Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Berg 210/115 & iAmp 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metron, Aug 16, 2005.

1. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Hey TB people! I know this has been discussed here and there but honestly I dont have the luxury to be able to sift through tons of threads because Im at work. :bawl:

Anyway I have a DB 680/QSC PLX rig Im using with my Berg 210/115 speakers. I think I would like to switch to something smaller that can work equally well for double bass and electric. Hence the iAmp 800. What is your experience with this amp and Bergantino speakers? Does the amp work better with EA speakers?

2. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    I played through a Aguilar DB750 and a Bergantino HT322(2x10,1x12) and I through it sounded spectacular, I didnt think it was loud enough, and when playing a Low B-G with the amp cranked, the amp just didnt seem to handle the wave i guess. the tone was unquestionably spectacular.

Now i'm looking at some other amps like schroeder 21012, and an epifani 1x12 for upright usage. I'm not really dedicated to either amp.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh my freakin'...

EA and Berg gear go together like bread and butter..... :bassist:

example...

[​IMG]

and i'll be a monkey's uncle if that smooth green script logo doesnt look snazzy against the red highlights of the iAMP. :cool:

4. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Lookin good joker! But you dont have the berg anymore... why did you give it up? What cabs do you like best with your iAmp?

Hmm I wonder if the 800 watts would be anough juice to power the 210/115 stack...

5. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Oh and does anyone have the jensen DI upgrade? Is it worth it? Sound any better?

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    FYI,

i use my iAMP-800 w/ my Acme B-4, and slams MORE than enough booty from that baby. i have no doubt it'll rock the Berg combo.

but the iAMP-350 was sold to make way for the 800, and the little Berg while terrific feel victim to my inexhaustible GAS. :bag: :p

BTW, anyone know what DI the iAMP-800 on BassTasters were using? that's a nice sound. :)

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    In general, I prefer the Walter Woods Ultra or Crest CA-6 with those two cabs but the 800 will get the job done, of course. IME, the EA amps have a definite synergy with EA cabs and offer their best in those combinations, however.

If lightweight is your main criteria and you plan to use those two Bergie cabs most of the time, I'd take a serious look at the Woods, assuming you can handle the fare. ;)

8. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    When I was considering purchasing an Iamp 800, I talked directly with Gary at EA specifically about the Jensen DI option. He said that he has only had one or two customers ever request it. He also said that of all the players out there using the standard DI on the Iamp, none have reported a problem playing live or recording or requested an upgrade.
    Good enough for me!
    As far as volume goes, I switched over from a pre/power setup that put out rediculous amounts of power (up to 2400w) and I've found the Iamp 800 to be just as capable of downright painful levels of volume without breaking a sweat.
    Just my experience!

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    From the iAMP 800, with 2,500w peak power, I vote "yes." The Walter Woods Ultra does, indeed, sound killer with Berg cabs, but the iAMP 800 does a darn nice job, too.

Tom.

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Personally, I'd invest in a good separate well-known DI for those times the sound guy is reluctant to use the iAmp's DI. He's probably not gonna care that there's a Jensen in there anyway, in my experience. I built my own DI using the Jensen transformer, from the Jensen schematics, and it sounds no better or worse than the one in my iAmp used pre-EQ, IMHO. The local sound guys are perfectly happy to let me use the iAMP's DI, which means I can mute the send when I change basses or play with my tuning.

Edit: I've only tried the Berg 112EX with my iAmp, and I thought all of the EA cabs I've tried (VL210, VL208, CxL-112) were better matches for my purposes. Not a fair comparison really though, given no tweeter in the Berg. The CxL (I have the older version) is my favorite match to the iAmp of the dozen plus different cabs I've used with it, especially for doubling, FWIW. The CxL really handles the EQ variations gracefully.

I loved the Berg 115/210 combo when I tried my EUB through it using a rack setup, can't see the Iamp being a bad match really. Synergy's a funny thing though, you might well like something else more. ;)

11. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I had to send my iAmp 800 to EA for repairs so I had Gary put in the Jensen. He actually tried to dissuade me, saying he thought it wasn't worth the $125 and had only installed a few over the years. I've done a fair amount of pro live sound and appreciate transformer isolation so I went for it.

