Berg Forte vs Mesa D800+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazztonebass, Jan 27, 2018.

1. jazztonebass

jazztonebass

Apr 23, 2012
    Has anyone demoed these side by side? Looking for some feedback on the differences sonically.

Gonna choose one to power a Barefaced Big Baby 2 or a Barefaced 210.

2. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Owned both at the same time (along with a D800). Sold the 800+, currently have/gig the D800 and Forte. Slightly different voicings with the Forte being a bit more open. The D800+ is a more flexible amp - between the two fully parametric midranges, bright switch, deep switch, and voicing, you have a lot of ways to push the tone around. The Forte has fixed eq points so if you like them you're set, if you don't, then you're not. The Forte has the on-board compressor which I find ok but I don't like the way it behaves at higher levels. I typically just leave it at around 9-10 o'clock. Both are plenty loud.

I think the D800+ with the Two10 would be a rock/funk match made in heaven.

3. jazztonebass

jazztonebass

Apr 23, 2012
    Does one of these sound warmer to you than the other? I want an articulate amp but I don't want it to sound too clinical. Can a guy have warmth and clarity at the same time?

Dp1363 likes this.
  4. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Don’t know about the Forte. But I have the 800+.

When I got it I had the GK MB-800.

The GK was awesome but the D-800+ won.

Now I have two D-800+’s.

5. Dp1363

Dp1363

Jan 8, 2011
    South Jersey US
    Go for the BB2. Excellent cab with great range and deep lows and crisp highs. The D800+ provides great punch and various options to shape your sound.
    I power 2 BB2’s in a vertical stack with a D800+. Best rig I ever used, and I had more than a few rigs over the years.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The D800+ is slightly voiced but the semi-para mids make it controllable. The forte has well-placed EQ centers and is more sonically accurate than the D800+. The forte certainly isn't "clinical" sounding - it just gives you back whatever you put into it, only louder. When I play the forte it's set "flat" with all four EQ knobs at noon - the same as with my B|Amp. I control the tone at my bass. I own a D800+ and frequently play the forte at BSD. In any event, you probably can guess what my recommendation will be.

bucephylus likes this.
  7. jazztonebass

jazztonebass

Apr 23, 2012
    Any more thoughts on this?

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Old thread bump, but why did you sell the 800+ in favor of the standard 800?

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021