1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

berg ht 112 vs ea cxl 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dee rob, Oct 9, 2006.

1. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    I've done a search, but can't find any direct comparisons between these two cabs. I currently run an iamp 800 into 2 ht 112s. I love the sound, but just like anyone else, I'm always looking at something else. I tried a cxl 112 briefly, but did not get a chance to a/b the cabs. The cxl 112 seemed to be significantly louder, but again, my time with the cab was very short. I play everything from neo-soul to living colour type rock. I play spector ns4crfm's and tend to prefer a modern sound. Can anyone describe the sonic differences between these cabs? Thanks in advance.

dee

2. Cory

Cory Supporting Member

May 16, 2004
    TEXAS
    I've got an EA 800C combo (the 800 plus the 12 cab put together). I live in Kerrville. If you are interested in a short trip, you can come check it out and A/B yours and mine and see for your self. I've had both cabs and prefer to EA so far!

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    the berg is lighter, bottom is more rounded sounding, mids are less loud, but still very accessible.

I had a cxl112 and quickly sold it for an aguilar gs112, recently sold one of my aguilar 112s for berg ht112/ex112 for lighter setup. aguilar has more natural booty, but more laid back mids.

4. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx

Cory,

Thanks for the offer, if you want to pm me your info, we can definitely set something up. Thanks!!

dee

5. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    anbody else??

dee

6. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    See Bass Player shootout. Read the review for what it actually says. Check any assumptions. YMMV. IMHO the CXL112 can do serious booty. It surprises me live how much bass and volume it can produce with clear articulate mids and highs. Dial up the mids reduce the lows and they are louder still. Two are far more than twice the booty of one with an iAMP 800. They were made for each other. Tone was the priority as I am not doing drummer on brushes socials. Check out http://www.kevinburnes.com/melange.html particularly the second concert. Hope you have good speaks on your computer.

7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    While I have not use the Berg (I have used bigger Bergs), my experience when first playing through the CXL even compared to other EA cabs is how clear and revealing the CXL 112 is. Every nuance in my playing, good and bad, is heard. It has since become my favourite EA cab but I do like the light weight of the Wizzy but it sounds very different.

8. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Something else you might consider is the Berg HT122S/Ht210S stack. This is my rig of choice when I'm not using the HT/EX112 stack with my iAmp 800. The tone is somewhat different than the smaller stack, more open and studio monitor like while still maintaining the Berg sound.

9. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    anyone else care to share......

dee

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    IMHO, the CXL's would be great for a rock like environ. they go really deeeep and while the EA's are known for their hifi sound, they also just POUND. great cab.

11. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    thanks for the responses guys!

dee

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021