I hadn't used the DI before but, not surprisingly, the Jensen sounds great. I use the head to power either two Berg HT-112s or an EA Wizzy with BG, DB, and EUB. Sounds great, and is extremely powerful with headroom to spare. Even cranked loud as hell I've never seen the power amp clip light go on.

12. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Thanks for the comments everyone! Charlie I agree about the separate DI. I have a countryman that works great and may get a Radial sometime. Thats funny that the EA guy is trying to dissuade people. Ill take his word for it!

Joker powering the B4 with the iAmp means a lot to me. I had one a few years back and so I know how they like power! I think its safe to say it has enough power for the Bergs. I may be able to try the combination but unfortunately only in the store. Cant get too loud in there...

Boogie I would love to consider the Ultra but its a bit out of my league. I have considered selling the Bergs to get EA cabs if they will work better together. I guess my goal is to have a smallish modern sounding rig with a powerful EQ and that works equally well with DB and EB. Im picturing the iAmp 800 with the NL 210 or even the NL 208 thats currently being developed. Or maybe a Whizzy... Do EA amps and cabs really work best together? Oh the gas...

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    not to throw things OT, ;)

sounds great! my 4 ohm B-2 more than gives up those plump, fat, thick, juicy goods. porterhouse in a box, i say. but truth be told, i much prefer the bigger and BIGGER sound of the B-4. once you run thru a B-4 w/ the iAMP, there literally is NO turning back.

also, i'm realizing that EA heads and Acme cabs are terrific for my tonal needs. doesnt quite take the cake in terms of Berg meets EA, cause that glossy upper end of Jim's tweeters does amazing things. still, i dont think the Berg cabs can give up the plump fatness that the Acmes possess.

funny enough, my Focus, and especially, my Epi UL502 sounds mad kickin' w/ the B-2. not quite as plump, the Focus has a nice warmth that i dig. the Epi seems to really bring out this throaty woodness that i cant get enough of.

and again, as for the iAMP's DI, listen to the basstasters clip, and be bathed in tonal goodness. :cool:

14. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    An NL208 under development???
    Very interesting! Anybody have any details?

15. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Looks like they are getting ready to release another 8" cab. There's a thread on this on the double bass side.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167345

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The iAMP 800 really does shine with EA cabs. Two NL-210's are great, but I slightly prefer one CxL-112 with one NL-210. That said, the "all EA rig" that is really getting my goat right now is the iAMP 800 pushing two Wizzy's. That rig sounds huge!

The other cab brands that seems to shine the brightest with EA amps are Accugroove and ACME. I really love the sound of my Whappo, Jr. with the 800, and one or two Low B-2's can be driven quite well with an iAMP 800.

Tom.

17. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Thanks Tom! I had a chance to plug a Lakland jazz into the iAmp 500 with the CXL112 and the Berg HT 115 yesterday. I didnt get enough time to mess with all the eq but the presets are very nice, especially contour 2. Too bad there were no whizzys to try in the store. I liked the 112 but once I plugged into the Berg 115 I really liked what I heard. Glassy smooth transition between mids and highs as always with the Bergs. It seemed like I was hearing it right out in front like I never have before though. Very nice! The amp did have a little hiss but that doesnt bother me too much. Im going to put in some time with the 800 before I decide to pick one up or not. It may be the amp that suits my purposes best.

Oh I have to mention this... I emailed Gary at EA yesterday asking about input impedance for the amp because I use an underwood with my DB which likes high input Zs best. He said the passive input is 1 Mohm but if I feel it would be better if it were higher he could change it for me. :D Nice thorough response and very helpful. Gotta love that!!

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That Berg HT115 really amazes me. It's one of my favorite cabs, and it works well either standalone or in a support role for another cab.

This is about par for the course with Gary. Great guy!

Tom.

19. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    800 watts should be plenty for the Berg 2x10 and 1x15. Don't know if you're set on the EA amp, but you should really try out a Glockenklang Heart-Rock. I just bought one to run through my HT322 and it sounds incredible! I will NEVER sell this amp. I also switched from a similar set up to you. Aguilar DB659 into a QSC PLX1202. The Glock blows them all way! It is probably more expensive than the EA though. But well worth the extra pennies.

20. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Thanks jigga! Ill have to check that amp out. I think the local music store is still a glock dealer...

Can anyone generally comment on the Berg HT 210 vs the EA NL 210? Im looking at you Tom B! :D