Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Berg IP cabs, anyone have one ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassgruvn, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Hey all
    I am looking at these cabs with a little GAS going on. :hyper:
    Anyone have em yet ?

2. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    I might have one of the 112 persuasion :cool: . Tom Bowlus has the only 322 made and I believe the 310 and 212.

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I don't have one yet and it pains me so. These, in my opinion, are the best thing to happen to bass amplification.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

What he said ^

5. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    Drop everything, sell your car, mortgage the house and buy a Berg IP cab! And hope your wife doesn't find out....:bag:

6. Lucky me, I have a very understanding wife :p

7. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    I have the IP 112 w/ EX 112. Using the Epifani Quest II for a pre. = AMAZING! Sold an Eden WT 300 w/ 2 210 XLT's. Not even close. It ultimately comes down to sound, But these are also very portable.

8. prismacolor2

prismacolor2

Nov 6, 2003
    Boston
    I have one too. I actually own the proto IP112 and helped Jim with the R&D on the whole line. It still knocks me out every time I play through one (about 10 times a day because I demo/sell them in a music store). Peoples jaws always drop when I hook up the IP112 by itself, on the floor. First they ask: is all that coming out of that (pointing at the IP112) - then some expletives - then they ask what the pre is and I point to a $50 tube mic pre with no eq controls on it. Then they start figuring out what gear they will need to move to buy one.

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I am impressed with the concept -- don't get me wrong -- but what I would like to know is if I could get more or less the same general effect by adding a graphic EQ to my rig and setting up the curve using a real-time analyzer.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    This is as good as it gets, in my book. Check out my initial thread on these powered cabs.

Tom.

11. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Or some sort of modeling?

(I've wondered this myself.)

:D

Joe.

12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    If I understand modeling, it would be the same thing as EQ if the "model" were simply a desired frequency response. I suppose one could also model the cone excursion and apply some sort of limiting based on the Xmax of the driver. But you could do that with an analog circuit.

But if it got to the level of complexity where I have to rig up a DSP and figure out how to program it -- a lovely hobby project, don't tempt me -- it would cease to be a short term proposition.

And I would not do this simply to avoid buying an IP cab, because that's a waste of time, but I have been independently playing with equalizing my existing cab using a reference microphone and real time analyzer.

13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I tried the 310 at ATL Discount... cool stuff. It's a bit more than I would spend for that technology, Glad it is getting rave reviews from y'all.

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Jai, I hope you get to try one of these out in a real world situation someday. That's where these things excell.

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    that makes sense... since I have a business relationship with the Berg-dealer here in Atlanta, he might have to let me drag one out to a gig. Is 1000 watts enough for a 310? I kinda like more head room. I Generally like double what ever cab-config I'm using.

... on a side not, I tried the slim 112 and slim 210 together... wow, that has some killer bottom-end for such a small footprint!

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The IP310 is stupid loud! Yes, it will handle any gig. Just ask the guys who were at my GTG. On its own, the IP310 was one of the loudest setups there. :D

17. I played that rig at ADM, and couldnt agree more. I liked the HT210S so much I had Marshall order me one. Should be here this week.:hyper:

18. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

There is a shop I heard of that has basiclly every piece of bass gear imaginable. I can't remember the name. They have a couple.

Oh, it's is Ohio. I think it is called Tom's Bass Shop. :bag:

Look it up.

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Some day! :p

20. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    BS!!! It is today. LOL You got it all man. Love it!