Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Berg HT-112 vs. EA CXL-112L vs. Ag GS-112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AJClone, Aug 12, 2003.

1. AJClone

AJClone

Mar 11, 2002
    Iowa
    If anyone has some good comparative info on the Bergantino HT-112, EA CXL-112L and the Aguilar GS-112, I'd love to hear it. I've had a GS112 but have not been able to try out the Berg and EA. I'm going to have an EA iamp350 and am looking for a solid cab for jazz, contemporary Christian and maybe a bit of funk and fusion...at any rate, no heavy metal. I wasn't all that thrilled with the scooped sound of the GS-112 but it was ok. I know this is all pretty subjective but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    AJ

2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    check bassplayers online archive. their shootout was informative. i have heard the berg and the aggie both are popular and sound great.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    What, no Epifani T-112?

:D ;)

That'd be my recommendation, if it was in the lineup. The three that you picked have very different tonal characters. Bergies (and Epi's) have sweet high end, EA is a midrange monster, and the GS-112 is known for low end meat. So, it really depends on what you are after. I like the Epifani because it has clean, deep lows and plenty of them, combined with a very sweet and airy high end. Admittedly, by itself the T-112 (the very latest version) is a bit midrange-shy for my likes, so I combined it with a T-110UL. That said, I recently picked up a slightly older T-112 (the narrower one) which has very strong mids, but not quite as deep and focused lows as the newer ones.

Hope this helps, Tom.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey didnt we see this before?? ;)

at any rate, you found the Aguilar to be scooped? hmm...

how loud were you running it? at low volumes, i find the aguilar really lacking. but at higher volumes, it really opens up with some smokey dark tones that are very much inyourface.

btw, how did you have your EQ? remember that the EA's eq is really flexible, so even if you felt the tone was scooped, maybe you should bump up s'more 300-400 hz in the mids?

finally, what kind of bass? a bass that sounded fat and full with one amp, might sound sucked in with another. again, knowing how to fully implement your EQ on both the bass and amp is crucial to finding the right tone.

the EA might even seem moreso sucked in, yet IMHO, EA stuff goes incredible together. also
    and for my 10 cents, EA amps and Bergie cabs sounds fantastic together! gooey, gorgeous, lubby.

again, if you do a search, you'll find TONS of hits, but in short, GS112 is dark, smokey; CXL112 is bold, steely, pounding; and HT112's are sweet, articulate, pretty.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Agreed. I often use the Bergie HT112 with EA iamp600. To this description I would add that the cab has quite amazing low-end response for its size.

6. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    I just did some extensive a/b'ing of a CXL-112L and Epifani UL210 with an iAmp350. I realize that I am comparing a 12 with 10's, but I think I got a sense of the signature sounds of those cab makers. The Epifani was warmer, darker, and a little woolier. The EA cab was cleaner, more articulate - more hifi sounding. At low volumes, the Epi sounded richer. At gig volumes, the EA really shines. I chose the EA. FYI, the basses were a Celinder P with flatwounds, and a Dingwall Afterburner II 5 string.

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The new EA website is now up. There is a lot of info (with much more to come). Check out the "technology" pages and "Buyers Guide" articles. I think it answers a lot of questions. It did for me as I researched all the info.

www.euphonicaudio.com

Mike

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wow, i always liked the old site, but sheesh, the new one's even better!

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Don't know what kind of volume you could get out of the Berg 1x12 driven by an iAmp-350 (might be an issue there).

I would think it would mate better with the EA 1x12.

10. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    The new site is cool! They even used a quote from one of my threads here in thier "Buying a bass cabinet" section! I'm so flattered. :hyper:
    see and
    see well, I think its cool even if they used me as an example of what not to do and I replaced "brand A" with an EA cab anyways.

11. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I use 2 Berg's HT112's and a Walter Woods Ultra Hi Power amp. THE BEST sounding rig I've ever owned. I've also owned the EA CXL112's. They are great cabs, but the Berg's are PHAT!!!

:bassist:

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Smart man, very, very smart man!

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yes, I don't think that amp has enough power for that cab. As stated above, I get good results with the 600, which puts out about 450 watts into 8 ohms.

14. AJClone

AJClone

Mar 11, 2002
    Iowa
    Were you thinking it wouldn't have enough power to get very loud? I don't need a ton a volume so that one shouldn't be a problem if that's the case.

BTW, thanks for all the replies.

AJ

15. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

I would have to agree

AJ

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    That's sort of what I was thinking, but I have an HT322 not the HT112, so as to the HT112's particular real-world efficiency and what it takes to "wake it up" I could not directly address.

17. Berg HT112/EX112 with Demeter 201s and PLX2402
    Sweet!

Andrew do you have the Aualex Gramma under your two Bergs yet? Nice when you play on a box stage.

18. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Yes I have. the thing works great ! by the way (I just read your profile) I bought a lakland JO 4 from Wendall Edglington.

AJ

19. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Just checked out the new EA site. Can I emphasize how much I appreciate it when manufacturers include a "classic products" section? It's a great reference for those of us who remain confined to used gear AND gives you a useful frame of reference for appreciating current models. After all, most current gear wasn't created in a vacuum, but represents an evolution. Thanks EA.

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Oooo, great point!

nice to see how the products come along.