Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Berg 425 Review?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jow83, Jun 16, 2005.

1. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey has anyone done a review of this cab? I tried searching but it didn't come up. I like the idea of the "all in one" box solution and the berg looks to be more my thing then the el whappo or triad (or others) both in terms of power handling and speaker compliment. I know you can't get them in australia but i have a chance to have one shipped from japen for free (by a good friend who works for an airline).

So yeh has anyone got one they can review for me, or has played one and can give me their impressions? If anyone has played one with a tube amp that would be awesome. How does it compare to the 610? I play hardcore and rock with some nice little metal bits here and there, would this cab (with a tube amp) cut it in terms of loudness? Thanks Guys

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    There have been several mentions of the NV425 on here, all of which have been favorable.

I haven't played through one but I have an NV610, and I think for metal I'd rather have the NV610. It'd be close though and I'm sure either would sound great.

3. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    yeh i foudn one or two through a google search :S for some reason it didn't turn up on a forum search, sounds like great cab with tube or solid state heads.

please feel free to let this one sink to the bottem

4. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I dunno, i play with my fingers, I like the idea of having more low end then the 610, and i guess the 425 would still have some pretty punchy mids due to the 310's? All the guys i rate use svt 810e's but somehow i don't think they are for me! Poppinfresh if you read this can yuo pm me? did you look into getting a berg from the states man?

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey man, I'll just post here... cos i'm lazy :p

Umm, I did. From memory, it was close to $600 to get it shipped over here.

From what I got from Jim, it was along the lines of:

610 - Punch and cutting monster. Goes fairly deep, but nothing too full or round sounding.

425 - Doesn't lose much punch over the 610, but has a nice smoother and deeper low end. A bit more thump.

I'd still love to get one, but unfortunantly, the size at the moment is a bit of a drawback. So instead i'm going with a Schroeder 410. I'l definently be getting a 425 sometime in the future though. Pr perhaps I could put a 215 under my 410 ;)

If you want anything else, just ask and i'l try help!

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have tried all three of the NV series, 610, 425, 215, and I was quite impressed across the board. These cabs are great for use with a tube amp. Being sealed enclosures, they are not going to be quite as loud as a ported design, but their design allows them to deal with the high excursion (low damping) often assciated with tube amps.

My favorite of the group was the NV215, as it has the deepest low end response, as well as the most high end. I found it to definitely sound deeper in the lows and more clear and articulate on the highs (but still very smooth). To my ears, it was very punchy and packed a visceral impact that the other two couldn't quite match. That said, one thing that those 10's do very well (especially in a sealed, tweeterless enclosure) is handle overdrive/distortion. If you play with a real dirty tone most of the time, the 610 or 425 might be the ticket. But if you want a bit more clarity, and more extended frequency handling, the 215 is the preferred route.

And as luck would have it, my NV215 came in yesterday! :hyper:

Tom.

7. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Awesome man, let me know how that turns out :) I'm still tossing up between a 215 and a 425. 215 would be awesome but i dont know if it will have the kind of mids I'm after, if the 425 is as good as i have been hearing i think it might be jsut what im after :)

Done some pricing both in japan and the states, even without shipping japan is going to work out to be about 600-800 busks dearer so there goes that plan. Thanks for your help in that regard poppin :) Tossing up the idea of shipping one from the states in september now... haha

8. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I've been toying with the idea of making two NV310s out of my NV610 for portability purposes, and because I want to see what a line array NV610 would sound like. I kind of wish they were sold this way because I'd love to be able to mix and match two NV310s or an NV310 and an NV115 depending on the gig.

I wonder if he'd sell a raw 15" driver. :)

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

You're killin' me, man... :(

Seriously: congrats! I'm looking forward to your extended review, and in particular, comments on 610 (which I already own) v 425 (which I'm gassin' for).

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Splitting SVT 8x10's in half wasn't uncommon, but SVT speakers were at right angles from each other. Might be tricky with the Berg because the speakers are diagonal in the horizontal... but I still think it's a cool idea if you could pull it off!

11. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I'd just build two new cabs and save the original, putting the speakers from the original into the new cabs. Helllll no I'm not cutting into that thing. :)

I can see why people would cut into an Ampeg though. :bag:

12. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas