1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Berg HT-112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JOME77, Apr 6, 2006.

1. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Well, after digesting all the informative TB Threads on various 1-12” cabinets, I took a leap of faith and ordered the Bergantino HT-112 cabinet. Well, it arrived Tuesday and I played a gig with it for the first time last night. I was hesitate to bring it to the gig because we typically play louder at that gig than the norm but I just had to hear it at a gig! The cabinet sounded awesome! I was very impressed with how tight the cabinet sounded even with the Eden 550 cranked up around 12 o’clock. The cabinet never gave a hint of breaking up. It’s obviously a very tightly ported cabinet because even at those volumes, the speaker movement was minimal. Some TB’ers had stated that the cabinet lacked some in the low end area but, at least in the venue we played last night, it sound very thick and had excellent midrange growl that cut the mix nicely. I’d describe the lows as very controlled. Now I’m really thinking about adding the EX-112!

Thanks to everyone for all the great info on the various 1-12” cabinets!

2. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    J, if you like the HT alone you will really dig the HT/EX combination. It definitely gives you a much bigger sound. Ultimately it wasn't my sound (it hits a little high in the mids for me) but they are terrific cabs.

3. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Congrats! Yep, hold on to your butt if you get and EX to go with it.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Awesome! I am glad that you are happy with the HT112. :)

Tom.

5. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Glad you like the HT - I agree with the comments above and recommend you buy an EX to go with it when you can. I went in to BassNW to look at the Aggie 112 cabs a few years ago and they were out of stock at the time. The guys pointed me toward Berg cabs and after playing them was completely sold. They are fantastic. I play just the HT alone for acoustic jam stuff and pair it with the EX when needed - I find the sound to be huge and cuts through very well. I used to use a Bass Xciter to add depth, but after getting a great sounding head find that it is well enough left alone.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Just wanted to add that I played a gig last weekend with the HT112/EX112 combination (with my Walter Woods amp) and was knocked out by it...again. And this was outdoors, btw. Nice synergy with those two together, that's for sure! :eek:

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1... my HT210S has totally reignited my interest in my Walter Woods... wonderful combination with the Walter.

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I (will again) use an Eden 550 and Bergie HT112 at all my gigs. I think it sounds fantastic. If I needed more, I'd get an other HT or EX as well.

9. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    By all means consider adding an EX. The combination is awesome! As long as you are at it, add a Auralex Grama Pad as a platform for it all, and you are there. I love the difference it made!!

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    Oooo,

i remember my old Eden WT400 sounding great w/ the ol' HT112. nice little mix of tubey fur and clear pristine berg'ness.

11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    LOL. Huh?

12. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Sounds like adding an EX should definitely be in the near future! I'd much prefer carrying 2 of these cabs over a significantly heavier 210 or 410 cab.
    Even though I had read the dims of the cabinet I was still shocked at the size of the cab when I unboxed it!

I also paired the EX-112 with my Accugroove Tri-210 and the sound was pretty stinking awesome! No lack of low end there!

13. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Tom,
    Your comments on the Berg weighed heavy on my decison. I'd say your description of it's tone nailed what I heard last night! I've always felt it was difficult to describe tone but some of you guys do a pretty darn good job of it!:)
    I had originally ordered the Epifani UL-112 but changed it to the Berg.

Joker,
    Your old Eden WT550 definitely sweetens up that Berg too!
    Good sounding amp!:)

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Thank you for your kind words. I am happy to have been of assistance. :D

Tom.

15. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    If you dig the HT/EX, you'll go nuts over the IP/EX combo.

In all seriousness, even though other cabinets can have more low-end, the thing that amazes me about the Berg 12s are how tight the bass is. Even when you boost the bass, it doesn't get floppy, it gets tighter. I love that characteristic of these cabs.

Rooms can be boomy enough, so for those situations, I don't want my cabs to be boomy either.

16. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles

17. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I'm running a Clarus SL and an HT112 right now (I typically use my UL112 though). It sounds OK but a little sterile and mid-heavy. I stopped using the HT/EX rig for electric when a guitarist told me my sound was honky :bawl: (or maybe he was calling me a honky and I misunderstood?)

Anyway, I think alot of other amps probably work better with the HT/EX but I haven't heard the winning combo yet (No WWU at my house, sadly). I ran an Eden with it and didn't really dig the combination at all. (Sorry Joe, I'm sure yours sounds terrific!) I also struck out with the T-funk.

I love the HT for upright, so here's the question: What can IP do for me?

W

Edit: Hi B!!!

18. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'm not the best person to answer this, as I haven't heard the Clarus or the WWU, but the LAST word that comes to my mind when I think of the tone of the IP112 is "honky." At the price they're going for, I'd say a road trip to test one out might be a fun thing to do.

19. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Empty out your wallet and leave you with a huge smile. :D

Seriously, after hearing the IP112, I'm either as crazy as TomBo is, or there's something to the IP series. I talked to Jim at length, and the design of the power amp and programming of the DSP work with the cabinets design to optimize it's tone and responsiveness. When I first got the cab, my time was limited so I only got to play it for less than an hour. I was drooling over the next chance I got to play it. When the next chance came, I went over 4 hours straight and the sun went down before I even noticed and my wife had called twice to ask when I was coming home. I went home, thought about the cab, and repeated the process the next day.

I can go on and on with adjectives that still don't do the cab justice. Any chance you'd be willing to make the drive to NoVA? There's lots of places where your wife can shop around here;)

20. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    No offence taken! I know over the last few years I've come to prefer a tone with a little more mid emphasis. I used to go for more of a mid scooped sound (i.e. Alembic) but it just didn't cut through a live mix well. Also, my main bass currently is a Roscoe with the Demeter pre, which is a pretty flat and natural sounding pre. Most Roscoe's are fairly dark sounding but this one really has more of a warm modern tone and isn't nearly as mid heavy as some of the Roscoe's I've owned. Probably a combination of the woods I chose and the Demeter pre.
    I haven't tried my Mesa Walkabout with the Berg yet and I'm a bit curious as to how that will sound. I'll have to do that this weekend.