1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Berg Ht112 vs HT112 ER; initial impressions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassflute, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    Had a chance to A/B the two of them, powered by both a Markbass LMII and an E(vil) World T(Domination) 800B, and played with several MTD American 6's and good cables.

The differences are quite subtle. Physically, the new cab is just ever so slightly larger in all dimensions, however the overall impression is now of a conventional sized cabinet, even though it is still very small. It has a bit more bottom end, and it does go slightly deeper, as the stats would suggest. The fundamentals on a low B note are stronger and more dominant; you can now clearly hear the difference between an open D string and the note 1 octave lower.

The cabinet still has great balance, and clarity, and has little or no boominess or boxiness and exhibits all the wonderful qualities and sounds that make the HT112 one of the best small cabs there is. Bottom end is now more pronounced, smooth and deep, and this in a cabinet that is brand new, 2 days old, with only a few hours of playing on it; it will gradually open up a bit more and develop a rounder bottom end as the suspension on the woofer break in a bit. That beautiful patented Berg low-mid voicing and punchiness is still there, in droves, it just now needs a little less bottom-end EQ if you're a back-pickup player like me. The top end is still the best in the business. And it's still smaller than an Epifani, and MUCH smaller than an Aguilar GS112.

Jim Bergantino is a genius. He has made the best 112 cabinet on the market just that much better. Should HT112 owners run out and sell all their stuff? Probably not; the difference is subtle at best, and you might not notice anything if you're a four string player, or if you play with both pickups on, and use a lot of top end and midrange roll-off. Five strings and up will definitely like the enhanced fundamental of the new cabs.

All in all, a great tweak to an already great cabinet. 10/10.

Cheers,
    Cameron

2. Sounds like a nice tweak, and an improvement over the originals, which always sounded nice to me, but a little boxy and low end constrained when pushed. Cool! 43 pounds is a touch heavy for a 112 though (similar to my Aguilar DB112's).

I have a feeling that the ER stack might have even more noticable low end due to the coupling versus the smaller originals. I bet that would be a killer 2 x 112 execution.

3. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    I am going to go check out an HT112ER versus the AE210 next week I have a HT112 and want another Berg cab to match with it...I have been using a Markbass STD112 as my other 112 but I think if be happier with a full berg stack.

4. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Great, just when I talk myself into "I only need one multi-purpose cab", here comes all the talk about the new HT112ER.

A couple of those with a good chunk of power into each one probably wouldn't sound too bad.

I'm looking forward to hearing further comparisons and experiences with these. Keep 'em coming!

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for the comparison Cameron. I'll be upgrading my HT stack in the next few months. I'm glad to hear your thoughts......of course I'll be getting the IP version so that won't hurt either.

6. Awesome notes on the ER cabs...thanks.

Realllllly.....:eyebrow:

Interesting. Gear guru Gary (Roscoe5) had the IP-112 + EX, and while he thought it was cool, he didn't seem to find it brought enough to the table above and beyond the LM2 + HT/EX to be much of "upgrade."

Are you looking at the IP-112 or some other IP?

I'm thinking AE-410 myself. :hyper: (per Gary's recommendation)

7. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Thanks for the review Cameron - I was surprised that the ER only goes 'slightly' deeper. I was under the impression that it went 'way' deeper. :eyebrow:

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well, I'll certainly head over to Jim's to try some different combinations of cabs to compare to the IP112ER, but I'm pretty sure that that's the direction that I'm heading. I do remember trying the older IP112 next to a 112HT/LMII and I personally thought that there was no contest....the IP112 was so much more full and rich. I also will always remember playing one of the early IP112's on a gig and grinning from ear to ear. The big sound and the quick transients were intoxicating.

9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    For the ERs to go way deeper than the old cabs they'd have to be about twice as big!

Alex

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Which is why Jim should make a 212 again!!!!!!:D

11. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    and the whole voicing is just slightly pushed to the bottom end area more, but it still sounds like a Berg. Fabulous little cab. Bottom end is now comparable to the Epifani 112 (non-neo) with the gorgeous punchy mid and smooth, balanced treble response that only Jim is capable of doing.

I can't imagine the LMII being anywhere NEAR comparable to the IP series... wonder what kind of preamp they were using? The IP's I have tried are on a whole new level. The IP112ER must be absolutely amazing.

I'll know soon...

:bassist:

Cheers,
    Cameron

12. The IP310 is a total different beast from the little IP112. While I don't really dig the voicing of the IP310, it's a LOUD (I mean massively loud) beast.

In my A/Bing of the little IP112 with various other 'head with 112' combinations, I did not find the IP112 to be 'significantly' louder, etc. I don't think the small cab can really take advantage of the power and DSP capability of the IP line like the large 310 cab (it really is something).

It sounds nice though, but the weight of the IP112 (I believe it's a touch over 50 pounds) is a killer. It feels like lifting a deadweight sort of thing. I believe the new ER is even heavier.

That being said, I would assume the new ER version (I've only spent time with the original) would be able to take more advantage of the IP internal power (given its slightly lower tuning).

I also agree with Andy's point that a single IP112 at 500 watts sounds quite a bit more full and deep than the HT112 with the LMII running at 8ohms (270 watts and coming up to its limiting circuitry when pushed). However, once you get that LMII running at 4ohms with a 2 x 112 stack, it's just impressive as heck, and is exponentially more open, deep and full than its 8ohm operation. I did not sense that 'exponential' change in the IP112 when adding a cab (of course it got louder and fuller). I think that's where you get the favorable comparison of the IP112 stack with other 2 x112 stacks with 500-750 watt integrated heads.

IMO and IME there. It's all good stuff. I greatly prefer the AE voicing to most of Jim's other stuff, but there's something in his line for every taste at this point:hyper:

13. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Springfield, IL
    Bass Gear Magazine
    any more developments with this comparision

14. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
  15. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Actually, now, 8 months in, they go WAY WAY deeper..

Not neccesarily.

Yup, all that and more. The IP's are just astonishing at a gig - ANY gig.

Cheers,
    Cameron