1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Berganino B Amp or Mesa D800+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fretless62, Nov 25, 2017.

1. fretless62

fretless62

Apr 6, 2013
    California
    Tired of lugging around my Edens so I've been looking for a light class D amp. I think I've got the features I want narrowed down, so it's decision time. I think I'm sold on the B Amp, but the Mesa D800+ also looks good. Semi-para EQ is a must, a compressor on-board is fairly important (could always go outboard if I needed, but I'm used to one in the amp from my Edens), a little tube grit / overdrive would be nice. Not deal-breakers, but nice to have: headphone out and aux in for quiet practice.

I play a variety of styles, fan of scoop and sizzle for slap, low mid bump for fingerstyle funk/ rock, and fretless.

A little concerned about the long-term reliability of the LCD display and microchips in the Berg.

So in terms of tone flexibility, power, gig usefulness, and reliability, would you recommend:

Bergantino B Amp
    - or -
    Mesa Subway D800+

I've also considered TC Electronics RH 750, GK MB-800 Fusion and the Genzler Magellan, so feel free to spout about those too.
    I'll have a chance to A/B the Mesa and Berg this weekend.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Two very fine amps. If you want an accurate, unvoiced reproduction of your instrument's sound, the B|Amp is the obvious choice. If the screen concerns you and you don't need the deep feature set, the forte is essentially the same amp and a few hundred dollars less expensive.

I own both amps and have no complaints with the D800+. It is slightly voiced to the mids, but not overwhelmingly. Good for classic rock and blues.

I think after you audition both amps it will ne a relatively easy decision.

bucephylus, 5StringPocket and LeftyD like this.
  3. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    Never tried the Berg but I use the Mesa and as Munjibunga mentioned above it great for rock and blues. I had the Genzler for a short time as I was comparing it to the Mesa and after some time I went the Mesa as I liked the sound better for what I’m doing. I will say the Genzler is a very good amp that is well made. You can get a lot of tones from it. Have fun trying all the amps.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017