1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bergantino AE-310 Interest

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Strong interest

37 vote(s)
    32.2%
  2. Moderate interest

32 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. I'd consider it redundant in the Bergie lineup

17 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. Stewed carrots for me, please...

29 vote(s)
    25.2%
  1. A thread for expressing interest in the non-existent AE-310 coming into existence.

Something along the lines of:

- 750W?

- True 4 ohms?

- Around 50 lbs?

- About $1k?

2. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    +1000! Great Idea. ...But make it smaller and lighter than the AE410 of course. The appeal would be sub 50lb.

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If it's got the same tonal characteristics as the 410AE, I might be interested.

4. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Wouldn't that be within $100 of the AE-410 though? Personally, I'd like to see this cab at least $200 cheaper. But, it is only one driver less, and I doubt the box would/could be any smaller. I'd like one :D

5. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Good point. $999 and they would sell like hotcakes! Why couldn't it be as small as an EpiUL310 or close?

6. Scott McArron

Scott McArron Supporting Member

or as small as the IP310? :eyebrow: but much lighter of course!

7. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    The true 4-ohms thing would be important to me. But how would he do that without Dr. Bass-style trickery?

8. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I was just thinking that the box would still need to be about as wide, given the size of the drivers. I know that they're staggered, but you still have 20" of just cone to deal with. Could it be a smaller box, I guess it could. I just wasn't thinking far enough ahead I guess :meh:

9. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Custom wound coils. You can wind a coil to whatever you want. You can vary wire gauge and number of wraps to get the same magnetic energy...I work for a magnet company, we do this all the time.

10. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I'll doubt you get true 4 ohms as it would be expensive to source yet another different 10" driver. Truthfully its not that important to your overall volume level if its running at 5.3ohm like the Epi stuff.

11. Scott McArron

Scott McArron Supporting Member

After looking at the dimensions, I've found that the size difference between the IP310 and AE410 is almost negligable! The 410 is 1 1/2" higher and 1/2" deeper, same width. I'm not so sure an AE310 cab would be much smaller.

Unfortunately, I can't spare even a 1/2" difference in the back of my Eclipse. The 310 fits absolutely perfect and snug as a rug in the backend! Looks like I'll be keeping the 310...

12. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    True, but it isn't cool if your running a tube amp that doesn't ahve a 5.3 ohm setting. :meh:

13. Berg's HT310 was a true 4 ohms.

14. figuredbass

figuredbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2007
    NYC vicinity
    This would mean custom 12 ohm drivers just for this one cabinet since the HT310 is virtually the only cabinet the 12 ohm drivers were probably used in. It may have been discontinued because of economic reasons, producing unusual and expensive drivers with limited demand.

However, though I'm a loyal Epifani UL310 user and don't intend to change, I believe it makes VERY good sense for Bergantino to come out with their own "AE-310" for all the reasons Epifani has come out with their UL310. The continued success of the UL310 prooves this. They obviously have the 16 ohm drivers to do it. Maybe they're still workin' on it...

But another thing - why can't Bergantino keep their website up to date? :confused: I just went there and there is no mention of the AE series yet! Sure, we TB'rs know about them, but not everyone visiting their site is a TB'r. How many AE sales have they lost or delayed because of this?

15. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    The reason is there is no "they" its just Jim Bergantino. This has been mentioned several times before but for my $ I'm glad he spends his time on R&D and other things rather than his website. In fact, he called me last week in regard to my IP310 being reprogramed. His attention to detail, level of customer service, and product quality far outweigh his advertising ability (and that is fine with me.). IMHO.

16. figuredbass

figuredbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2007
    NYC vicinity
    Jim is a great designer/builder with first rate customer service to boot. I'm not suggesting he take time away from all of this to devote to website design, only that he might have someone keep it up to date for him, especially since that investment would pay off with even greater sales.

17. ellisv

ellisv

Oct 26, 2005
    Malvern, PA
    I have listened to the ae410 and if a ae310 is in the works my Epifani ul310 Series II gets retired with a quickness. Send Jim a note. We need to make some noise and let him know the demand is here!!!

18. ditto that

19. +1, but also +1 on hiring out web site help. It's a no brainer. His website is a turn-off really -- I think it costs him business really, which is a shame.

20. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    What is the deal with CARROTS?