1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Berg NV610 vs. Schroeder 610L

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LowDown Hal, Sep 13, 2008.

1. I'm thinking of replacing my Ampeg SVT410HLF.
    Just because.

I don't have the opportunity to try them so..
    Any thoughts on these two cabs?

I have a Mesa M-Pulse 600 head and an LMII.
    Mostly I like Classic Rock, Motown, Blues, kind of stuff.

2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Berg all the way...

3. This screams NV610. :D

I'm in West Michigan, but you're more than welcome to come try out my Berg if you're ever in town.

4. Thanks for the offer.

Where did you end up buying the Berg?

5. Used here on Talkbass of course. :D

6. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    I know this is a very very old. I found it in a search, so I guess this is a hijack.

I played through friend's schroder 610 and 412 a few weeks ago and liked how they cut through.

I'm looking for a lighter alternative to my NV610.

Has anyone A/B'd these? Or at least someone with a good ear compare the two?

I'm looking to replace my NV610 with a lighter cab, and from what I heard from my friend's cabs, I'll be okay.

Just looking to hear what the guru's have to say.

What should I expect if I switched.

I'm looking for a heavy mid tone with LOTS of volume (never pushed the NV, so I don't know what she can do).

I do like the tweeterless design of the NV. I hate tweeters.

My heads are: Vintage 70's SVT (not my, it's my father's) If I come over and help with yard work, I can borrow it sometimes.

Streamliner 900

Ashdown ABM 500

I own all P basses, from 71'-12'. All flatwounded strings.

7. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    anyone? :crying:

8. You owe it to yourself to try out the Mesa PH610 if you're looking at the berg also. I love my PH610 and although it's not the Berg, it blows my old ampeg 810 out of the water in tone and volume.

9. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    Well I currently own the berg, and I like it a lot.

I'm looking at the Schroeder due to its lighter weight and smaller size, which would be very helpful to me. I doubt I could move a small Mesa cab, they weight a ton.

10. Didn't see how old this thread was, I'm on my phone, sorry about that.

11. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    How do the volumes compare as well?

12. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I recently purchased a new Fender neo 610 while I still had my Berg NV610, so was able to AB them directly side by side. To my ears, and a few others, the Fender narrowly saw off the Berg. It had a seamless, very natural crossover to the tweeter (which of course can be turned off), a better top end for that reason and more extended (but still tight) bass. They seemed to achieve comparable volume levels with an SVT VR and an Orange AD200. I was able to tweak the amps to make the Fender sound near as dammit to the Berg, but not vice versa. And of course the big plus with the Fender that it is so incredibly light with its construction and neodymium speakers (plus it looks the schitz), although only time will tell how it lasts in comparison with the Berg which seems near indestructible IME. I sold the Berg and have been very happy with the Fender.
    I also have a Berg NV215 which I will never sell, but that is another story. Best cab ever made IMO.......

13. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    The fender line does look really good, I was eyeing the 810 for a while, it weighs under 100 pounds. Just haven't had a chance to even see one in person. I'm surprised GC doesn't have any of these. My local GC's have their walls filled with GK's, Mesa's and Mark Bass cabs.

I'm more specifically looking at the 610L vs the NV 610.

I have a few smaller Schroeder cabs, they are awesome.

Guess not many people have compared the two.

14. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Any chance you can set up an A/B of the two cabs with your friend? The 610L appears to be a rare beast.

15. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    Not a place where I can really give it a good spin.

Thinking of holding onto the NV? I want something that's more lightweight, but I could be getting greedy. 100 pounds for the NV is not bad.

16. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Heh, I know what you mean--I have an NV610, too. Sounds fantastic, of course, but I sure wouldn't mind if it was lighter and had better dispersion characteristics. The Barefaced 69er may be the best answer, but it's going to cost a bundle when the price is converted to dollars and you have to ship it across the pond.

17. eff-clef

eff-clef Supporting Member

May 6, 2007
    Baltimore,Md.
    Barefaced cabs(the price) INCLUDES shipping. The price is the final cost delivered to your door! Read the website under ordering and availability,and scroll down to postage and packing. look down to U.S. and Canadian prices.