1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Bergantino B|Amp and Mesa Subway D800 plus: how do they compare?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Apr 26, 2018.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Looking at getting a new head for a pair of GS112s (One has an Eminence 2512 II neo in it). How do these amps compare? What would you do?

2. revroy

revroy Supporting Member

why have you focused on these two? Understanding that will help folk give you better help

3. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Well, I was looking for something with a bit more power that could broaden capabilities from my Little Mark II. I like finger style playing with warmth, clarity and good control from pillowy to growly. The Berg seems like a good way to go with internal effects and tuner. I've read the D800 comparison with Thunderfunk here and think it might succeed my TFB420 in a good way. I love the way the TFB sounds and how easy it is to get what I want with the timbre knob. I am considering the TFB 800, but the cost is pretty high so I am feeling out other options.

4. revroy

revroy Supporting Member

they're both great amps although the DSP of the B|Amp makes it very different than the Mesa. The Forte is a closer comparison to the Mesa. In that category you might also consider the Genzler Magellan 800, Darkstar 900, Trickfish, and the DNA... maybe even the Quilter. They have slightly different feature sets and personalities. The current generation of top end class D amps are all great heads.

5. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I have the Forte and D800 that I rotate gigging with. More similar than different. Berg is maybe a hair more "open" sounding, by contrast you could say the Mesa is a bit more "warm". I typically don't like overly thick heads (e.g. TH500). Mesa is hard to beat for the price imho.

Al Kraft, petch and Ryan L. like this.
  6. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    Did you mean DarkGlass 900?

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I own both and they're somewhat different, tone-wise. The D800+ is somewhat voiced to the mids which, to my ear, thickens up the bottom a little. It's not overwhelming, though, and the EQ section is pretty versatile.

The B|Amp starts out with a "clean slate" as far as voicing. It accurately reproduces whatever you put into it - it's not inherently "vintagey" or "tubey" although those characteristics are available through the onboard effects and compression. If it sounds "sterile" to you, it's because you're used to amps voiced to someone's taste.

kesslari and rodl2005 like this.
  8. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I'd get a Tonehammer 500.
    Not sure of your tone goals but I find the Tonehammer to be a good match with the GS112s as they tame the midrange. Sounds great with a Jazz Bass!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Al Kraft likes this.
  9. revroy

revroy Supporting Member

sorry, yes

10. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Thanks! I looked at cabs too and it seems like a wash between subway and HDN if I replaced the GS112s? Maybe the HDN210 is a bit more neutral than the Subway 210. I couldn’t tell from searching.

Likely I will keep my GS112s and see how it goes. Sounds like the Mesa head would pair a little better with the stock cab, but the other is flatter with the delta lite in it anyway. I bet one could dial in compensation for the mid scoop with either head anyhow.

Is the EQ in the B|amp more precise ie set the frequency and the adjustment numerically? Same with the HPF? Is there an advantage to the precision or does it even work that way?

Which amp is more reliable?

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021