1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bergantino AE112 - gig capacity?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by buckminster, Sep 11, 2008.

1. buckminster

buckminster Banned

Apr 29, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    I've got a chance to buy one at a very good price, so hopefully if anyone reads this, I'm not interested in the merits of other cabs...Call me closed minded.

Anyway, what kind of coverage can I expect from this cab? I know I"m not going to be playing stadiums with this thing, but could it hold its own in 4-7 person combos in small clubs? I play alot of different styles, and am playing mostly fretless right now - nothing ear splitting - rock, pop, funk, latin, blues, bluegrass...etc. I like a clear tone and I don't use any effects. Thanks.

2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    You mean, with no PA? How loud is the drummer? What kind of amp do you have?

3. If you're set on that brand/model then I say- get it- then if it needs help get a second one to get the max headroom from your head.
    I just got a single DB112 with the plan to get a second down the track.... and is plenty loud enough for every situation I've thrown at it so far- so not sure if I'll need to get the second.

4. buckminster

buckminster Banned

Apr 29, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Very minimal to no P.A. The drummer is can hit hard, but he's got great chops and great equipment, so his sound is clear. Right now I'm playing direct into a Crown MT2400 into a Bagn End Q10BX-D. Soon to add a preamp.

The Bag End is great, but just too big and bulky for rehearsals and small gigs.

5. adarvas

adarvas

Jul 27, 2006
    Toronto
    I have 2 of them and I've sold everything else. I absolutely love these cabs and I'm confident that with the two stacked I'll be loud enuogh.

6. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    You plug your bass into the power amp with no pre-amp? How's that?
    You can expect great things from your Berg, but I think you should add a second one to have enough headroom for NO PA gigs, or you will be pushing it too much, IMO.

7. Fajah

Fajah

Apr 30, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    I've gigged my AE112 powered by my LMII. We play mostly blues with some classic rock thrown in. We have two guitars, drums, and singer. I'm playing my 4 string (passive) jazz bass. I can do a 100-120 person capacity bar with my LMII set at around 12:00 max. We also have a jazz ensemble that gets together weekly where I'm playing a 6 string fretless. The ensemble consists of two guitars, two saxes, and drums. Around 9:30-10:00 on the LMII when we rehearse at our drummer's house. Our ensemble hasn't gigged yet, although it's planned for sometime late fall.

I also think that the AE112 really starts to sing when you pump some volume into it.

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I don't think you can get an objective answer to this kind of subjective question.

A 12" driver can only move so much air before it hits its physical/thermal limits.

If you buy this or a similar 1x12, I'd suggest going into it with the realization of the definite possibility of needing to add another cab of some sort further down the line.

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    From my experience, one thing to consider is that a single 112 will sound very 'small' even though it may be loud enough. So if you want a full 'wall of sound' behind you, a 115 or 210 is a minimum IMHO, IME.

10. Fajah

Fajah

Apr 30, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    There's no question that a 112 in general will have it's limits, however, the OP is asking specifically about the AE112, and to what the limits may be. I think I've outlined an objective and basic frame of reference to go by.

I agree that there might come a time when a second cab will would be necessary, but the AE112 could go a long way before that happens. At least in my experience.

11. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The key thing with defining the gig limits of any cab but particularly small cabs is how much bottom you want from it. The more bottom you need, the smaller/quieter a gig will cause it to max out. As personal tastes vary so widely it's very hard to predict what one 1x12", however nice, can manage on its own. Add a second 1x12" and the max LF SPL increases significantly so tonal tastes become less critical.

Alex

12. Fajah

Fajah

Apr 30, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    I don't find the AE112 to sound "small" at all. In fact, I've mentioned on other threads that I prefer my AE112 over my HS210 (or AE210 which I've played) when only a single cab
    is necessary.

13. buckminster

buckminster Banned

Apr 29, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks for the input guys. I do have another cabinet (Bag End Q10BX-D), so I think I might need a second 12 eventually to fill in that gap between the 112 and the 410. But it sounds like the AE112 will do for all of my rehearsal and small gigging needs right now.

14. I just recently acquired my second AE112 and I can say without reservation that if you like the sound of one, you're going to be blown away by 2. Amazing articulation and volume in a small stack that sounds amazing with my Thunderfunk 750 and Traynor YBA200-2.

15. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Do you prefer the two AE112's over the 1212L ?

16. The 1212L is a very cool cab and I loved it, but the articulation of the Bergies is more than I can stand. Plus the rear ports of the Bergies sure seem to really boost the mids and lows.

17. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    I just picked up an AE410 and have my eye on a possible AE112 for small stuff.
    Trouble is my LMII isn't at it's best with 8ohm cabs... bet it would still be pretty good though.