Berg AE 2x10 vs AE 1x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brianh, Sep 10, 2010.

1. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    I need something for slightly louder situations, and although I am leaning towards a 2x10 - I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with both of these cabs. Would I get that much out of the 2x10 to justify lugging the extra weight?

I have owned a lot of 112's over the years and I feel I know them well, but have actually owned a 2x10. In a perfect setting, I have always preferred 4x10 cabinets but it hasn't been possible for me in NYC. Thinking a 2x10 might be a solution...

2. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    What kind of music do you play? Are you going to be doubling as well? Define "Loud".

For me, a single twelve will never do but I play exclusively top 40 club gigs with electric basses. If I had to double or play jazz, I'd go with a modular 12" setup.

3. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    I double, but won't with this rig. I have a 12" or a combo for that. If I get a 2x10 it will stay home a bit more and not be dragged around for lots of NYC gigs...

This rig would be for wedding bands, some latin, r&b, and rock gigs...

4. Well, the 210 will handle more power. 400 watts vs 300 watts for the 112, but of course it weighs more. I've not played the AE210, but I've played the AE112 and own an HT210 and an HT112. Any tone differences are going to minimal. I'm sure it's there and somebody on here can give you a description, but if you're already set for 12's as you seem to be, why not just go for the 210? Sounds like you already know what you want.

I do approach the limits of the HT112 much more regularly than the HT210, but it gets plenty loud for most situations. I'd say the 210 has a bit stronger low end while the 112 is a bit even and flatter throughout. But it's minor and a bit of eq makes it irrelevant.

5. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    I would vote inequivically for the 2x10. It's going to be deeper, louder, and not reach Vmax as quickly as the 12. And since its Neo, it's not a ton of weight.... Can't win em all. As ken likes to say: You've got weight, tone, and loudness. Choose two of three.

6. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    How does the tone of the AE compare to their regular model?

7. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump

Jan 27, 2010
    Canada
    +1

I own the AE210. It's a 40 pound, one-hand grab.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021