1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Berg + Aguilar??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Groovin, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    Ok, I searched everywhere and I cant find any info about this combo...

Is there anyone here using a Aggie head into Berg cabs? I just picked up a AG 500SC and its being shipped to me. I will be playing it through a HT212. Really stoked and I just wanted to know what others impressions are.

Also, anyone played this head through a Epi UL310??

THANKS!

2. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    Yes. I'm also interested in what you guys think of the AG500 with the Epi cabs.

Thanks.

(Groovin: Sorry for the off-topic ;) )

Pedro

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    havent tried it thru an UL310,

but dont tell nick, cause i really like the AG500 into my UL112's! the EQ voicing of the AG series really complements the UL112's in the best way. very impressed. doesnt quite have the satisfyingly huge punch of the UL902, but then again, what does? ;)

4. I had an Aguilar AG500SC.

Wanted to try one, but was a little nervous based on such mixed reviews on that amp.

I used it with a Berg HT322 and a Berg NV610 (not at the same time of course). I really liked the AG500. I thought it worked well with both cabs, and had a number of great sounds in it.

So, I think it would sound great with an HT212.

Pic:

BergantinoNV610003.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i think i just pee'd a little. :eek:

6. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    Thanks for the replies guys!

ebmuscmanlvr83: You are the man.

7. Ha. Thanks I just laughed so loud I think my neighbors heard me.

Well, not quite the man. Glad I saw this thread. Just for a little more detail Ill say this: One of the reasons I liked the AG500 so much is that I could dial in a very tube like tone. It could do the clean and cutting thing well, but it could really nail a tube like vinatge vibe with some tweaking. I had a bud come over and his words were " if I closed my eyes I would swear that was an all tube amp, but it does the clean/solid state thing so well too".

The cool thing was running the AG500 with the HT322. It was a great balance of warmth and clarity. I think with an HT212, youll have one killer setup on your hands.

Im currently madly in love with a MarkBass amp, but when/if funds permit Id love to have another Aggy. Id love to hear it with my HT112.

8. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    I have an Aggie DB750 that powes a NV610 and it is absolutely killer, I consider that my #1 rig of choice.
    I sold my UL-310 to Sethlow which also rocked with the DB750, however the 5.3 Ohm thing made it hard
    for me to match it up with other cabs, so a pair of UL-112's will do the smaller gigs or one of them.
    You may want to consider a UL112 over a 115. I like to mix my cabs that's why the UL310 was sold, but it is a great cab.

9. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    Just to follow up on this thread.

I received the AG 500SC and let me say: WOW.

It is night and day from my Carvin R1000 (most of you are probably saying "duh!!"). I expected a difference but this is huge.

The biggest adjustment has been recalibrating my ear to what my basses "should" sound like. What I mean is that with the Carvin there was a very fat present tone but when at gig volume it got very muddy quickly.

With the Aggie, the perceived "fatness" at lower volumes seems to be missing, BUT give it just a little juice and this thing just gets warmer, richer, and yet stunningly clear!! (This may also be attributed to my Berg 212... :D)

I am very happy with this amp. My amp GAS is settled for a loooong time. Now basses on the other hand...

Edit: Cab GAS is growing too. I am still thinking about the portability of the Epi UL310. Anyone else beside Ptidwell use this combo?

10. what type of music do(did) you play with that incredible rig??

Dan