Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Berg NV215 and a favor

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzbasser79, Dec 29, 2005.

1. jazzbasser79

jazzbasser79

Oct 30, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Hey everyone,

So i'm down to that final decision...drive 8 hours to try the nv215...order it without playing it...or wait until something pops up in la. I've read every thread on the NV series, but without playing them first I can't convince myself that they'll sound good with my band. We play classically influenced rock and roll, and on the side I play just about every other style there is. I love that huge classic rock tone thats deep but also cuts through. Kind of like JPJ's tone but with more flexibility. Right now i have an aggie dbb750 into an epi410ul.The 410 sounds great, but isn't deep enough and growly enough. I'm keeping it for the other styles though.

So that being said, any piece of mind you guys could give me would be great. If anyone has a nv215 in la and is willing to let me try it i'd greatly appreciate it. I have one on hold in Sacramento, so I need to make my decision soon.

Thanks guys!

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I own a few Epi cabs so I'm not down on the 410ul, in fact I think they are excellent. The NV215 is a whole different beast. I demo'd a nv610 and it was incredible. The sealed design has a shallower roloff, but it rolls off sooner, and it sounds more "natural" to me. Since you are keeping the 410 you can compare them side by side if/when it happens. But I think you will notice more growl and you might hear the lows better. The db750 is surely going to take care of that :bassist:

I think that the NV is going to fit the bill very well based on your expectations. JPJ, indeed.

3. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    If you decide you want to go the NV 610 route, I know someone in LA that owns one, and might even want to sell his. PM me, and I can get you in touch with him.

-Aram

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Hearing is believing, so if you can fit in a nice road trip, I'd go for it. If not, I'd just buy it before someone else does. There weren't that many of these made, and with how they sound, I doubt you will see many come up on the used market.

Tom.

5. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Hmmm... :eyebrow: ...an 8-hour drive from La-La Land to check-out an NV215... perhaps you're contemplating a visit with Juan Ortiz up there in Rancho Cordova??? If so, you better have left yesterday!

My band plays nothing but 60s, 70s and a handful of 80s classic rock tunes. I, too, have a DB750, and I play it through an NV215... :bassist: I also have an Eden D410XLT, which I use in a couple of venues that have very small stages. However, I prefer the NV215, 'cuz it simply sounds better for the kind of music we play... IMO!

Now... getting back to Senior Juan up there near Sacramento way... he only yesterday shipped my NV425, which I ordered the week before Christmas. So, if he's got an NV215 sitting on his showroom floor, and you're not about to walk into his door at this very moment... I'd be making a phone call, and pleading for him to hold it for you!

BTW... once the NV425 shows up, the D410XLT will be FOR SALE...

Mucho Aloha... and good luck! :D

6. I'd jump on any NV series cab you can find out there. Like Tom said there aren't many out there and now that Jim is stopping production people will be buying them up and holding onto them. That's what made me jump on my NV425 deal.

Jeff

7. jazzbasser79

jazzbasser79

Oct 30, 2005
    Los Angeles
    welp...i'll be driving up to visit Juan on Monday. I convinced my dad somehow to come along so it'll be a fun male bonding drive and we can both obsess over our passions. His being sailing, and mine being bass and sailing...Why is it that women don't understand their partners obsessive hobbies? I'm definitely getting yelled at by my girl for going to Sac and back from la...Hopefully i'll have a 215 in tow.(and maybe trick my dad into getting the 610...)

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Sounds like a very cool dad! :cool: :cool:

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I understand that Juan has an IP310 and IP212 in stock, so do yourself a favor and give these a listen, too!

10. AllI know is that I tried a NV610 and it blew me away!!! As soon as I sell my Goliath SR. I'm getting one!!!

11. yomchi247

yomchi247

Sep 6, 2004
    how does the HT322 sound? Does it pick up the good low end along with highs?

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Most definitely. The HT322 is a great sounding cab, with very good performance from bottom to top.

Tom.

13. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Now how did I know that... ;)

Tell 'ol Juan that David in Honolulu says, "Howzit, brah!"

I'm still anxiously awaiting the arrival of my NV425... :bassist: