Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino advice wanted

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Bad news: my #2 band broke up. Good news: my share of the band fund is over a grand. Also, my semiannual bonus from work is larger than I expected. So naturally I'm trying to think of ways to rid myself of this windfall (ways that benefit ME; don't get any clever ideas! ;))

The component of my signal chain that most needs upgrading is my speakers. Don't get me wrong, I've been extremely pleased with my pair of SWR GJIII, but Bergies are in a class above (which of course is reflected in their price).

Anyway, the ones I'm considering are: 2x10, 2x12, 3x10, and 10+10+12 (aka 322 model). The only one I've given a serious audition to is the 3x10... and I was totally blown away. Last time in NYC the fella at Rudy's said that the new 322 is "like the 310 on steroids", but sadly I didn't have time to A/B for myself, and the 322 wasn't available back when I auditioned the 310. Is there much tonal difference between the ones I mentioned? If so, please explain.

FYI: I play in a couple of loud bands, and my rig gets no assist from the PA. Power isn't a problem for me though (Stewart 2.1 :cool:). I've always preferred the punch of 10's over 15/18, but I'm thinking 12's will also be plenty punchy for me. I usually use neck pickup only... love my midrange growl (and lows, and harmonic presence). But I also like bridge pup snap at times.

I initially thought of getting a 3-speaker cab on bottom and a 2-speaker cab on top... the 2x10 would be nice and compact to have to bring solo to small gigs/jams, and anything larger would probably be overkill over a 3-speaker cab. Then (duh) I noticed that the 2x10 is 8 ohms, and all others I mentioned are 4. I had my doubts about mixing impedances; f'r instance I couldn't bridge the Stew into 2.6 ohms... but would I ever *need* to??

Maybe I should just get a pair of 2x10s; that'll certainly outdo my current setup. Then again, just one of the 3-speaker cabs might be all I need.

Well, I've rambled on too long.... comments/advice welcome.

2. I tried the 322 and it's very cool, but I couldn't give it a fair test because I was using an amp that wouldn't really ring it out. Anyway I bought the HT-212 and I love it. I have the QSCPLX2402 and I'm not even running bridged with a Demeter VTBP201S and I'm telling you the punch and bottom is all that.
    I'm not that big of fan of tens anymore because they don't through to the back as much, and I love 15's but it depends on what kind. My Mesa 15 EV is superb. But I would recommend trying the 212 before you buy, you won't be sorry. Best of both worlds between 10 and 15 inch.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Fuzzy,

I've been very happy with the Epifani 212 (I also use a Stewart 2.1 these days) but my preferred rig is all Bergie: 210 and 115. It's the best of both worlds for me, very punchy with great low end extension. Most of all, tho, it's tight and clear with no wooliness or unnatural low-mid emphasis. I also own the HT112 but generally use it by itself with an EA iamp600 for small rooms and quiet gigs.

In any case, I doubt you can go wrong with a Bergie, no matter what configuration...and you're gonna love 'em with that Stewart, I predict.

4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i'll barge in with another bergie endorsement:

LOVE EM!!!!!!

i have an HT212.

just recently got an HT112.

i use a QSC PLX 2402 and an Aguilar DB659 pre.

GORGEOUS!!!

and with my Roland V-Bass/Lightwave Zon, great tones abound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

too friggin happy!

f

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have the Bergie 3/10, 2/12, & HT1/12 and they all are awesome cabs! I would try them all.....especialy the 2/12....it is massive. The other thing that makes Bergies special in my opinon is the crossover & horns Jim uses.........they just have a very natural & musical high end....they are worth the little extra dough:D

6. Fuzzbass

Thanks, all. I agree with the endorsements. I've done a lot of speaker shootouts, and have been reasonably pleased by all the major brands, but the Bergies definitely sounded better to my ears than even Eden and Aguilar (have not tried Epifani yet, but I'm not keen on the funky ohmage of their 310). Anyway: the difference might well be the Bergie tweeter... I'd not heard such a natural, musical treble before.

I'm sure it's true that I'll be happy regardless of which config I get. Boogiebass' 1x15/2x10 rig sounds especially portable. Speaking of which: hey boogiebass, how far do you push that system? Would you use those speakers to keep up with loud guitars and drums, esp. in a modern rock situation?

7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I got the 2 112 set up and a walter woods I use a sans amp too.My rig has no prblem with loud guitars and drums.I dought the 211 and 15 would have any trouble.

