1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Berg AE112 / CN112 Comparison

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 77PBass, Oct 5, 2013.

1. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    Has anyone had these 2 cabs? What are the differences and similarities in tone?

I have an AE112 and looking for another used one but they seem few and far between. I am thinking of selling the AE112 and getting two CN112's.

2. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    I'm sure KJung could fill you in. He is one of the resident experts in all things Bergantino. I'm fairly sure that the CN112 has a tighter, more focused low end. I'm not so sure about the mids and highs.

3. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    I find the low end on the AE112 extremely tight. As a matter of fact, I tend to boost the bass on my walkabout to get the bottom tone I like with the cab.

4. Can talk all day about the AE212 and CN212 comparisons, but have little experience with the AE112 (which is a bit light on the deep low end compared to the AE212, and quite a bit more aggressive up top), and have not played the CN112.

To the OP, if you dig the AE112 and can find another one, two would be massively louder and deeper than a single one. That would be the least expensive way to go if you can find a used AE112 (they seem to come up regularly).

5. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    Thanks KJ. The AE112 is what you would expect from a single twelve from Berg. Agree, there is sizzle and zing but I roll off the top end on my bass and amp so it never reaches the cab.

Agree 2 AE112's would be a great modular system that would deliver enough low end for almost any gig I have. I let a used AE112 slip through my hands here on TB a couple of months back. I'll have to keep my eyes open....

6. blen dem

blen dem Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2001
    USA, Vallejo
    I have pair of AE112's (5-6 yrs and running) and I can tell ya stacked, they just crush and oozes tone for days. I keep one at home and the other in the trunk. I rehearse with one 80% of the time and I'll be the first to admit that with just one, it's an "ok" cab...lacks the low end IMO. Often times I wished I opted for the AE210....THEN I do a gig where I need both and BOOM, couldn't be happier. If I decide to sell one of them, I'll PM ya cause I'm a lil curious how an AE112 sounds with an NV115.

7. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    Great thx.

I use the single AE112 with a Walkabout head as my small rig. If I need the sound of THOR, I have 2 HT115's. Unfortunately, while I am a stout man, I can see the day when the weight of the HT115's will be too much.