Berg NV610 vs. NV215

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Saetia, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Hello fellow TB'ers,

I've been drooling over these cabs for quite some time. I think I will want to pull the trigger on one of the two very soon. I'd get rid of my current Eden gear (410t and 215xlt) to get them, I did a search on them and got more info on the NV610 then the NV215.

I've read the specs, and handling and such but am wondering, how many watts do you guys throw at yours? How power hungry are they? What do they like?

Secondly I would like to know if anyone has A/B ed them and which one they liked more and why?

I noticed that the NV215 goes lower and higher then the NV610 but is a tid bit less sensative and has less cone area.

Any comments, and information would be great, I am unable to demo them at this moment, and buying is a few months off.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

When I went to NYC last November I deliberately did not audition the NV215 because I'm in a 12-step program for Bergie addiction. I love my NV610, though. I push it with 650 watts from one channel of my Stew World 2.1. My other option would be to bridge all 2100W into it, but thankfully that hasn't been necessary so far. :eek:

Seems like you did your research, but it should be stressed (for others if not you) that the Bergie "New Vintage" series cabs are different animals than modern ported/tweetered cabs such as Eden, Epi, or Bergie HT. Too vintage for some folks. I love my NV610 because... well, it has that vintage SVT vibe. Treble comes through the speakers and not a tweeter... possibly not good for modern slap tone, but richer and warmer to my ears. Frequency response isn't as low as a ported cab, but tone is "tighter", more "focused"... or as I like to say, "growls like a mofo<sup>&copy;</sup>".

I play five-stringers exclusively, btw... I think the NV610 sounds great across the entire fretboard, even below E.
  3. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Fuzz bass,

I play Warwick, I love growl. I play Eden now because I love the wooly mid that it has.

I play slap but not with my band, just for my solo stuff I do by myself with noone else around. I'll still have other cabs with tweets if I ever want to break them out. Mostly finger style and pick here for me when the song calls for it. I turn my tweeter on my Edens off. Not a tweeter fan here.

I love a thick, rolly, old school tone, usualy a bit more mid then a vintage tone though. I usually set everything flat with the lows at about 1 and the low mids around 2.

My question is if it will cut with two guitars that are overdriven maybe 55% of the time. A loud drummer that knows dynamics.

I wouldn't call Eden a vintage cab, but that's as close as I've gotten with any of my own gear.

My tone now is a fat, warm rolly sound that stands out and sweeps you along, no clank or fret noise (I know that's right hand technique, but some people like that in there). Just very smooth.

I plan on aquiring a fretless or converting my Vette into that and wonder how they sound with a nice mwuah, or if I'd need something with a bit more modern definition? I'm sure can be worked with proper eq'ing though.

Thanks for the info, and the info to come.

Ohh BTW, that's good that it can handle below E, the band I'm in now calls for drop D tuning (4 banger here) so that's a plus for me having a lower frequency responce.
  4. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    the new bass player mag has a favorable review of the bergie nv215... maybe wanna' check that out. i don't recall them doing one on the 610 though... :bassist:
  5. I'm running an NV-610 with a '76 SVT. It really does capture that SVT vibe. It's quick, punchy and tight. I'd consider the midrange a bit smoother than that of the 810e, but it can still get that snarl. It's got better low end and top end response than the 810e too! It's certainly as loud as the 810.
    It also sounds amazing with distortion, if you're into that...;)

I'll second Fuzzbass on its behaviour with the 5 string. I usually play a 5 and the B sounds great with this cab. Considerably better than it did with my old 410HLF.

I'm afraid to try an NV-215, becuase I just know I'll want one, so it's good that there's no dealer within 2000 miles of here.....
  6. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    I've pushed my nv610 with both 380 Watts (700rb) and 540 Watts (1001rb.) Both sound wonderful and neither is close to the 750 Watt RMS rating. At this point, I really don't see myself ever gigging with any other cabinet. It's killer.
  7. Fuzzbass

I've never owned an Eden cab, but I will say that one of the great features of a sealed cabinet such as a Bergie NV or Ampeg 8x10 is the way it cuts through.
  8. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Thanks much for all of the info so far. I believe I will be endulging in this cab when I have the money to throw down.