One thing though I play 4 string so when I get a five (soon!) mabye Ill feel differently

AJ

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    The HT112 is at the top of my wish list, I hope to be able to buy two of those sometime early next year...

I've only heard good things about the HT112, even from 5 string players, but please report your impression once you have the fiver.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Oh yeah, man. I often gig with a power trio and that rig will blow away the guitarist, no prob. We sometimes get so loud the drums sorta "disappear." That rig can go frighteningly loud.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    try a pair of bergie 1x12's.

amazingly rich tone, and punchie as hell, and all half the weight of your SWR rig. jim's the man.

btw, if weight's an issue, check out Epifani's new line of "UltraLight" cabs. same price point as the bergie's your eyeing, but uses the new neodynium speakers that weight less than half the normal drivers. so a 59 lbs. Epi 2x10 becomes a svelt 47 lbs. while, the 98 lbs. Epi 4x10 becomes 70 lbs. very cool.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Fuzzbass, you're local, you owe it to yourself to check out Joey Nahas' cabs (another local guy). He's doing some pretty amazing stuff and the price is right.

I replaced my Eden D210XLTs with EA cabs. I replaced the EA's with a Bag End small 15 and a Nahas 1-12... and am able to use a smaller amp in the process AND play much louder than before.

You'd have to hear it to believe it. I have one and I still don't believe it. Joey has also made some other killer cabs like a 15/10 cab and an 18/2-10 cab (600w 18, vented, seperate section and two 300w 10's with a horn) that was ridiculously loud, articulate and tight... complete overkill in the best sense of the word.

How loud do you need?;)

12. WinterBass

WinterBass

May 19, 2002
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Endorsing Artist: MTD
    I love my Bergie 3x10. I did get to A/B it with the new 322. Both cabinets are fantastic, however the 322 sounded a little fuller. One day I will make the switch to the 322.

13. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I know this is a question for Bergantino but I wondr what the difference between a 322 and a 112 and a 210 would be? Iwonder if thier tuned differently?

AJ

14. Fuzzbass

Thanks for all the comments! Excellent info.

I'm willing to lift for tone, but less weight is nice, so the Epi-Lite (sic) cabs intrigue me... no info on the Epifani website yet. Then again, I just checked the Bergantino homepage and apparently he has new products coming out too. Maybe I should wait and see before plunking down any moolah for speakers.

Brad... can ya point me towards Mr. Nahas? A Google search turned up nuttin' useful.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

the 322 is prolly a helluva lot more focused and perhaps punchie, given that its emmanating from a single source.

16. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I played the Berg. 322 cab with an Ashdown 500 watt head and a Modulus bass. It was the best bass sound I have ever heard.

I really wanted to get it but it's out of my price range. My wife would leave me without a doubt.

Get the 322 if you can!!!

17. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I did a review after I bought my 2-12. Let me know if the link doesnt work.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32953&highlight=thunderstik.

I have used this thing live a few times now and I love this cab just as much now as I did then. I will say that it needs more power than the average cab but it sure will bump and sing when you light the wick on it. I let my younger brother use it on a few gigs and he is presently using it in the studio and refuses to give it back untill the band is done. I agree that the price is hard to swallow but all I can say is every time I plug in I get a grin and think "damn this is cool". If you want a little more of a modern sound try the 3-10 for its quickness but both tone wise sound very similar but the 2-12 just seem to hit lower and had more of an "old school" (slightly) tone than the 3-10. Either one is a winner though. Ther is no bad choice.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Here's Joey's email address: Joey Nahas , his shop is in Baltimore AFAIK.

My Nahas thread with pics

19. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

Heres the Responce when I ask Jim

Hi AJ,

Thank you for the email and I'm glad to see your a satisified customer! To answer your question, the 322 is a different "beast" all together. The 210 aspect of it is very similar to our HT210 and has our newly redesigned 10" woofers in it. However, it has the 12" woofer from our 212 cabinet which goes deeper than the HT112 woofer. So I guess the answer to your question is that they are not the same. The 322 also has our larger, constant directivety horn for the tweeter. They each have there own personality (322 vs. 2-112's). The 322 has a bigger, more extended sound to it, where 2-112's are punchier and very focused and coherent sounding. It really comes down to application and personal taste. Either way, they're all nice cabinets and bring something "special" to the table.

If I can assist you further, please don't hesistate to drop me a line. Thank you for your business and continued interest in our products!

Regards,

Jim Bergantino

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    [​IMG]