Bergantino 3x10 vs. SWR goliath III

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fretless5verfan, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Alrighty, I've narrowed my choices down to these two cabs. I'm looking for a good and all around solid and tight sound for my progressive rock band. This will be the set-up:

Roscoe SKB3006-->SWR IOD-->QSC (depends on cab what model i get)--> ????

Theres no way i can actually try all of these pieces together and fiddle with them, if I could i wouldn't be posting! :p

All your input and feedback is appriciated:D
  2. I won't be much help, but I can tell you I love the Bergantino cabs. I have recently bought a ht212 and ht112. I drive them with a QSC-PLX 2402 which is plenty and a Demeter vtbp201s. Haven't tried any of the gear you mentioned, but the Berg cabs are a wonderful thing. Good hunting.
  3. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Get the Bergantino cab!!! I own 3 of them and have owned 5 total.
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Bergie but I like the Goliath III very much. If the SWR turns out to be significantly cheaper, I'd give it some serious thought. Very good cab. But the Bergie is a world-better, no question. If you got the bucks...
  5. Thanks boogibass, i was looking forward to ur input especially. How exactly would you say the bergs bring out the best in say....ur six string roscoe?;)
  6. oh yea, and how do they stack up to your epi cabs?

P.s. is that a wolf or a dog in your avatar?
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Well, the Bergs just have a certain sweet top-end that, when combined with the full-range of the cab and the flatness/clarity aspect of their sound, seems to just, well, ring. They just sound really tight, nothing flabby or muddy about them. The only drawback is they're quite power hungry. But given the price of quality watts these days, I don't see that as a major hurdle.

Not quite as punchy and maybe a tad less warm than the Epi T212.

Canus lupus, my good man. Wolf, dog, it's all the same!
  8. are you comparing a bergie 212 to the epi 212? and hows the high end on the epifani?
  9. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    No, I don't own a Bergie 212; just referring to the Bergie sonic character in general. The high-end on the Epi 212 (the only Epi I own), is outstanding. Just not quite as sweet as on the Bergies. It's a subtle diff, however. The Bergie horns seem to be particularly well-done.
  10. hmmm...very interesting. Looks like a epifani is in the runnings too now! man..tough choices...
  11. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I've owned both and the Bergantino is the better cab. The 3-10 is excellent. I couldn't believe the projection of this cab. You can't go wrong with it.
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I love the SWR Goliath III series. I currently own a pair of Juniors and a Senior. That said, the Bergie cabs are the sweetest I've ever heard. Both brands are excellent values in their respective price ranges... you pay more for the Bergie quality.

I recently came into a minor financial windfall... enough to get myself a Bergie or two for Xmas. Just gotta figure out which one(s). :)
  13. Fuzz,
    I can tell you the Ht212 is so sweet. I just got the little Bro HT112, but have not rung it out yet. It's real sweet though. I have tried the new HT322 but did not have my current set up to try it. Someone else mentioned in a previous post the the 212 is the one for rock, blues, and in your face stuff which I like. The 322 is very nice though. When I sell some of my excess gear I may pickup another 212 or probably a 310 to go with my 212 for outside stuff. The bergie 310 is 4ohms too not like some other 310s with 5.something weird ohms. I don't know if makes that much difference but I didn't like that particular thing. Good hunting.
  14. yea i was wondering about the epifani 3x10, its 5.3 ohms...confused the hell out of me:D
  15. have any of you guys tried the epi 1x15"? I've done some reasearch and found that the epifani 1x15 is 8 ohms as well as the berg 2x10! they also share the same 400watt RMS. So what do you guys think of using these two cabs together? Portable...warm puncy low end(?)...sweet singing high end(?) and i can only take one or the other if i'm doing a smaller gig??? right? sounds too good to be true...
  16. Fuzzbass

Boogiebass runs the Bergie 2x10 over the Bergie 1x15 (also 8 ohms), and recommended that rig to me back when I asked about Bergie cabs. I'm sure the Epi 1x15 is nice too, but I'm thinking a pair of Bergies will make a tidier stack. :)
  17. yea you're right, the dimensions are 1/4 inch off in width haha. But i remembered the general sound of the epis to be warmer and slightly punchier, which is waht i want im my lows, but id rather have a smooth singing type sound in the highs which is what the bergs do best. Do you think it would be sound?
  18. Fuzzbass

Thanks very much, Big String... that's good to hear, because I happen to be an in-your-face rock/blues kind of player. And it's especially good to hear because late last week a Bergie 212 came up for sale here at TB, so I jumped on it. I just received confirmation that it's on the way... can't wait!

I haven't tried 12" speakers since I ran a pair of Marshall 4x12" back in my big-hair days. :eek: (Hey, it was all about the backline...)
  19. Fuzzbass

Makes sense to me. I once ran an EV-loaded MesaBoogie 2x10 over top of an Ampeg 2x10: the sound of the two together was way better than the sound of each individually. The only weirdness was that the Mesa was a MUCH more efficient cab than the Ampeg, but I ran each off a separate channel of my power amp so I could balance the volumes.