Bergantino Amp purchase anxiety, help me select the right cab!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brian Hubbard, Apr 4, 2019.

112 or 210 or 212

Poll closed Jun 13, 2019.
  1. HDN 212 completed rig

71.4%
  2. Reference 210 to start

10.7%
  3. Reference 112 to start

17.9%
  1. Brian Hubbard

Brian Hubbard

Feb 3, 2018
    Suwanee
    I am about to make a new amp purchase. I have been saving for a year to buy the B|amp. I had previously ruled out the Tone Hammer (too dark); Genzler Magellan (very cool but just liked the B|Amp better). My problem is my cab selection. I fell in love with the bergantino 112HDN sound. But since that time the Reference series has emerged and the HGs. I am reading all the Bergantino forums and I am thinking what I ‘ll do is purchase the Reference 210 followed by Reference 112 to complete my dream rig.....them I suddenly get the urge to follow my ears and purchase the HDN212. The Atlanta Bass Gallery closed so there is no dealer nearby to really get my ears on my cab selection.

Are there thoughts and recommendations that members can share?

Historically, my favorite rig was a musicman RH118 onefifty from the 70s when I used to gig 6 nights a week.

Gear: Sadowsky RV4 and a Fender American pro fretless

Help!

zon6c-f likes this.
  2. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Any 210/112 combination of any of the Bergantino cabs are killer.. But I also love the 212 cabs if you prefer a 1 cabinet setup.. The HG-410 and 310 are great as well. I use a HG-410 for most of my gigs.. What kind of gigs and places do you play??

Bigbri, TheBear and Brian Hubbard like this.
  3. Brian Hubbard

Brian Hubbard

Feb 3, 2018
    Suwanee

4. Brian Hubbard

Brian Hubbard

Feb 3, 2018
    Suwanee
    I have been slowly re-entering gig life after 18 years as a traveling federal health scientist. To date small small trio/combo gigs at neighborhood events. My goal is to continue to build a network to play small combo gigs when time allows. Thus the thought of starting with the 210

5. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Central Ohio
    Different flavors of super great.

Another option might be to hybridize, and go with a HDN112 / Ref210 setup. I would think that would give you lots of options. I know, make life more complicated....

Brian Hubbard likes this.
  6. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    Why not 2 Ref112's?

7. jibass

jibass Guest

Aug 7, 2015
    I have not tried the Ref cabinets although others have said they are great. I have an HDN112 and HG310 and i can size for the gig although i've only needed both for an outdoor show with no FOH. They are great sounding cabs and although the Ref cabs may sound "better" because of the ceramic speakers, i cannot handle the almost double the weight of the Ref series. I use a B|Amp. Fyi i have a little non-Bergantino 110 and i even use the B|Amp with it, for practice and house concert gigs. And the B|Amp HDN112 cab profile sounds nicer than the "None" with that little cab.

Congrats on your B|Amp, you won't regret your purchase.

8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    I love my HDN’s. Do not hesitate. 2x10 and i add the 1x12 for bigger rooms

9. Brian Hubbard

Brian Hubbard

Feb 3, 2018
    Suwanee
    I have thought about this too. I’ve scoured talkbass and only found one example of someone trying this, but there was little description of the tonal result and no rxn to the post.

10. Brian Hubbard

Brian Hubbard

Feb 3, 2018
    Suwanee
    I have not heard the HGs. The idea is compelling. Thanks for your comment!

11. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    I voted to start with one Ref 112. Enough for small combo gigs and you can always add another 112. I have the Forte and a pair of HD 112s (similar to the Ref series) and they are fine with one cab and loud with two. I don't hear any highs or upper mids lacking, where I would need to go to a 10" cab.
    Now to further confuse things, another great cab choice for a small combo gig would be the NV115. I had one for a while and it was smooth and wonderful sounding. Not quite as punchy as the front ported cabs but very nice.

BrianHub55, LM Bass and Brian Hubbard like this.
  12. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    I love the 2x12 option. One 12 for smaller gigs. Larger gigs? Just add another 12.

Brian Hubbard and rmayer like this.
  13. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    If I didn't already have a CN212, I'd be shopping for the HDN212. Great cabs.

14. jeff7bass

jeff7bass Inactive

Apr 9, 2009
    THIS.

15. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    The B Amp and HDN212 is my exact rig and I couldn’t be happier with it. Amazingly flexible and can handle any small to medium size room without breaking a sweat, though anything large I’ll be using the B Amp’s DI anyway. I can see the wisdom in two Reference 112 cabs if you feel you’ll need the small footprint and presumed portability advantage of a 112 over a 212. BUT if you can do it I highly recommend the HDN212, it’s the perfect amp setup for my Sadowsky (and Noble).

BrianHub55 and Brian Hubbard like this.
  16. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I bought a Berg B Amp and a HDN212. Seriously, the 1 cab solution. This combination just kills it! I am in the process of selling all my heavy stuff. Bergantino is the future for me.

17. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    I’m using a Forte / REF 210 and REF112
    I know many are going with the lighter weight cabs but these cabs are not too difficult to move and they sound great individually.. but when paired the amp sounds amazing.
    I can’t comment on the Berg neo cabs since I haven’t had a chance to hear them in person.
    The B string sounds great through these speakers..
    Good luck

18. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    If you own a B|amp then IMO the only choice of cab is a Berg. After that I'd suggest you decide what you can lift. In a gigging situation the differences in sound will be there but not as noticeable as if you are just playing at home.

IMO how you EQ your amp and your technique will make a bigger difference to your sound than the differences between a Ref and HDN.

My experience with Bergs (and most other cabs) is that one will sound good but two will sound way better. If I was buying your rig I'd get two HDN112's.

rodl2005 and Brian Hubbard like this.
  19. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I vote for 2 Ref 112's. Start with one and add the other when you can afford it.

20. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    To start i would recommend 112, 212 cab is too big and weighty, after you are sure for the sound, buy another 112. Easier to carry and who can tell you always need those 212.