Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Berg Nv215 Or Mesa 1516

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nighttrain1127, Jan 2, 2006.

1. I have access to either a Berg NV 215 Or a Mesa 1516b Cab.Will be using it with a Mesa 400+ amp And an assortment of basses. I play mostly Classic Rock and some funk ect. No Heavy Excessively loud stuff. Just wondering what would work best. :bassist:

2. Get the Mesa, I know the Berg's are meant to be amazing and becoming hard to get but with a 400+ you cannot go past a 1516b

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Get the Berg while you still can.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Berg.....no contest. Now..the Mesa cabs are fine gear, but the Berg will be lighter, easier to transport, and sound better. I'd say that's 3 out of 3.

5. Peg_legs

Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    another vote for the Berg

6. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    K-den! Try do this as if you're singing the opening bars to "The Mickey Mouse Club Theme Song"...

BERG... BERG... BERG... BERG; BERG... BERG... BERG... BERG...

Get it? :D

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Berg all the way. The NV215 is my favorite cab to use with tube amps.

Tom.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Berg. Especially with a tube amp. :)

9. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Depends on what speaker sizes you like I guess.. I went for a 1516BE because the cab sounds amazing over the whole range and really shows off the 400+. I am not so keen on 2x15 cabs when used by themselves. Guess you are just going to have to try them both!

10. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I'd get the Mesa for 2 reasons:

1) Cheaper.
    2) Most people would say get the Bergantino.

But I'm just like that.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I don't know this for a fact either way, but are you sure the Mesa is cheaper?

12. Mesa Can be found used for 400.00 . Bergs are over 800.00

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    So you're comparing the used Mesa price to a new Berg price? Used prices vary so much. For example, there is a used NV610 on the forum for less than the price you quoted. I think for apples to apples, we should compare new/new. As I said, I DON'T know what these prices are, but I bet they are comparable.

14. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    If you're anywhere near North Carolina, here is a Mesa 1516 for $300

Mesa at MGR

I would still vote for the Berg. It's worth the extra money, and would save on the roadies. The Berg's not an ultralight, but I'm pretty sure the Mesa is much heavier.

15. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    I would reccomend looking for a BE version with electrovoice speakers, that one above looks a bit knackered doesn't it!! Thanks for the link though.

16. The Mesa is a be version and the reason for used against new is Mesa does not make the 1516 anymore. But the general opinion is Berg so that is the way to go I guess. :bassist:

17. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd go for the Bergie, or maybe a Bergie 425 or 610. All are excellent cabs. The Mesa is a decent cab, but I like Bergs better. I use a 400+ with a Bergie 610 and it kicks ass! I may be adding a Bergie 210 or some such tweetered Bergie cab soon, and you may want to do that as well eventually for funk.

18. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Haven't tried the Mesa, but the NV215 is my favorite cab of all time...:bassist: