Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino 3-10 or Aguilar 4-10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Haley, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    What do you think? I play an Aguilar db 359 head
    but I'm thinking about trading my Aguilar 112's . I love the 112's but I need a little more volume. I am considering the Bergantino 3-10 and the Aguilar 4-10.

2. You might be better off keeping your speakers and getting a more powerfull amp. A single Bergantino 3x10 probably wouldn't be louder than your 2 1x12s. The Aguilar 4x10 might though.

3. I play an Aguilar DB 359 or a DB750 through a GS410 and it's amazing. The tone is to die for and it gets really loud! I'm pretty darn sure it would be louder than your current setup. I'm very happy with it.

But, since my 750 came, I can't afford to own both heads and I will be selling the 359 soon. All things being equal though, I like the tone of the 359 best but the 750 is the perfect combination of power and tone for the music I play.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'm kinda with CJ on this one. i forget, but Mr.Cookie or somebody's runnin' a dual 1x12 setup with a DB750, and has NO problemo's with volume. maybe you should try something with mo' power.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've been running two 1x12s in a couple of different situations with my DB750, and I've never had to go over 2 1/2 to put fear into the guitar player.

I have been using an active US Curbow 5 string with rounds and an active US Curbow 6 with flats, and the 1x12s handle the low Bs with no difficulty.

You might be better off getting a poweramp to slave to run the second 1x12. But, as the DB359 already weighs a ton, that might not be an option for you.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I run a DB750 through a Bergie 310. The bomb!! I also use the Bergie 212, very similar sound, but a different character.

I highly recommend the Bergies...

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'd go for the Bergie 310.... beautiful tone and clarity, even response, sweet highs.

The Aggie 410 is very nice too, but a little bottom heavy (not necessarily a bad thing?) and highs aren't quite as nice as the Bergie.

Just nitpicky differences though... I'd be happy using either!

As with all things musical, YMMV.

8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    They are both incredibly nice cabs. I spent alot of time trying both out. The Berg 3x10 was my favorite but for the extra bucks that it cost over the Aguilar, it wasn't that much better. I ended up with the Ag GS410 and have been real happy.

If you step up to a more powerful amp then the GS410 is rated for more power handling.

9. A great thing about the GS410 is that it is an incredibly efficient cab. Also, one of the things about the Berg 3x10 i don't like is the ohms it's set at. It has a strange ohm level which could cause compatability problems on a tube amp like the 359 that has you tell it what ohms you are running at.

10. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I agree, the GS410 is very efficient. I run mine with a beat-up Hartke 3500, and it is loud as hell!!!

Actually, the Berg 310 is a 4 ohm cab, and it's the Epifani that has the weird ohmage...

http://www.bergantino.com/product.htm

11. Ah ok, thanks for that Oddent, i knew there was a 3x10 on the market though that had strange ohms. Never-the-less, my vote still goes to the GS410.

12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    bergantino. that's an incredibly sweet sounding cab. the clarity of berg and epifani cabs are just a notch above aguilar/eden. mind you i use both epifani and eden cabs because i like the sound of both. so, it just depends on the type of tone you like.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    like narudie said,

the epi's got that aggressive nature, but yet airy and open on top. bergie's are smoother, and mellower, but i cant get enough of the glassy sheen it puts on your tone.

14. That glassy sheen tends to disappear under any amount of guitar distortion.

Get the Aguilar and take off some heads. You won't regret it. I haven't gigged mine yet, but my bandmates love it.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    uh...:rolleyes:, yea i know... :(

but for everything else, its still a kicker.

16. I'm just sayin'--we, as bassists, tend to forget that our skinny-stringed brethren have this tendency to destroy our Gorgeous Tone.

Now, if a player is considering Bergantino or Euphonic cabs in the first place, they're probably old and wise enough that they aren't playing particularly "heavy" music. Being that I am neither old nor wise, I like a bit of guitar distortion from time to time, which necessitates sacrificing prettiness for grunt. (And who says a snarly tone can't be a beautiful thing?)

17. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    if all im going for is sheer volume and cutting power with tone aside im going with a 410xlt

18. Truth. I stopped using Eden for that reason--Aguilar doesn't cut quite as well, but isn't wince-inducing in lighter situations.

19. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i tried going small. i couldnt handle it though, so ive got an epifani 410 being delivered this week. so much for saving my back