Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Berg NV215 on the Bay

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alex, Feb 18, 2006.

1. I'm sure that SOMEBODY is looking for one of these.

2. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    if only I had $750 :crying:

3. Only $550 right now.

4. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Yeah... don't have that either though

And I just bought an Avatar 212 neo not too long ago.

some day...

-Alex
    p.s. this thread is dominated by alexs. score.

5. lol, yeah, but ~Alex > -Alex :D

Man if this cab stays at $550 I might just buy it. Screw that portable 2 x 112 stack I was going to get! :rolleyes:

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Wow! Great deal, even at the BIN price, especially considering that they are no longer made.

Tom.

7. Hey Tom, question for you since you own this cab: How portable is it considering its size and weight? I currently have the 120 lb. 410HLF, and I am just done moving that thing around. I was going to get 2 x 112's (Aggie GS112 + Avatar 112) so that I could have more portable cabs and flexibility ie the ability bring only 1 to rehearsals and smaller shows, and 2 to bigger gigs, etc. but this Berg being the tone monster that it is (I've never actually heard it but I trust you guys) going so cheap, I might just go for the Berg. What do you think I should do based on the portability of the Berg? How hard/easy is going up stairs with it when you're alone? Would it fit in a station wagon?

I'm also worried that 15's won't have much punch. (?)

Anyone else who has had experience with the NV215, feel free to tell me about them.

Thanks a lot

~Alex

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The NV series cabs are surprisingly portable. The tilt back casters make them a breeze on level ground. Stairs with one person are okay. The handles are well placed and the weight is quite managable. My only gripe is that my shins tend to hit the bottom of the cab as I go up steps, but I really don't see any way around that when you're moving a cab this tall. All in all, it was much more portable than I anticipated.

It fits in my Audi wagon with ease.

As for "punch", it seems that everyone has a different take no just what that means. I find that it has a very balanced midrange, and not as "punchy" as my NV610, but then again, not scooped in any way. The super deep/tight lows, though, are its most addicting quality, IMHO. Tha, and the higher frequency articulation from the 6" midrange.

9. How much effort would it take to get it up to our 3rd floor rehearsal room? I mean, it 93 pounds!

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    If I had to do that on a regular basis, I would either:

A.) consider it my regular workout routine, and strap on a weight belt; or

B.) get a nice hand truck with big pneumatic tires.

It's quite doable, but moving anything that big up and down two-three flights of steps would get old. Still, it'd have to be better than the heavier 4x10.

Tom.

11. Tempting.

If it's that bad I might just err on the side of caution and get 2 112s

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I was being a bit facetious. :p It's really amazingly easy to carry for a cab of its size. But, it is a cab of its size, and you are talking about two flights of steps, so the call is yours.

Tom.

13. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    I have a NV610 and I would much rather haul that around than deal with the constant dead lifts of a 410.

14. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...once you hear any NV, the weight(which is nill IME),won't matter in the least...

~S~

15. That's the thing; never heard one before. I'm not even sure that it's exactly what I'm going for. I might just tell mark at the bass club that this is on sale and he should definitely get it cuz they are so awesome. Then I can try it out before I buy it :D

16. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...trust me(& Tombowlus)...you might never get a chance again, regretfully...

~S~

PS: Just buy one...

17. I also know of a store in Texas that they will sell to me for $720 shipped.

Damn I'm so torn. I would feel guilty dismembering my current setup in the name of portability and then just going and getting a cab (almost) equally heavy and unportable. :meh: Perhaps I will have money left over to throw a 112 on top of it for the price it's going at.

I'm also worried about shipping. I calculated postage on UPS and Fed Ex and both estimated costs were like $200+ am I missing something?

:help:

18. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    quit being a wuss...:p
    you can always sell it for what you paid for it: being used and not new.
    MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!
    but seriously.....
    choose wisely.
    :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

19. If I had heard it before I would be more fit to make this decision, but right now I'm leaning towards the 2 x 112 stack. I just can't put down that much money on something that I've never heard, and isn't nearly as portable as something else. AFAIK there could just be minute tonal differences and I'd be out in the cold with a heavy, expensive rig. :meh:

Tom or Devilman would you happen to have audio clips of your Bergies?