Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino 212 versus 310 versus 322

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GRoberts, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Bergantino 322

18 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Bergantino 212

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Bergantino 310

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    This is subsequent thread to my original question about Bergantino cabinets versus Edens versus SWR Goliath's etc.

I eliminated an option or two today and would like your opinions about the Bergantino 212 versus the 310 versus the 322. I realize there is a thread about the Bergantino 310, but I thought a new thread might yield some fresh opinions specific to my current quest.

I had a chance to play my Roscoe 5 string today through a Bergantino 2x12 cabinet and the Bergantino 3x10 cabinet. The only Bergie not in stock was the 322. Sigh. That was the one I was most interested in checking out. Oh well. I got to demo and hear the legendary Bergie horn and appreciate the hi-fi quality I've read so much about. It did not dissapoint in the least!

What surprised me was that a decision between the 310 and the 212 would be very close for me, and I think I'd choose the 212 cabinet over the 310. That surprised me. The 212 was simply incredible and handled the B string with authority and strength. The cabinet had good punch too. I thought the 310 seemed to go lower, but that might have been a perception based on low harmonics rather than the fundamental. Having heard both cabinets (212 and 310), I think that the 322 may in fact be the magic blend of both. That is yet to be heard. Has anyone demoed all three cabinets who can tell me how the 322 compares with the 212 and the 310?

As a side note, I plugged in an Eden 410XLT after listening to the Bergantino 212 and the 310. It sounded like crap in comparison to my ears. I know they are great cabinets, but in my opinion and for my playing style, the Eden is eliminated from consideration entirely.

The only other combination I heard, but at a different store (no side-by-side direct comparison was possible), was an SWR Goliath III 410 *WITH* the SWR Son of Bertha 1x15 underneath. Together, they were tight, and had excellent growl and clarity. The Goliath III 410 by itself compared to the Bergantino cabinet could not reproduce the B string without choking. When I added the SWR 1x15 cabinet to the Goliath III 410 and played both through the SWR SM900 head, they sounded great together. But I still had to dial down the bass controls to prevent the speakers from choking. The sound however was quite magical.

In consideration and fairness to the Bergantino I tried, it took (2) SWR cabinets to possess the same authority. I am Rapidly becoming a Bergantino fan! The top end high frequency range was as superlative as everything I have read. Smooth and clean with no hiss or harshness.

As a reminder, I play Blues. R&B, Funk and groove oriented jazz. I like a modern, clean sound that will cut through the mix while retaining clarity, growl, and a fullness that fills the stage and club evenly. (I want everything. I know, I know) <grin>

So, what are your collective experiences comparing the Bergantino 212 versus 310 versus 322? Is the 322 the ultimate culmination of the best of both of those cabs? (Yeah, I know, collect the whole set!) <Grin> Unfortunately, one cabinet is my goal ... and budget.

Gary

2. Roscoe
    Funny you should ask. I am the happy owner of a HT212 and HT112. Just yesterday I was up in Chicago and picked up the HT322. :D

I have not a/b the 212 and 322 side by side yet. I'm thinking the 322 is louder....not sure yet. All I know is I went to audition a Aggie659 which I did not pefer at all over my Demeter VTBP201S and QSC2402. The 322 just BLEW me away! I actually tried this cab several months ago when I walked out of the same store with the 212. The reason I chose the 212 over the 322 is because I auditioned it with my beloved Mesa 400+. Sounded good at medium to so so loud volume, but was not enough to push the cabs to the poteneial live. But, like I said at the time the 212 sounded better. Actually, they were just under powered.

I really like the 212, it's great. I think in my case the choice between them will be difficult on which gig because I will 99% of the time use just one. I will have them both in the outside festival season. I admitt it's overkill, but what a sound. Also, my train of thought is the 322 will be better in smaller close quarter gigs were I belive the two tens of the 322 will be punchier at closer ranges for stage volumne. I think. Anyway they are both marvelous.

I have not tried the 310 because I"m not just an all ten guy. I know Jerry (he will soon answer I'm sure, hey Jer) has the 212 and 310. He uses them both on the "loud" gigs, but usually uses his 212.

Hope this helps some. It's a tough desicion. If you can try a 322 you'll put your mind to rest that way. I had to have both. :eek:

BTW, I'm all 4-strings with drop D tuners. Same type of music as you with horns too. I have not used 322 live, but 212 sounds incredible live. Will update when I get a chance. Don't have to much booked up until Feb. winter break...

3. 5
    I only put one vote in, but would of put one in for the HT212 as well just so you know. Dang guys with lot of cabs are no help, right.... sorry.

