Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Berg 1x12 stack fueled by Eden WT-550?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I've heard a few mixed comments on this setup, figured I'd give her a whirl and solicit other opinions. I think that the Eden fatness/richness might sound super nice with the glossy little Bergiemonsters. EmJazz sent me some "wicked nice" sounding clips. I'm going to try out a WT-400 this weekend and post some comments. "GAS is a hell of a drug."-Rick James.

2. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    I got a WT-550 comin thursday, so ill see how it sounds with my bergie stack. Im stoked!

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Very cool JohnRyan! Good choice man, I'm sure you'll dig it. Just make sure to replace the tube. It comes with an ok tube but with a better tube in the preamp the amp really sounds incredible. It's well worth the extra dough.

4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have a WT-400 and two Berg HT-112s. They sound great together, but due to the (in)efficiency of the cabs the 400 starts to run out of juice once they're at "competing with loud drummer and guitarist" volume. The same cabs with an EA iAmp 800 are noticeably bigger/louder sounding. I'm sure the extra power of the WT-550 would come in handy.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i've tried it in the store only and it sounded very good. i only used a wt-400, but IMO, that sounded good with most two "one driver each" cabinet setups, aggie, bergie, bag end, epi, etc.

FWIW, i tried a bunch of tubes in my 400 and found that A, to me the difference was not as marked as in other amps, and B, the stock tube sounded about the best (IMO). the stock tube is pretty bright, and most other tubes ended up making the already "warm" eden a little too dark. different strokes. ;)

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    To be fair, I've only tried one other tube and it's a Telefunken. It made the sound much smoother and more open sounding.

Will, the clips I sent you were with I think a Mesa Boogie 12ax7 in the preamp.

7. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    Thanks for the tip! Ill do some homework on tubes and see what i like best.

8. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I'm going to borrow one for a gig, I'll report back on my findings subsequently.

w

9. 2cents.
    I haven't tried the Edens gear in a long time and never the WT550, but I am an avid HT/EX user and I can tell you first hand the Walter Woods Ultra or the Thunderfunk 550 sound SUPERB with these cabs and will literally knock your socks off. I would still love to try a WT550 with these cabs so let us know your impressions. Also in most of my experiences with tubes, you can make definate changes to your sound and performance, some good some not. Unless your buying NOS tubes it's done quite cheaply and worth the expense and effort in my opinion. Best of luck on your rig!

10. i only have an HT-112, and i use it with a warwick quadruplet preamp. but, the first time i played one in a store, it was through a WT head, i think the 330/400, but i'm not entirely certain. at any rate, i wasn't pushing it hard, but it was the sound that i wanted. i was using a sterling and was able to get all the sounds i've wanted to get, and knew i could get, but hadn't been able to until then.

it was that moment that i knew i had to have an HT-112. i played through an HT-310, and it just sounded hollow and bare by comparison.

the moral of the story is that i think eden amplification will go very well with an HT/EX stack.

robb.

11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Thanks Rob, I'm una give'er.

Will

12. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Hey Big String--Sounds like you're saying the Thunderfunk has enough oomph to do the little Bergantinos justice, eh? Everybody seems to think that the amp's very conservatively rated. Is there a huge difference between its tone/volume/feel with one or two Berg 12s and your more powerful rigs?

13. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    My rig: Eden WT-550, Berg HT-112/EX-112. My sound: exactly what I want. My smile while playing: HUGE! :D

14. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have a Bergie HT112 (only one) and am looking for a head to go with it. I have been using a QSC and Avalon but it's just too much to haul around. Have you tried your HT550 with just the HT112? How does it sound? Is it fairly loud?

I want mostly "hi-fi" sound. I have a BDDI do get dirty if needed. I want a small package. My gigs are small venue, jazz big band, jazz combo and maybe a little classic rock - coffee house, classy restaurants, weddings, and the occasional club gig.

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'll add something that I told Wilbyman. I once did a gig where there was an upright player playing as well. When I wasn't playing he asked if he could use my Berg112 and eden to get a little extra volume. I was sceptical that it would sound good but I let him try it out. Well, to my surprise, with the enhance knob off and the eq flat the sound was incredible. I listened from different points in the room and it was very consistent throughout. I basically sounded like his bass but louder.

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000

Yeah, I can see that. My favorite Eden amp was always the 400 and, with a single Bergie 12, bet it would be sweet for DB. Might be a little short in the pants for the mini-stack, however. My experience with Bergie cabs is that they definitely open up with more wattage. :eek:

Having said all that, I'm guessing a 550 would power the HT112/EX112 mini-stack OK and might actually be a synergistic combination.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh crap! that musta been a great sound. :bassist:

and while i preferred the more hifi sound of the iAMP + HT112, the WT400 w/ my old HT112 had a thick, woolly, rich tone that was pretty heady with my old Pbass.

18. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I think Dave is a great guy and makes I nice amp, but I didn't particularly care for the TFunk/Berg combo. It was a little too bright IMO.

W

19. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Y'know.... hate is such a strong word. ......Do you own any
    gear at the moment that I could hate you for owning?
    I'll give you strong dislike, .....but hate?

20. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    :D