So would you guys say that a sealed cab would actually be very good for a fretless? Because of the punch and thump to help it grunt through the mix?

Thanks again,

9. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Get both! Alempic F-1x into Stewart World into NV215 on one side NV610 on the other.

Oooooooooooooooooooooh yeah. :cool:
  10. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    I would love that, but I already have a 410 215 set up which is overkill hehe. Plus I'm looking at getting just one cab for the time being, and I think the NV610 will be the one for me. Maybe some day when the arena gigs come around :rolleyes: haha! Maybe in like 6 or 8 months I'd be able to throw down on the NV215.... the hardships of GAS while being a college student.

11. Man you were up late Gasin' on these cabs....
    I love my NV610! Using it Saturday at Chicago's Navy Pier Miller Lite Stage. It's always a fun gig. I agree with Fuzz, it's the punch that did it for me. I don't slap hardly at all and the Ol-Skoo vibe is there in spades. This cab cuts through the mix like a Samuri Sword cutting a silk scarf. I would love to try a NV215, but I'm terrified of buying it and not being able to decide which one to play. I definatley don't want to cart two bigger cabs around even a couple times a year....
    The cab is actually quite easy to move and is thin and tall to fit nicely in most setups. I'm real happy I got one. Hope you can choose.
  12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    BP did do a review on the NV 610 within the last 6 months I think... I want one of each! :eek: :D
  13. Fuzzbass

I ain't giving up my HT310 or my NV610! In short: the HT310 will have a bigger sound: deeper lows, brighter highs. Because of this, it'll probably win A/B tests in the showroom (for most bassists, anyway). The NV610 is like the old SVT cabs. Frequency response isn't as wide as modern cabs, but the sealed box design makes it tighter and punchier. So, for some of us, the NV610 works better for gigging.

I've used my NV610 almost exclusively this year, but for the past few gigs I've gone back to the HT310 (with HT210 on top @larger gigs). Love 'em both... again, it's "punchier" vs. "bigger".

To answer your other question: according to Jack my Purity was shipped late last week, so hopefully I'll have it for my gig this Friday. I'm going to try the Read with both my NV and HT speakers (but not at the same gig!)
  14. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Just to make things more diificult for all of you..............
    Jim B. just brought by the NEW NV Series cab last night!!!!!
    Are you ready?...............NV-425
    Yeah kids....1x15+3x10's
    I've got the first one in the shop if anyone wants to hear it. It looks like July delivery sometime.
    Sorry to do this to you all, but I couldn't resist!!!!! :hyper:
  15. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    holy jesus. how much does it weigh? How does it sound? Does it make coffee in the morning?
  16. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Does it make coffe? NO!!! But it helps with bowel movements!!!!!
    The cabinet is the same dimensions as the NV-610/NV215 and weighs 95 pounds.
    The sound is similar to the NV-610, but with a little more "fat" down below. It has the same high frquency "sweetness and roundness" as the NV-610 as well. Guys who like a more open sounding top will still prefer the NV-215.
    I'm gonna gig this NV-425 soon, and can give a better review once I do. Anyone in the Boston area is welcome to take it for a test ride at a gig.....anytime!
  17. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I need one of each! :bawl: :D Could you comment on the differences between the NV 215 and the NV 610? :bassist:
  18. Fuzzbass

Heh! Well, Josh, you've described the HT310 as punchy, and I agree (which is why I kept my HT310 and sold my HT212). If you ever decide you need "more punchier" you know where to look, but really, it's just the old apple/orange dilemma.

And... damn you, GEEK, I did NOT want to hear about any new Bergie cabinets! :mad: :p
  19. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Quick question on tone: Which would get me closer to the reggae dub sound, a ported or a sealed cab? I'm looking for that Queen - We Are The Champions kind of tone that's found in most reggae songs... very deep and rich.
  20. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    I’ve had both cab’s in the shop and while the 610 is an awesome cab and very open yet still gives the old ampeg growl and tone, the 215 blew me away. The 215 was huge and performed amazingly with the B string. It was super huge and all kinds of bottom yet clear. I really think Jim’s 215 is a monster and anyone that tries it out will buy one!!!!

It would be great for the reggae thick bottom.

Gibsongeek, the new NV series cab sound outrageous!! Shoot us a pic.