Berg NV115 owners - Mid driver question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 6and5, Oct 23, 2017.

1. 6and5

6and5 Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2016
    San Diego
    Hey all,

Picked up an NV115 from Bass San Diego a few weeks back. Sounded great the first couple jams with the band. The last 2 practices, something didn't quite sound right. Thought at first it might be the different rooms we jammed in, because we kind of grab whatever's available. But I checked the drivers over anyway to make sure everything seemed to be working right. The sub is doing its thing, but no obvious movement from the mid driver at all. Stuck my ear right up in front of it, and doesn't seem to be putting anything out.

I would guess that movement from the mid driver would be less obvious than from the sub due to shorter throw to reproduce the frequencies, but this one doesn't seem to be moving at all. Can any of you all confirm what you see on yours?

- Steve

2. I've got an NV215 which has an attenuater on the mid driver (summink I love. ..and. ..who knows. ..maybe I'd've bought a couple of NV115s if they had em as well. .. might not have too )
    But on my NV215 I've never NOTICED movement on the li'l mid driver, I HAVE however heard the up front growl it enhances from my tube amps. ..and I do so diggeth thy tone - eth... ;)
    So. .. sorry I can't REALLY help ya much. .. I'd assume that if I turned up my mid driver fully, I'd hear a little bit of hiss. ..but. .. can't say that I have.
    Maybe tagging @Jim Bergantino will help. Can't hurt that the designer and builder of the cab in question is superb at customer service and regularly on here :bassist:

Al Kraft likes this.
  3. 6and5

6and5 Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2016
    San Diego
    Oooh...NV215...now THAT has to be a beauty. Thanks for the input. I'm going to try troubleshooting a bit more at practice on Wed. before I hit up Berg support. Hoping to discover user error. Really wouldn't surprise me if movement was undetectable because now that I think about it, I've never noticed it on any of the guitar cabs I've ever owned.

4. Yeah, I'd be doin a bit of slap with some nice new (bright) strings. ..at a reasonable volume. ..& sticking my ear right up to that li'l mid driver. You SHOULD be able to hear the difference between it and the 15"

5. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

How 'bout the old "9 volt battery test"?
    That'd tell you if it's moving.

6. 6and5

6and5 Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2016
    San Diego
    Happy to report, user error! Not that I enjoy claiming my own stupidity, but I want to make sure there's no shade thrown on the Bergantino name because of it. Long story, and while it would be an entertaining journey (for you all) into the realm of, "You've been playing for 20 years, you should have known better," I'll spare the details. Suffice it to say, problem solved. Mids are happening. Love the cab. Want two of them now, but I'm afraid the tone boner I'd have would be too obvious to anyone watching, or might be mistaken for being attracted to my drummer. Good guy, don't get me wrong, but not my style.

Cheers, y'all!

Al Kraft, BigBobbyBass and Lowendtech like this.
  7. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Barrackville WV
    :roflmao::roflmao:

Al Kraft likes this.
  8. Lowendtech

:smug::roflmao:
    Being able to be real preserves ones dignity whether in error or not. It's all very good.

Al Kraft likes this.
  9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

me? I want to know what the OP did wrong. :)

Comparing real and pretend preserves has a lot to do with jam but not playing bass. :D

jnewmark likes this.
  10. Lowendtech

Well I have jammed with my bass a lot but in truth, I've never actually had jam on my bass. But it has been sticky a few times. ;)

BassmanPaul likes this.
  11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

That would probably move it to death. Just measure it with a multimeter.

Play some music from an iPod or the like through the amp. You should hear the mid range with that kind of a music source.

12. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    What did OP do then undo?
    Some kind of selective hearing pedal effect?
    Is it like when you can hear your friends but not your parents? :)

13. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    I had the same question with my NV115. I also could not detect any movement on the mid driver but Jim suggested running some recorded music through it which I did and it sounds great and works fine.

"A battery won't work to test the 6"mid since there's a capacitor in the crossover network to it which blocks the DC of the battery. Try playing music thru the cab and let me know if you hear anything coming from it"

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018