responses, I've been away from the computer for a few days, recording, and haven't been able to check in with TB.

I'm not able to get to Denver as often as I would like but thanks for the advice about a mid-week visit to GuitarX.

I need to get onto the Schroe mega-thread and pass on my impressions of my iAmp800 & Schroe 1210 with a blended DI and mic'ed signal during my two day session in the studio last week. In a few words; the artist was very, very pleased!!

Thanks, again, for the input.

11. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Kirk -

I've not heard the mini 12s, but have heard and compared a 1210, 1212 and Berg EX/HT stack.

I'd say get the Berg - just to give you a little more variety in your "tonal palette."

12. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Care to elaborate on that?

13. the dude

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    ...sure.

Schroders and Bergantinos each have their own sound with a given preamp/amp, bass, player and physical environment (as do all of the better cabs.)

Many bass players find that different combinations can be better for different circumstances. The most obvious example would be for different styles of music. Less obvious might be what a player wants to hear in the studio versus on stage.

Since Kirk is looking for a 2nd setup, having a differently voiced box will give him a different palette to work with - expanding the sounds in his repetoire. As a result, he may find he prefers one cabinet for some situations and the other cabinet for something else.

14. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I see your logic, and am forced to agree with you.

However, I was expecting you to compare the Schroeder and the Bergantino. Would you mind giving your impressions of two two different styles?

15. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I can personally vouch for Bergantino. That being said, my guess is you can't go wrong with either one. It's kind of like Mercedes vs. BMW, personal preference is the deciding factor between two luxury cars!

16. the dude

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    As far as impressions, to be honest, I really didn't spend enough time with the Schroeders. More importantly, I never played out with them - so my impressions would be pretty useless.

Tombowlus is the wordmeister when it comes to comparing cabs...though I don't know if he's heard the 1210/1212.

You might want to look at these.

17. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    the dude - There really isn't much A/B'ing in those threads, and I was hoping for a good A/B test.

Hopefully someone can do something for this thread. Enlighten us, whoever has A/B'd these great cabs.

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Thanks, dude! :)

I have heard the 1210, 1212, 21012 and 410 at Pete Skjold's shop, but those were the only cabs he had on hand, so I was not able to compare them head to head against anything else. I did, however, feel like I got to know them fairly well. But regardless, I have not heard the Mini 12 or Mini 12+, though I would definitely like to!

Tom.

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Dead on...if you haven't heard the Schroeders in a live band setting, it's difficult to put their sound in the proper perspective.

One other thing about the Schroeders, that might be an issue in an MI store, positioning -- if you don't hear each cab you audition on the floor (as they were designed to be used), you haven't heard it's full sound.