1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Berg IP310 + SansAmp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greyvagabond, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Have any of you used a plain 'ole SansAmp pedal to drive one of the IP series bergs? I'm intrigued by this concept, as I could get into a gig carrying my bass and pre-amp in a gig bag, and one cab...would be a nice one-trip! I really like the sound of my SansAmp, so I figure using it as a preamp is a good idea, except I've heard they might not be able to put out enough current to properly drive a poweramp...

2. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I tried and didn't like it. The tube emulation didn't work at all through the IP. It sounded great on paper but didn't work in application. At least for me.

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've got a friend who has an IP112 with a Sansamp para driver and he seems to be fighting his sound all of the time. He always looks frustrated with his sound when I see him play. As I've played the IP112 out myself I know that it's the Sansamp. I wouldn't suggest it.

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    :) Get an IP.
    Then think about what you want to hear coming out of it.
    Avoid all DIs, 9volt pres, and everything else that has an XLR out.
    Yes even your Lionel Train engines.:)
    Set a budget.
    Then try all these great things out there.
    I'm gonna say the Kern IP-777 is the tube story here. Was there prescience that it's called IP?
    If you want SVT ish go for the SVP pre. Old school with some limited frequency response, the Alembic. Tiny you got your Bass Buddy. In between with great clear hifi plus tube sound but limited gain structure and eqing, the Summit TD-100. Best under $500 you can spend sound wise.
    You can still have that one trip though.
    My 19" rack pres are each in a Protec rack bag that sits on your cab or can be shoulder slung. The pockets and insides hold all your wires.
    So bass over your shoulder it's a one trip. Since I have to move the car it's two trips anyway.:)

5. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    I'm really hoping to try the new Tone Hammer with my IP112/EX112 soon - everything I've heard about it makes it seem like the best small-box solution.

I had a BDDI and used it with the IP, but it had to be cranked almost all the way up and still didn't seem to drive it 'right'.

6. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Not to be dense, but has anyone tried the Fishman Platinum unit with these? The Tech 21 VT? I have an IP112 being shipped to me as I type this and am not sure what I am going to use as a front end. My main gigging basses are passive ('78 P and a Dingwall ABI). Obviously if I don't have anything suitable, a PJB Bass Buddy would not break the bank or anything, but I haven't found anything on this forum about the Fishman unit.

7. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Just a follow up, the Fishman Pro Platinum DI works pretty well if you use the 1/4 inch out. The XLR...not so much. Surprisingly, so does the line out from my GK MB150 - go figure.