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Roscoe5

Thats great you got to a/b the 310 and 212. Sorry abotu the 322, but if the 212 is the sab that spoke to you then forsure the 310 is out. The 322 isn't going to sit in the middle of the 2 cab's, it basically takes both into one. I know thats tuff to hear, but I will say the 322 will have a little deeper sound to it then the 212, but will also have a clear cut and tight focus to it. The 322 and 212 work amazing togather, I know Chris Benavente (Benavente Basses) uses a 212 and 322 with a Crest LT2000 and Kern and Loves it.

I wish you the best of luck in your search and if there is any other questions I can help answer feel free to ask.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    HT322...

in theory, its like the 3x10 meeting the 2x12. but in practice, its a whole other beast of its own, that i adore!

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Interesting question. I'd also like to hear from those who have compared all three. I haven't auditioned the 322.

I can compare the 310 and 212, though. In short, I'm glad I don't have to decide. One guitarist I play with prefers the 310: he likes a modern bass tone, like the punchy growl I got from my two SWR Junior 2x10's. The HT310 can do that but with better lows; the HT212 has even better lows (to my ears) but perhaps less. I'm thinking of using the 212 when playing blues/R&B with my passive axes, and the 310 when playing modern rock with my actives. Then again, I may just sync to the phase of the moon: waxing, tens; waning, twelves. :p

7. WinterBass

WinterBass

May 19, 2002
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Endorsing Artist: MTD
    Although I love my Bergie 3x10, I would definately get the 322 if I could do it again. I A/B the two and the 322 was so much more. It was nice and tight like the 3x10, but gave more umphhhh.

I originally tried the 2x12 and I was sold on Bergantino. After speaking with Jim B. for a while, he convinced me to get the 3x10. I have no regrets. If only he was making the 322 a year and a half ago!

8. Fuzzbass

Almost forgot to congratulate you!

Well?!?!? :D

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if they gave it any less, it'd just add to my "sweet smoke" theory. ;)

10. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Roscoe5, welcome to Talkbass.

I've only compared the 3x10 to the 2x12 and it would have been a very tough decision for me to decide which of these two cabs I'd rather have. I probably would have gone for the 3x10, myself.

At the time I was looking for a 4x10 cab and ended up with the Aguilar GS410. That decision was driven by the fact that I wanted the extra power handling and the Aggie cost was much easier on my budget. I'm not disappointed at all with the Ag 410 but I did find that the Bergantino cabs were my favorites.

I'd really like to try out the 322. From the sounds of it I think that it might just be up my alley.

BTW, that LG is beeee-u-tiful. Keith does do some incredible finish work. I've mostly been a fan of the looks of the SKB but your LG would be one that I'd love to have.;)

11. Thanks Fuzz,
    I'm very happy with the 322 although it has not left my little practice room yet. I will be bringing my 212 home probably tonight from our rehearsal place, that is if quits snowing and I'm not to tired. It's strange, I got rid of most of my big stuff because I'm gettin' older and now I'm back in the 95 lbs. cabs. At least now I live in a one level house and can handle it, only one step up or down.

I have come to the conclusion the little cabs just don't do it for most of my gigs or taste. Either the 212, 322 or both will be my sound for a long time to come. The 112 will be my very very small gig companion unless I find a real-deal-steal on an extra one. It is also very useful for an on stage bass monitor so to speak, or a side kick for one of it's larger brothers. I have heard it is very pleasing in the studio with a mike in front of it too. I must try it that way sometime. I don't get into the studiio very much, but will try it.

All in all I don't think anyone can go wrong with a Bergantino product. Mr. Jim Bergantino also provides some of the best customer service I have seen. He really cares. You don't find that much these days. There are many fine cabs out there and one to match anyone's taste or budget. I'm lucky enough to have the Bergs.

12. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    The only thought that comes to mind is that he might not have wanted his private emails posted on a public forum...

I realized after I posted the messages, that perhaps I should have asked if I could share his information. I did not check with Jim before posting those messages and I should have. I would not want anything I said about another company posted publicly that was shared in confidence. I should have kept any references to any other gear private. My apologies to Jim and to anyone who may be offended. That was careless of me. I do apologize. Hopefully, the integrity of members will keep everything in perspective and where it belongs. The spirit of this thread was really to applaud Bergantino's exceptional products and customer service. It is my feeling that is noted and will shine through.

Thanks for pointing that out Josh.

