Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino amp suggestions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Arnold, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Hey,
    I've been ABing bergantino and Aguilar 1x12 cabs. While the Aggie sounds great with all heads I've tried, the Bergie has been really good, but I've yet to play it with a head that makes me think 2 bergies can make a huge sound as has been said on this board. So, I'm looking for suggestions amp wise. I think I'd like to carry the Bergies more than the aggie, but if I don't hear the sound soon, I may give up. Thanks.

2. I'd like to add that I plan on buy 2 cabs and am looking to bring one or two as needed. Thanks.

3. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Walter Woods works real nice with the Bergs. What amps have you tried?

[​IMG][/IMG]

4. I tried 2 Ampegs, Svt 3 and 4 I think. Eden, and a demeter preamp thru a power amp of sorts. I'd love to get one of Walters Amps, I just don't have the wait time needed.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    A used Euphonic Audio iamp600 would be an excellent match, if you can find one. They're discontinued. I use one of mine with a single HT112 and it works very well. Would be especially nice with two Bergies, I imagine.

[​IMG]

6. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I've got an Eden WT-550 and a Berg HT-112. The EX-112 is enroute to my house as we speak. So I'll let you know! :D

7. HT112/EX112 Demeter 201s, PLX2402 Bridged.
    Think... Kick Butt!
    My band loves this littel rig. I have PA support 99% time too.

8. So then, how many watts is that into each cab?

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    like boogie and big string,

i like a transparent, accurate sound with the Bergies. the Demeter is a great match, as is anything EA. i had an iAMP350 w/ an HT112, and its was HEAVEN in a box.

[​IMG]

10. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I use a ebs td650 with my two berg 112s. I play a 5 string and cant say enough about this set up. Killer! btw, I would think a swr sm900 would work good with the two berg 112s as well.

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I get a real nice tone driving my two 1/12 Bergies with a QSC2402......500 watts into each cab.

12. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    The demeters run great through the bergs(my dream setup) with a QSC 9000 watt amp(THey do make one..)

13. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Arnold,

I'm confused by your original question. Have you compared 2 Aguilars to 2 Bergantinos with the same amps and been unhappy with the Bergs, or have you only played through one of each cabinet? What is it that makes you wonder if "2 bergies can make a huge sound as has been said on this board"? What do you notice about the Aguilar that is missing from the Berg?

When you A/B the cabinets, are you doing so without adjusting the tone controls (just to see how they compare at the same settings)? While this is one approach, you should also experiment with the tone and volume controls to see which cabinet sounds the best to you. Each cabinet has a different sound, as well as different efficiency ratings, and they will react differently to the same settings.

If you read the classified ads on a regular basis (here and at BassGear.com and Harmony Central), you'll find that there are lots of Aguilar cabinets that come up for sale, but there are very few people selling their Bergantinos.

14. I've only played one Aguilar at a time, and 2 Bergantinos. I've played the Aguilar and Bergantino side by side but I don't know any place in NYC that has 2 aguilars on the floor. Anyway, I think I'm trying to answer the previous question....so here goes...When I've played the Bergantinos thinking that the'd be a great thing around NYC due to the ease of moving them, it seems that I'll need to add like a 1000 watt power amp to get them to move some air, and all of a sudden they don't seem so movable. I'm really shoping for a rig and cabinets as I dumped my last rig in Europe at the end of my last tour over there. I'm not opposed to preamp and power amp (in fact I've been waiting for a reason to buy the Alembic pre) I just want to know what I'm getting into. In past I've played SWR and Eden heads thru SWR cabs. Liked the SWR more for warmth but the eden could change voltages with the flip of a fuse. Before that (late 80s' )GK thru Hartkes or Bag Ends. So I'm trying to find great sound that can be moved around easily in cabs and subways and then packed up to go to big club date gigs In CT or NJ. I've been using the EBS drome which I can't say enough good things about. However, I need a head for places with cabs, and there's a limit to the Dromes good sounding volume. I hope this helps any people trying to help me with Answers. Oh yeah, I plan on using 1 cab with my polytone head for upright too. Thanks all.

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    These days with the lightweight poweramps[QSCPLX]
    a preamp and poweramp are not much heavier than stand alone bass amps, but with the the power to drive almost anything. Headroom is a beautiful thing;)

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Most any of the suggestions you've heard here should work well.

No one has mentioned the EA iAmp-800. It should be another good alternative.

Seperate preamp + power amp gives more options now and further on down the time line.

I would suggest listening to the iAmp-800 and to as many preamps as you can (preferably with the rest of your equipment) and choose your own cup of tea.

Good luck.

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Here's a pic of the way I run my Bergie HT112 most of the time. The tilt-back stand really focuses the tone and makes it much easier to hear detail. Still puts out tremendous low-end. Hard to believe, really.

[​IMG]

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have to say that I don't find a need to own any other cabs other than my two Bergantino 112's. One for small gigs and two for bigger gigs. I have a poweramp but I'm waiting for a new preamp to be built so I've been using an Eden WT-300 traveler. The eq is flat. I have to say that I disagree with anyone saying that the 112's are power hungry. Do they sound stronger and quicker with more power? Of coarse they do. But they do sound really incredible with that little Eden amp as well. I don't even care for Eden only because of their eq but with the Bergs it just works. For portability and tone I can't recommend better bass cabs. If you like the EBS thing than get an HD350 amp. I really don't think that you'll need any more power than the 350 watts that it would give you, of coarse unless you play with two marshall toting guitar players who play really loud. If you want more headroom than look into the new Eden WT-550. Don't be fooled by thinking you need a ton of power. I like a lot of power for the sound but I certainly don't need it.

Actually, what you really should do is get that Glockenklang Soul amp that I saw for sale here on the site. You'll never turn back.

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Oh yeah, I saw on Bassgear.com that Tom Desmond, a teacher at Berklee, is selling a new Berg 112 for $500. He goes back and forth between Boston and New York so you could probably hook up with him.

20. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    The only issue that I bring up about using the HD350 to drive the little Berg cab is that they are only available in an 8 ohm version. The HD350 is rated at 350 into 4 ohms. I find that my Fafner sounds a slight bit weak into a single HT112 but when I hook the pair up the Fafner comes alive driving the 4 ohm load. I could get by cranking the Fafner into just one of the Bergs.

I really love my little Bergies. They get downright scary with the PLX1602/(Demeter 201 or Alembic F-1X) driving a pair of them. You ought to hear this setup with an F Bass BN5. It is thunderous.

I haven't had a chance to hook up my Eden WT-800 (it's out on loan) but I would think that would work out real well.

I did have a chance to compare a single Aguilar 112 to the Bergantino HT-112 using an EBS HD350 and it did sound very nice. I thought the HT-112 just smoked the Aguilar, IMHO.