Bergantino Cabinet Textured Coating

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LedBelli Bass, Apr 28, 2012.

1. LedBelli Bass

LedBelli Bass Fine, Handmade Custom Bass Guitars

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    Does anybody have a clue what Bergantino is currently using for the black texture paint?

I had a very bad Ebay experience, and now I have a cabinet that needs some TLC.

I was thinking that maybe even textured bed liner could be what is being used.

I did call Bergantino, and they were non-specific about it . . . which is fine, it's their trade recipe.

Anybody got any best guesses?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
  3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    What about Linex, which is popular on the fEARfuls and nEARfuls?

4. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    It's neither DIY nor cheap.

5. LedBelli Bass

LedBelli Bass Fine, Handmade Custom Bass Guitars

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    I am equipped to spray commercial finishes. Could it be Linex or something like it?

6. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    DuraTex would be your best bet.

7. rmars

rmars

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    I have Line X on a cab and the Berg AE's look different. It doesn't look like rolled on Duratex so maybe it's a spray grade-http://store.acrytech.com/Speaker-Cabinet-Coating-DuraTex-Spray-Grade-Black.html

8. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    If you spay DuraTex with a hopper gun you can adjust the pressure and nozzle size to get any texture you want, from fine sand to full out spatter.

9. rmars

rmars

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    Did not know that Bill. I've only seen Line X on truck beds and it looks just like it does on the Avatar cab I have. The rolled on Duratex I have seen looked somewhat similar in sheen to the the Bergs which is why I guessed it was possibly the same material but sprayed. I was was under the (incorrect) assumption that the texture was a characteristic of different brands/formulas.

10. hmmm.... Jim has 'touch up' kits for his cab coating. Call him and ask about it.

11. dspellman

dspellman

Feb 16, 2012
    True enough. Hellaciously tough, though. I've got two 2x12s (not bass cabs) that I had hosed down with LineX and they've laughed off things that would have torn tolex right off a cabinet. They've just skidded off and gone on their merry way.

Ron Anchak's fEARfuls are hosed down with the stuff. It adds a bit of weight, but it will likely be housing for the coyotes and cockroaches that are supposed to be the only other survivors of a nuclear war or a zombie apocalypse.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021