That being said, yes, the 322 appears to be my Bergantino cabinet of choice. And now, I must admit, I am tempted to go with Pre/power amp as opposed to a lesser power bass amp head.

Looking for recommendations on Pre amps to mate with something like a QSC 2402 for that hi-fi/high definition, crystal clear sound. I'll post a separate thread regarding preamp recommendations. Thanks again.

13. 5
    You won't regret the 322.
    I've got the 2402 and Demeter VTBP201S.
    Jim B. has come out with his pre amp and I believe it will be available after the NAMM show. I have heard it is very clear. Not alot of tone adjustment just your axe sound. That is how my Demeter is too. I am a plug and play guy. Both my passive and active basses sound great. You do have more controll of "Tweaking" with an active bass. The passives are truely the sound of your bass. It's all what you like. If your a tweaker and have trouble cutting through mix maybe a pre with more knobs on will suit you depending on your bass. I don't use anything, no effects, no extras. That is what I love about the Bergs and my Dem. Just me.

I just said this today to a friend in regards to the Bergantinos. "I can hear myself better, more clear and that allows me to hear what I do wrong as well as what I do right." I think that helps make me a better player.

14. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Hooray!! I think this is the first time Ive read a thread like this where everybody has the common sense to mention what kind of bass they play,and what type of music!Thanks.
    Im looking for a cabinet that has great bottom an clear highs that arent "brittle"and "piercing".
    You guys may have saved me alot of leg work,and $.
    I dont have a real modern head.I have a Trace Elliot 350SMX.With tube pre-amp,and 12 band EQ.
    A very conservitive 350 watts.
    And an early seventies SVT(Yes -the one).
    I play a Lakland Willie Weeks prototype 5,which is a passive Jazz set-up,a 68 P-bass(flats) and a 76 StingRay.
    I play old school Funk R&B Motown and blues.
    I want to replace the 8x10 SVT Ive been hauling!140lbs!
    Mine is so old it has no handle and no wheels!
    Which of these cabs will do it best?Maybe two 2x12's?
    sidenote:I would delete the post from JimB with the negative comments.

15. Fuzzbass

The Berg cabs do that extremely well. Part of what you're paying for is a very expensive crossover and tweeter.

Oh yeah: I play a variety of fivers, ranging from a traditional passive Fender RB5 to an ultra-modern Modulus Quantum 5. They all sound great through the Bergs.

16. Just found out something about the 322 I didn't know. On the back of the cab is the attenuator control knob for the tweeter/horn. Most cabs have a plus/minus as on my 212 and 112. The 322 has a cut only meaning all the way to the right clockwise is full sound of the horn. If you have it in the middle it's only half way up. I believe because it's so efficiant. Anyway you could check with Jim B. if you like. I never even looked at the back that is clearly marked. FYI
    have fun

17. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I own a Bergantino 3-10 and it is easily the best cab that I have ever owned. Although, I played thru the 2-10... 112 cab and it was excellent. I would probably choose that cab over the others. They are all great. I'm looking forward to the vintage 6-10 model.

18. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    Thought I'd jump in and share the Berg lovin'. I just scored an HT210 off eBay (Thanks dude!) and received it a few days ago.

WOW.

The thing kicks ass all over my Hartke 4.5XL, which I've been using 1 or 2 of for several years now. I always liked them just fine, that is until I upgraded to a Demeter/Stewart 2.1 set up. And Roscoe LG-3005. Anyway, the little 210 actually rivals the Hartke by itself, though I plan to add a 322 very soon. I was practically in tears as I played through it the first time, it sounded so amazing. Clear, punchy, and much more audible to the drummer, aka my husband. Made me fall in love with my Roscoe all over again (we'd been having trouble, and I was having an affair with a MIJ-made Tobias but now I think it's all settled now.) Roscoe/Bergie or nothin'! My Roscoe fretless really shined as well.

Next to the 210 the Hartke sounded all dull and barky, and dynamically uneven. The Berg is smoooooooth all around. Can't wait for the next one.

19. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    josh, good to see you finally bought the 310 from mike n.
    here's my 2 cents....
    i've tried the bergies and the epifani cabs (interesting history with 2 sides which i wont get into - lol)
    The 210's made me want to burn my eden 210xlt, the poor thing sounded like it had a blanket over it
    310's by both were great and produced more low end than my xlt w/o sounding artifcial like the xlt sometimes does
    i think the epi 212 is just about my favorite cabinet, but i wasnt as impressed with the bergie 212. to my ears it sounded a little muddy
    the 322 is awesome - i have yet to hear it against the epi 212 but i think the 322 could be my new favorite cab