1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Berg IP112 + EBS Microbass II - compatible?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassed in NZ, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Bassed in NZ

Bassed in NZ ...in search of the impeccable groove...

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Got a question - does anyone know if an EBS Microbass II will effectively drive a Bergantino IP112ER?

I think the IP112 prefers a line level input - can anyone confirm? Does anyone have a full manual (pdf version)?

I'm no electronics guru - microbass has a balanced output of 500ohms, -10dBv (which I think is mic level?), but also an unbalanced 1/4" output that I can't find any spec's on (but believe is much higher than mic level). Volume control on the microbass affects the 1/4" output only...

Has anyone tried this combination and can confirm that it works or not?

I have the microbass which I really dig, and am considering the IP112ER (+EX112ER), but nearest dealer is 10hrs drive away (though will ship to me on trial - thanks George!)

Before I pull the trigger on a trial, some TB help would be much appreciated! Anyone?

Cheers...

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've got a Microbass, and I see no reason it wouldn't work with the Berg. It's a preamp, and it's certainly not lacking in output. You could always email EBS about it...they take a couple days to answer emails sometimes but they'll get back to you.

http://www.ebs.bass.se/2007/contact.htm

3. Alper Yilmaz

Alper Yilmaz Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    When I do not have the energy and time to pack and carry the Millennia TD-1 to the gigs, I take the MicroBass with me and drive my IP112/HT112 setup with it. I have not realized any level issues with this combination. Particularly, for smaller gigs where I prefer having only the IP112 with me, this is actually an ideal setup in terms of its size. Highly recommended!

Cheers,

Alper

4. Bassed in NZ

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Thanks guys - much appreciated.

Thanks Alper - very welcome news. Do you drive the IP112 from the XLR or the 1/4" jack on the Microbass?

Any other comments also welcome!

Matt

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I would love to try the EBS. My experience is that some pres work and some are optimum.

6. David Wiener

David Wiener Banned

Sep 30, 2005
    Huntington, NY
    Hi- I have tried that combination and it works fine. Plenty of gain. I happen to think the IP 112 ER and the HT 112 ER are great cabinets. The power amp in the IP is the best. Class A sound and amazing clarity.

Best regards, Dave

7. Alper Yilmaz

Alper Yilmaz Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey Matt,

I use the XLR output of the MicroBass, which, I believe, is the DI out. The gigs I play are usually at small jazz clubs, and therefore, I do not need the PA support. I never tried the 1/4" jack, but I am sure it will be more than enough to feed the IP112.

The reason I bought the MicroBass was actually to use it with AI Focus, which has limited EQ potential for electric bass. In this combination also, I use the DI output which is phantom powered by the AI Focus. Therefore, I do not have to carry the transformer or worry about batteries.

Cheers,

Alper

8. Bassed in NZ

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Guys,

Thanks for taking the time to respond - really appreciated.

Looks like it's time to trial... :bassist:

Peace,

Matt

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Real question to ask EBS is what kind of volts does it put out. The IPs like to see .70 volts (-3.0dbv) for full power and an input impedance of 39K ohms. I've tried many a piece with the IPs and it sounded great only to realize it was adequate not outstanding. When you hear outstanding you get it. Plugging directly into an IP is good but no way is it optimum.

10. Bassed in NZ

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chadds - excellent point, thanks for that. I'll add that to my questions to EBS / Bergantino - if I get some answers I'll post back here...

11. Bassed in NZ

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Thought I'd post a quick summary of what I've found re using the EBS Microbass & Bergantino IP112ER/EX112ER together.

Quick summary - AWESOME, and no problems with matching drive levels.

Got the following from Mats (EBS Technical Director):
    And from Jim Bergantino:
    I used the rig combination at a few gigs over the last couple of weeks, and here's my take:
    1) I use the Microbass in A+B mode with the -10dB input pad engaged (i.e. active mode) for my Lakland 44-02. Microbass boost control at around 9 o'clock (so no preamp clipping with full output from the bass).
    2) Plugged 1/4" output from Microbass into IP112ER - set the IP at approx 12:00
    3) Played with a full band for a church conference setting (120+ people all singing back at you) with the rig as the only bass amplification (not through PA). Enormous amounts of volume available - had the bass and the preamp volumes set both at about 1/2 way, and there was more than enough grunt to clearly hear the bass at the back of the hall, through everyone singing (was able to check it out when another bass player did a session using my gear).

So, plenty of level available - the Microbass seems to be well suited in terms of level to the IP.

And the tone - ahh - clear, articulate, punchy, and lets the sound of the bass really come through. The size of the IP is great, and I love the Microbass for it's versatility and light touch in defining tone. I dial in a bit of drive and edge for warmth, slightly boost the low mids (~250Hz), and with the Lakland have a wide range of tones on hand to cope with different style through a set.

Doing a short tour of Australia (3 cities) in 300-500 seat venues, so looking forward to turning it up a bit and hearing it sing!

Oh, and if you're in Australia or New Zealand and are looking for an IP rig, give George a call at bassgeardirect - he's excellent!

12. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    I wonder why you wouldn't just run the IP flat out like you do with most power amps, to achieve optimum S/N ratio, etc.

I'm about to buy one of these babies, so I'd like to know. I'm extremely puritanical about signal chain, unity gain, etc. How does the IP sound with its power amp turned partway down as opposed to full blast?

Also, I have a line on an Aguilar DB 680 pre - the big one. Anybody use the IP series with this preamp? Thought and comments would be welcomed.

Cheers,
    Cameron

13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Actually about the same with a subtle more fullness at full blast. Tom B recommends 3/4 to full. I have found that sometimes in a studio environment turning it just up 1/2 allows the pre to get cranked where it may shine more yet the whole rig is not too loud. IPs can be gloriously loud.

This allows many options. Outside I crank the IP and use the pre for all control. Some quieter gigs where the pre doesn't hit it's sweet spot on 2 and you can hear this I turn down the IP. An IP turned way down sounds just as present and good as it does up loud when the pre is cranked. You'll see.:)

Again many devices work with the IP. A Joe Meek channel strip works but when you try a real pre with real AC power not AC to 9 volts DC you know what you are missing. It may not matter to you. YMMV.

14. Bassed in NZ

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    +1
    Sounds great at the lower volumes as well, and absolutely agree with setting the pre (and bass) levels so they sit in their sweet spots and allowing for these in the IP volume still sounds superb - and I suspect if I had the IP fully cranked for some of the smaller gigs, I'd have very little room for adjustment on the bass or pre!

"IP's can be gloriously loud" - great quote chadds!