1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bergantino 12's Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by T. Alan Smith, Dec 8, 2006.

1. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I just got my MarkBass Little Mark II head, and am now ready to invest in a compact cab to use for practice and coffee shop gigs.
    With all the hype around 12's and single 12 cabs in particular, I was quite curious about how they would sound, as I'm more of a 2x10 + 1x15 kinda guy, so needless to say- I was skeptical.
    Well, over the past few months, I got to play thru a Bergantino 1x12, an Epiphani(sp) 1x12, the Aguilar 1x12, Schroeder(sp) 1x12, and EA 1x12. I was IMPRESSED!
    I was most impressed with the Berg, followed by the Aggie. While the Aggie seems to hold the most bang for buck, I'm still leaning toward the Berg.
    Now for the nitty gritty.
    IP series aside...there seem to be 2 basic 1x12 models from Berg; both with or w/o a tweeter. I'm looking at the pricier cab (EX112s)simply because I like the idea of getting the matching 2x10 in the future. Although subtle, I'm still a tweeter guy, I wonder if I could live w/o the tweeter before obtaining the 2x10(HT210S)???
    I suppose a more realistic question is- What's the difference in sound between the EX112s and the EX112? Obviously, the 'S' is a higher performance cab, but I'm talking sound. If the general concensus is that the difference is "hair splitting", then I might get get the tweeter version of the less expensive cab and not have to go w/o a tweeter. Of course, THEN I would feel that I'd have to mate it with the EX112. :rolleyes:
    So...any thoughts to help me make the wisest decision here???

Much appreciated. :) :) :)

2. mobax

mobax

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    I like the HT over the EX when using a single cab. The HT's tweeter is very smooth. I also think the HT + EX is the ideal combination because I don't think two tweeters are necessary but do think a tweeter adds some edge.

3. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    A lot of guys go with the HT-112 & EX-112 combo. I opt'd for the two HT-112's. I talked to quite a few TB'ers that owned both the HT and EX models. Most stated that with the tweeter off, the HT sounded identical to the EX model.

I sometimes play out with both cabinets but I also play at a couple of different venues frequently where I like to leave a single cabinet at the gig. I wouldn't want to play either gig without the tweeter.

Even when I use both HT cabinets I leave both tweeters on about 1/2. The Berg tweeter is very smooth. Not harsh at all.

4. The HT112 and the HT112S are very different. The HT112S is a bigger shallower cabinet designed to put out some low end booty. It was orignally designed to provide booty to the S (shallow) stack. The S is not the premium model. *ALL* Bergantinos are premium.

I'm with the general opinion here. For you, the HT112 is the way to go.

For me, the HT112S dimishes the point of a 1x12 as it's a lot bigger/heavier, although shallow.

Also, I'd say that pairing the HT112S or EX112S with an
    HT210S is dubious with only 500W. These are fantastic cabinets, but they do like their power. I had a 4 ohm HT210S and it gladly used up all of my 500W. I think you'd by happier with 1000+W to do that stack justice.

There have been a few guys that run the HT112 + EX112 with the Little Mark with great results, as I recall. I think it would be plenty loud for all but the most demanding applications that don't have PA support. The HT112+EX112 doesn't have massive booty, but it's very tight and sounds great. A lot of low end bloom ends up sounding like mud, IMO.

I run the HT112+EX112 with 400W (Thunderfunk) and it's fantastic.

Cheers!

5. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Thanks for all the replys. It's helping a bunch!

6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The ht122s cab is great! Just get enough power and you will love it. Like someone mentioned, you get more bottom out of the shallow cab. I think the standard 112 has a sweeter balance between the tweeter and woofer than the shallow cabs, but the shallow cab is a great choice for a single 112 for many applications. I love it!

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Having two identical cabs allows one to be a spare, and also allows you to leave one in a different location and still have the identical cab available. I've been thinking about doing this with 2x10s. :ninja:

8. mobax

mobax

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    Good point.

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The 's' Bergantino's were meant to be a modular version of the HT322. They have different components (horn and tweeter) than the small 112 boxes, and put out MUCH more low end and volume. They are discontinued, and not many of them were sold, so you would have a difficult time finding an 's' in any event.

The EX vs. HT designation is just tweeter vs. not. The EX112s is primarily a 'sub woofer' type cab, not designed to be used as a stand-alone.

I would highly recommend trying the Epi112UL's before you make your final decision... when weight, efficiency, mid punch, etc. are taken into account, these IMO are the 'best of the best' 112's out there IMO. Of course, the Berg HT112 is a wonderful cab also.

Edit: Also, IMO the tweeter in the Berg112 cabs is essential... lot's of sound comes out of the tweeter, and the Berg woofers don't seem to be as 'full range' as other cabs (i.e., when you turn the tweeter off, you seem to lose more upper mids than with other cabs).

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY

This isn't entirely true. I know lots of guys who use just the EX112 as a stand alone. However, it was designed with the intention of it being an extension (ex) cab to the HT112. I've used the EX alone with great results.

Anyhow, the HT/EX112 combo is a great one with the LMKII. It's what I've been using and I'm very happy with it.

11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I was referring to the EX112S, not the EX112... VERY different cabs.

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ah, gotcha! Yup, with the bigger sized cab and different driver it's pretty much an extension cab or a reggae cab.....

13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1.... it is amazing how much low end the EX112s puts out for its size.... VERY nice extension cab to put under a 210 or other cab if you want some booty. But, quite 'mushy' as a stand-alone.

14. The "S" line is discontinued? Interesting...still on the Bergantino website though?

15. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Discontinued a number of months ago. Interesting cabs... but quite heavy for their size and quite power hungry. Very pristine, pure sound though, but not a lot of growl or 'character'... more like playing through a studio monitor, which is sometimes not the best thing for a live bass tone in a mix. That being said, well made, unique sounding cabs that work very well in some situations IMO.

I just saw you have an HT210s... so you know what I'm talking about!

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    HT112/EX112 ftw! :bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:

17. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    That's a funny post coming from Mr. Bowlus, but I have to agree 100%. That's my setup of choice.

18. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

The HT-210S and EX-112S set-up definately has more bottom and alittle more full range than the HT-112 and EX-112 set-up.. As Ken stated, they are a more modular version of the HT-322.. I have the IP-112 and EX-112 now and sometimes miss the lows that the EX-112S put out, but I'll survive.. I may pick up a IP-212 along the way or get a HT-322 and pick up a amp to go with that just for the bigger outdoor gigs... But I'll first try out the IP set-up on an outdoor gig..

19. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I've asked Jim a few times about making a EX-112 type sub-cab to go with the IP-112, this would be a great set-up.. I had an EX-112S and it did sound great, but it didn't fit properly underneath the IP-112... It wasn't as deep...:bassist:

20. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    My setup too. I have no complaints with it yet and it's pretty damn loud!