Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino Choice: 115 or 210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aram, May 5, 2003.

1. HT210

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. HT115

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  1. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Okay TBers:

I have an HT210 that is being powered by an RMX 2450 in bridge mono mode. There's not enough air mvmt happening right now, so I need to add another cab. My question is whether you think I should get a 115 to put below it or another 210.

Here's where I'm stuck:The HT210 was newly redesigned, and now takes 500w as opposed to the 115 which can handle 400w (I have the newer 210). It also appears to have a better freq response (it goes down to 36hz, whereas the 115 goes down to 40hz)...and I play a 6er so this matters somewhat to me. Since I'm bridging my amp, I will be pumping about 1000w into each of these, so I really need the cab that can withstand a lot of power.

When I spoke to Jim a while ago about the new 210, he said that it can withstand more pwr because the drivers can handle more excursion. He also said it will 'handle the low B better'...even though I had no qualms with the old version.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another 210, but I would rather have a 15 because I play R&B/blusey rock/funk, and I like the low end. But I'm worried about using a 1000+ watt amp with a speaker rated at 400w.

Thank you for reading all this -- PLEASE let me know what you would do and why.

-Aram

2. Here's another option. How about the Bergi EX112 (without a tweater). Less money and it may just do the trick.

3. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    GreyBeard:

Thanks for the response. That's def a possibility, but I'm worried I might blow the 112 to smithereens...I do play some pretty loud gigs.

-AC

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I have both cabs and they sound great together when powered by my Stewart World 2.1 mono-bridged. Extremely balanced, top to bottom. I'd opt for the 15. As to power, Bergies are power-hungry beasts, IME. I wouldn't worry about it for a second.

5. I have quite a few Bergs but no 2x10 nor have I ever tried one. I have a 212, 322, and both 112s.
    Grey had a good idea, but as Boogie said I probably go for the 15, I know that is one of Mr. B favorite.

Here is another option. Get a HT-322. I hear the 2x10 on top of one of those is FANTASTIC. Ask Lizzy D about that she has that set up. Not only that, when you don't need two cabs you could use either with ease. My 322 has Mucho Bootay on the bottom side and the 10's are shaweet. Also the 322 can take a tremedous pounding. Rated at 800w.

6. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Thanks guys!

Big String, my only issue with the 322 is that my power amp can't run any lower than a 4ohm load in bridge mode, and I'm pretty dead-set on bridging it because I was clipping stereo mode. But it's such a sweet cab, I wish I could swing it.

Boogiebass -- how big are the venues you play with your setup? Are you pushing your amp pretty hard? Any sign of anything giving out? How's the 115 as a standalone?

7. Yes, I see your point. Don't forget though if you add more speakers your going to be louder. That would be 4 tens an a 12 WOW! I run both 4ohm loads with my rig (not bridged) and it's real loud. I don't really have any clipping problems though. Head room is for clipping issues and really doesn't make you louder if I understand it correctly.

8. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    It would be pretty amazing with the 322 -- but my power amp is rated at only 450w at 8ohm, and 650w at 4ohm (per channel), neither of which is enough to drive the 210 and 322 respectively...I'm pretty sure only because I ruined the drivers once already in my 210 by clipping it :(

But I ordered new drivers from Jim, and the cab sounds great now. And when it's bridged it sounds insane! As a temporary fix, I have been using an Avatar 112 w. the HT210 and bridging it at 4ohm, and it sounds great. But I feel like I'm really pushing the limits of a 12", with up to 1000 watts going into it...

9. I didn't see your amp spec before. In that case your right. You do need some watts. Good luck.

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Small and medium-sized clubs and bars, mostly. No way I'm pushing the amp hard. The 15 is killer by itself. My fave 15, all things considered.

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Aram, you've got to get the 115 Berg. I can't believe how huge that thing sounds. Jim redesigned that one recently as well and it is just amazing. It really sounds HUGE and then some. I am really impressed by it. I tried it under the newer 210 and it just killed. Beautiful cab.

12. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Thanks guys! That's exactly the type of info i'm looking for. Emjazz-- is that your current rig too? That plus the Nordstrand must be bliss...

-AC

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Actually, I just got back from being in Europe for three months and I'm rigless:bawl:

I'm pretty much borrowing stuff right now untill I get a rig. I'm trying to sell my Crest ST1500 poweramp and my Trace V-Type preamp to get an IAMP800 or a woods with a nice tube pre in front of the head. I would love to play through a Berg 212 and a 115 but I can't carry this stuff around (back injury). That's why I've used the Berg 112's in the past. Incredible tone! I played the 210/115 combo in a music store that a couple of friends of mine own.

By the way, my Nordstrand is still the best bass that I've ever played! I love this thing. It does sound horrifying through that Berg setup as well.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I have a bunch of Bergs in various sizes. When I need a loud and easily portable rig I bring my HT210 and HT115. They blend quite nicely and get way loud... I couldn't be happier. But I suspect I'd be just as happy with a pair of HT210.

I've never used the HT115 all by itself, but I do bring just my HT210 (which I bought from emjazz... hi Andrew) to rehearsals. In fact I used it (the older 400W model) at a loud garage rehearsal last night and it just sounded massive. In fact the guitarist asked if I was using an octave doubler. I don't think he'd heard a five-string bass played through a hi-fi bass rig before.

15. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    That sounds killer -- I think I'll opt for the 115 then (unless someone wants to talk me into another 210...anyone....anyone?)

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hi Ken! Good to see that you're using the Berg a lot. What a great cab. Pairing it with a 115 Berg was a great idea. What a big sound.

17. Fuzzbass

It's a win-win situation, Aram!

Andrew: when I've needed an even bigger sound I've put the HT210 on top of an HT212 or HT310 (we just play blues/motown, but the dang guitarist does the Stevie Ray thing... :eek: )

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ken, I'm one jealous bass player up here. That sounds killin. How do you like the 212? Is it clear as a stand alone cab or is it more for just a big round sound?

19. Fuzzbass

The HT212 is an excellent cab... big round sound is right! It sounds fantastic by itself in the right environment (particularly carpeted low-ceiling rooms, as boogiebass said awhile back regarding his Epi 212). However in boomy rooms I much prefer the controlled punch and cut-through of the HT310.

I'd recommend the HT322 over the HT212 for most applications... but if you prefer big big BIG lows, then the 212 (if you could find one) might be better.

20. Got one. For sale. $700.00 Perfect condition
    Shipping could be a problem though.... I don't have the box it came in. 85# to ship.