Berg HD/CN 212 vs NV

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wayon, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Wayon

Wayon Supporting Member

I know, there have been many comparisons, and this subject has been gone over, but, I'd still like to hear a direct comparison.
    Here's why.
    View attachment 4889391

The TF750 and the NV cabs go very well. Especially with the passive Dingwall. But, the Forte HP is now my go to amp and it just doesn't quite fit as well with the NV cabs. Especially with the active NG2. Don't get me wrong, the performance is there, just not as nice tonally. I play mostly rock and R&B, and we play pretty loud.
    I think I'd like to try a 212, but nowhere to do that, I have to buy one.
    Thoughts? Info?

Attached Files:

Murch likes this.
  2. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I'm a little biased because I own an NV212T. Actually, I've owned 3...I think that says something.

This is a discussion of 2 flavors of awesome :)

I prefer the CN to the HD to start. HD is ad it implies high def, but the low mid forwardness of the CN is something it does really really well.

The NV to me is a beefier, fuller CN. Not to say the CN is a slouch! It is not. I just really enjoy the OOMPH the NV212 puts out. And with the tweeter option, you don't miss out on any grind and crisp. You can of course dial it out and get a tubbier sound. The NV212T is my favorite sealed cab from Berg.

bass nitro and Zbysek like this.
  3. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Why is the Forte your go to amp if it doesn't sound as good as the TF with your cabs?

4. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I too am surprised that you're not getting the sound you want from the Berg amp/cab combination. You have a dynamite set-up there IMO. Maybe if you give it a bit more time and try some different settings you'll be able to get "that sound" you liked with the TF.

Of the cabs you listed I tried them all, brought the CN212 home, and have kept it. I consider it to be perhaps one of the most "honest/accurate sounding" ported cabs I've found. It seems to just allow whatever I plug into it to shine through and speak cleanly and clearly. It is my favorite cab to use when testing out a new amp or comparing amps.

The CN212 is not as inherently deeply voiced as the HD to my ear, but it takes EQ well. In that respect it reminds me a little of the NV which exhibits a strong low end, but rolls off in the deep low region. As for an even balance across the frequency spectrum teh CN212 is smooth and seamless with no obvious dips or peaks...like all the Berg cabs I've ever heard.

5. Wayon

Wayon Supporting Member

Because it has some great features that I actually use. And the active Dingwall sounds better with the Forte than the passive ABZ. I'm trying to find the cab that sounds good with everything. Too much to ask? I know, maybe.

chris_b likes this.
  6. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    For about 8 years I used a Thunderfunk 550 and then a 750 with my Berg AE and CN cabs. Then I moved to Barefaced: light, loud and with a great tone. I'm still running the TF750 but also an Aguilar AG700. I briefly had a Forte HP (sounded very good with the BF cabs) but didn't use any of the features so sold it.

Barefaced 212 cabs, the BT3 and ST, are worth checking out. Both my amps sound huge through my 2 x 112 rigs (BB2/SM and SC/SM).

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  7. Wayon

Wayon Supporting Member

The CN212 is not as inherently deeply voiced as the HD to my ear, but it takes EQ well. In that respect it reminds me a little of the NV which exhibits a strong low end, but rolls off in the deep low region. As for an even balance across the frequency spectrum teh CN212 is smooth and seamless with no obvious dips or peaks...like all the Berg cabs I've ever heard.[/QUOTE]

Nice info. Thanks.

Thanks I'll check them out.

Al Kraft likes this.