Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bergantino 610

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by allbassgood, Feb 11, 2004.

1. allbassgood

allbassgood

Jan 28, 2004
    hello.

i'm new here and have a quick question. anyone in southern california with a bergantino 610? i really need to try or hear one of these in the next 3 weeks. have an important show coming up and would like to have one purchased but still have not found one in the area. anyone out there playing on one or knows someone playing on one that i can come check out? perhaps at a gig or something?

thanks.

2. jeflepard

jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    Great cab. I owned one for a few months. I just traded it for a Bergantino HT 322. The 6-10 has a great vintage tone and sounds great in a big room. I highly recommend Bergantino cabs.

3. I did the opposite. I had a HT322 and sold it. I then purchase NV610 and very happy with it. I also have the HT/EX 112's and love those together or seperately.

4. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I'm just curious as to the reasons you guys switched. I A/B'd both cabs in an NYC music store, and tone-wise favored the 610 a bit, however, I realize that the 322 needs more juice to make it open up (and I was playing through a Fafner which might not be loud enough for the 322). For me, both cabs are too big (I don't have a car, and rely on other people for rides), so I use the HT210, but I was wondering what made either or both of you change rigs. Was it more to do with tone, mobility, both or neither?

Also, since you've both played through both cabs, would you say they'd be able to fill the room equally well, or does either cab have an advantage as far as how big a venue/how loud a band you could play with?

Thanks,
    Aram

5. Aram
    I am a big Bergantino fan. I started out with HT212 which I may sell this weekend. It's a great cab, I just prefer my HT/EX112 over it. More punchie and way more portable and versitile. By chance I tried the HT322 in Chicago were I got my other cabs and was very impressed and rolled out with that one too.. :rolleyes: As the story goes on, I had Mesa 400+ when I bought the HT212 and it sounded fabulous, (medium to lower vols) but later on an important outside gig I sadly found out the 400+ was not enough power to make the bigger HT cabs "open up" an in fact it farted and gave me a lot of greif as a result. After talking several times with Mr. B himself I moved up to a QSC 2402 and a Demeter 201s. That is the rig I tried the HT322 and was blown away. As time went on I found myself not hearing my stage volumn with the 322 no fault of power or cab. I feel you must stand away from that cab. It is a great cab though, but I opted to sell it for a "the punchier" sound that I prefer over the "openess" sound. My little 112's are not quite enough sometimes for bigger outside gigs and I have a six piece band with horns, keys and a busy mix. Mr. B said to try the NV610 and see if it's make-up did it for me. Yep, the sealed tweeterless tens pumping a great vintage tone is now my big rig of choice. I'm not a slapper so take that in to consideration. The NV still pumps out plenty of sweet smooth highs for me. I can alway put my HT112 on the top or the side if I need a tweeter. The QSC can run two 4 ohm loads or one 4 and one 8ohm load in the parallel mode. I usually Bridge all the time with one set up or the other. I also found that my mighty tiny Walter Woods Ultra fairs very well with both set ups. I'm happy! :D

6. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Thanks Big String -- I appreciate the detailed comparison. It seems to make sense that the 610 would have more 'up front' sound since the drivers are higher up and a little closer to ear level. Glad your Bergie rigs are doing it for ya...I'm going to pick up a 115 to go under my 210 this weekend, and I'm psyched! :bassist:

7. Aram,
    Thanks, and it's the sealed cab part that makes a big diff too.
    Adding the 15 will be like opening a family sized can of Whoopa$$...

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Heh! :) Yeah, a Bergie 210/115 stack is amazing. I also love the NV610, but 210/115 is my default rig because of the portability factor.

OBTW: someone here @TB (metron?) said that Jim B. suggested putting the 1x15 on top of the 2x10. I've done this and noticed a difference: the highs and mids sounded like the fifteen, but lows seemed to be more focused... I don't think I'm imagining that, anyway. I thought I'd mention this in case you wanted to try it... if so, let us know what you think!

Sorry to go off-topic, allbassgood... I'd let you check out my NV610 but I'm all the way across the country from you.

9. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hey Ken,

Definitely. I was thinking of keeping the 15 on top unless I play a venue that needs more boominess for some reason. Just spoke to Jim the other day, and he mentioned the same thing, plus he said he feels the 210 responds better when on the ground.

Incidentally, I've been using the 210 alone at band practice (stacked on its side) and it has kept up *very* well (two guitars, drums vocals in an R&B/Funk/Rock band). I just need more volume for gigs.

Overall, the 610 would be my first choice if it was practical. I totally dug the tone, and if Jim ever makes a 410 version I'm there.

Cheers,
    Aram

10. The NV610 is suprisingly easy to move around. All the handles etc make it a snap to hoist up on one knee and swing into the back of my van. Also, the thinner depth makes it great to stand by on small stages and the height is always welcome for hearing in tight quarters. The only negative thing I can say about this cab and it really isn't bad is the fact there is only the two rear casters to move it like a hand cart preventing you from loading your other gear on top like a cab with four casters. Nothing is this world is perfect (except my Wife) but the NV610 is pretty close. One could always use a flat cart if you had a long haul to the stage as I have had before.

11. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Oh man, it is SO tempting to sell the 210 and go for the 610...I don't have a good small/medium rig, though, and the 210 fills that void nicely. I've actually played some decent-sized gigs with just the 210. I totally hear you on the depth issue, though...the 18" depth of the HT's is a pain in the a** to move/fit places. I'm sure that's why they sound so good though.

Also, about the sealed NV's vs the ported HT's, I agree, but I've been pretty pleased with my ability to hear myself with the 210 stacked on its side, even when standing right in front of it. I'm usually pretty cranked, though, and I think with the NV I'd need less volume overall from my amp to hear myself.

12. I didn't mean to add more choices because I think the 15 will be great, but for tight situations which is normally what I have, the NV is great. Mind you, it's wide though, but has always fit for me. Note: for 90% of my gigs I use the HT/EX112 stack on a Auralex Gramma Pad with my WWU. Talk about small and lots-O-room! And punchie to the max! My favorite rig...

13. mmm...I LOVE the Berg NV610 ...I only wish Jim would offer smaller/modular cabs in the NV line. Is there a particular sonic/physics related reason why he doesn't?

14. jeflepard

jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    For pure tone I think that I like the Nv 6-10 a little better because I like a vintage sound but for the rooms that I am playing I think the HT 322 may be better for me. They are both excellent cabs. Don't forget the 2-15.

15. Fuzzbass

I love all my Bergs. I must say that I prefer the NV610 because when used with a SABDDI I get very close to the vintage SVT tone (and I mostly play vintage music!). I also love the excellent punch and focus of that cab, especially in boomy rooms. But I also love the hi-fi tone of my HT series cabs.

I saw the NV215 up in Rudy's in NYC last November. But even though I was very curious I deliberately declined the opportunity to play through it because I feared that I would have to buy it once I heard it (I have this weakness for Berg cabs........)

16. Fuzzbass

Aram, thanks for the insight into Jim's 115 over 210 suggestion. Also, I agree about the HT210: I'm totally amazed at how well this little cab keeps up with guitars and a loud drummer at rehearsal. Like you I couldn't use the 210 alone at gigs, but add the fifteen and you'll be in business.