Berg IP and tone shaping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tomshepp, Mar 6, 2006.

1. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA

My first post! Got to gig my new Bergantino IP 112 this past weekend. Did not use the ex cab that I plan to add. I did use my older Sadowsky 24 fret 5 string. I used an ART tube mp for a pre. Sent a direct signal to the board for PA support. The gig was in a large function room of a Boston hotel. Lots of windows, carpet floor, high ceilings. This band can get LOUD.

I was very impressed by the power/volume and punch of this cab. The clarity and articulation actually made it easier to play. No problem cutting through the mix.

I would, however have liked the ability to get more low end or a little scoop in the mids from the cab. I did have the cab off the floor on a road case so that may have been the low end problem. My question is, if I feel the need to adjust the tone I'm getting, are there recommended preamps for these cabs. Any help is much appreciated,

2. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Looks like a great cabinet. It's probably "flat" out of the box. Where most bassist are use to smiley face curves.

Is the DSP field programmable? Does it have a little interface - like a serial or USB port? If not, I wonder what Berg himself recommends.
  3. I'm sure Tom or Jim will post soon. I spent some time with the various IP cabs at Tom's GTG and I was very impressed. However, it is not surprising that you would want a preamp. My understanding is that you should not view the IP's as a 'combo' amp (even though they do sound good with the bass plugged in directly to the unit). You should really think of them as a powered cab (which is what they are). The DSP is meant to 'optimize' the sound going into the cab, and to make the cab have a more 'neutral' sound prior to your bass and preamp of choice. Another way to look at them IMO is just like a regular speaker with a power amp with various voicing filters (with the DSP acting as a more advanced 'factory preset' voicing filter)... the voicing filters on the power amp would be set based on the tuning of the cab, etc. Then, your preamp would be used to 'get your sound', or EQ for the room, etc.

I would think that room acoustics would require more tone shaping than a typical on board bass EQ or a little battery operated stomp box like the Sadowsky or Demeter pedal. IMO, that single space Aguilar that is now discontinued is just wonderful sounding, and very small and compact. I know they still have a new one at Low Down Sound in Detroit, and I'm sure there are many on the used market... just a GREAT sounding little single spaced pre... warm and clean at the same time... that would be my call!

Finally, no matter what the tuning, wattage, etc., don't expect too much out of a single 112 on a loud gig!