1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Berg HT112 - Which Rack Case?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by degroove, Apr 17, 2006.

1. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    I have an SKB 4 space rack case for my Ashdown EVO. It fits perfecty atop a 410 or 210 cabinet. Problem is, if I use my Berg Cabinet, it is way to big to balance on top. I am using a HT 112 Berg/210 Eden setup now, and I have to balance the rackcase on its side on top of the Eden next to the Berg. I fear this is going to fall to the ground one day and make me sad. Thank goodness my gigs have had a corner for me to put between the Berg and the rack to keep it from falling.

Are their any other smaller rack cases that I could look into? Are their any mini rig users that have similar issues?

2. I have used a 2 space Gator rack bag and 3 space plastic rack, they fit pretty good, and have stayed in place so far with no modifications.

3. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Maybe a little silly sounding at first, but if space is too tight to allow for the speakers to sit next to the rack, then you could try and sit the speakers on top of the rack...

4. i usually put my rack bag on the floor next to my HT-112. when i'm playing with the classic 400, i put the HT-112 on top.

robb.

5. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    I was concerned about tone since speakers couple to the floor based on my understanding. That is not a bad idea.

6. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    I have never tried a rack bag. Does it provide good protection?

7. mine does. it's a plywood box with padding and nylon. so it's certainly not weak or even that light. other bags may be constructed differently.

robb.

8. GRoberts

GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I sit a 3U rack bag on top of my Bergie HT112/EX112 mini stack no problem. My rack bag hosues an Ashdown ABM500EVO and a Korg rack tuner.

Additionally, I set a Mackie Powered head PA mixer (408S) on top of th rack bag. All on top of the Bergie 112's. Works fine.

I am not a fan of putting my rack on the floor. I can just imagine stepping back and breaking off the 1/4" connector at the input jack. Not good. - Gary

9. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA

It definitely will effect tone. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing will depend on the situation. If you are in a boomy room, that can be a very good change. If you are in a place that eats bass frequencies, you probably aren't gonna be too thrilled.

Definitely some of the low end comes from coupling with the floor, walls, corners, etc.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I use a set of Auralex Mo-Pads (which were designed for small monitors, and are actually quite cheap) on either side of the top strap handle. This works for racks or for heads. And they are "two part" construction, so they can either provide a flat or an angled surface. I like the angled option when I use a small head, as I can angle the knobs up towards me for better access/visibility.

Tom.

11. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    "3U"? What manufacturer makes that?

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Gator makes a 3U rack bag, and numerous companies make 3U racks.

Tom.