Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino and Aguilar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Whitebread, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Whitebread

Whitebread

Jun 26, 2000
    Kansas
    Well, I had my mind pretty much made up that I wanted to get a Bergantino NV610 until today I went to my local store and saw they had some new Aguilar cabs on sale, a GS412 for $800 and a pair of GS410s for $500 each.

As I'm not able to try the Bergantino (none anywhere near me), I'm interested in how you think the NV610 compares to the Aggies and if it is worth the extra money. The NV610 will run about $1100 after shipping, more than both 410s after tax (I don't know the ohms of the cabs).

Money is certainly an issue, but I am willing to pay the difference if it will be worth it.

2. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    In my opinion the Bergantino is worth the extra $$$. I own a couple Bergs and I'm pretty sure I'm done buying cabs unless I need another Bergantino. The NV610 is relatively easy to move around and If I could choose just one cab, it would be the one.

Andrew

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    The Berg is tweeterless and sealed.

The Aggie stuff is ported with tweeters.

Apples vs. Oranges!

Why had you chose the NV610 over all else? Will a ported cab with a tweeter meet your needs?

Both companies make killer stuff. The NV215 and GS412 are both cabinets near the top of my "Favorite Cabinet" list (I'm not a fan of 10" drivers personally)

4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Yeah, either the NV or the 412 are going to be GREAT cabs. The 4X10s have their own magic, but I like the bigger, single cabs myself.

5. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    You don't even have to try-out a Bergie. Search the threads, and you'll find nothing but praise for them. Like you, there's no Bergie dealer out here in the islands, and I had a lot further distance than you to find one for a test-drive. I simply took a chance by relying on what I read right here in TB, as well as other sources I found surfing the web. I bought my NV215 ('cuz I LOVE 15" bass speakers) "ear unheard", and I cannot be more satisfied... :D

BTW... I use an Ashdown ABM500 Evo-II, and... when the gig permits, I'll use my Marshall VBA400. The NV215 doesn't even crack a sweat. :bassist:

6. While on my own cab quest I've owned a NV610. This is a fantastic cab as are all Bergantino products. The NV series is the easiest of all big cabs of any brand to move and manuvre. As was said, the sealed design is something you may or may not be looking for but they are 'punch machines' for sure. I've proven to myself over and over that I'm not a 10" driver fan either, I prefer the bigger paper. I may in fact try a NV215 down the road also lovin' the sound of a 15" dirver. Never tried the aguilar cabs you mentioned. Just my 2cents to offer.

7. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    For what it's worth, I use an Aguilar GS212 with an Ashdown ABM 55 Evo II, and I couldn't be happier. I played the Bergs and the Ags before buying, and went with the Ag mainly because of its lower cost.

Since I don't like 410s, and haven't any need for a 412, maybe this post isn't as helpful as it might have been. But I didn't want the Bergers to take over completely...LOL!

-John

8. I agree with the apples and oranges comment.... a ported cab with a tweeter (regardless of brand) is going to give you a totally different sound and vibe than a sealed cab with no tweeter. Neither is better or worse, but I can't imagine the sound of those two styles of cabs being anywhere close to each other (again, not a brand thing but a speaker design issue). Sounds like maybe you should step back a moment and determine what you want out of the cab. :)

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Ditto the 'apples and oranges' comment. It would be more fair to compare the Aggie cabs with the Bergantino HT series, which are also ported and tweetered.

Not to be a GAS enabler, but I own both types: the Berg NV610, and also some of the HT series cabs. I absolutely love 'em all. If I want a punchier more vintage tone, I go with the NV610. If I want a more modern tone I use the HTs... I also use HT cabs when I need a smaller rig.

10. I used to own a GS412 and now I have an NV610. As the others have stated they are both great cabinets and either one will slay. But you would need to determine what kind of sound you are looking for because they are both very different.

The NV610 is sealed and cuts through with a tightness and midrange that is unmatched. It is well voiced for blues and rock, and is easier to move around than any 410 I can think of. And it is lightweight compared to the GS412.

The GS412 is a monster cab in sound and size, but it is easier to move around than an SVT, a LOT easier! It also will go lower than the 610 and has more sparkle on the top because of it's tweeter, but it does not have the mids that the NV610 has. It has a deeper sound and doesn't cut through as much as it pummels you with sheer volume and low-end punch. It can be very punchy but is voiced differently than the 610. It also is well suited for blues, rock, metal etc.

Neither cab is really a slapper's cab IMO. both sound best with lots of watts (500+) and either one would be a good choice. I sold my 412 because it was just too much to transport once I left the band that had a trailer. Both are great cabs that handle any gig, and both can handle low-volume gigs too.

I would buy another 412 if I found it at that price and just leave it in the basement hooked up to my SVT.

Bottom line. The NV610 is more portable, and both will give you a great sound. The GS412 can give you a cleaner sound, but it cannot duplicate the sound of the NV610, which is what I prefer.

Either cab is a good choice, but which is better suited for your style? That is for you to decide.

11. Whitebread

Whitebread

Jun 26, 2000
    Kansas
    I just purchased a used nv610 on ebay for significantly less than I could get the GS412, and I couldn't be more excited. The advice in this thread and countless others was a great help, I'll be sure to tell you all my impressions when I get it.

12. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    How did this work out white bread?

A too am stuck between the aguilar 412 and berg nv cabs. I can try a aggie out if i go for a long drive (away for the weekend) but I would have to ship a berg in unheard. I originally thought that the 425 would suit my needs, its sealed and has seems to have a good combination of mid punch and tight lows (based on TB reviews).

But yeh like I said, how did this work out for you, are yuo happy with yuor decision, what are your impressions on the cab? would you like to sell it cheap :)

Joe