Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino choice???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by godspeed68, Apr 27, 2004.

1. godspeed68

godspeed68 i like music. a lot.

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Fellow low freq. slingers -
    I've decided to pick up a bergantino cab.....but now...which one should I choose? I've played through the local shop's NV610, and was blown away...did not get a chance to play through to ht322 although. My playing situation is as follows:

Gear: Elrick classic 5, mesa m-pulse 600 (soon to be eden wt-800 or wp-100 with qsc poweramp), boss gt6b processor.

I play in a three-piece prog/metal band, and need to cut through an egotistical guitarists mesa rectifier. i play a lot of slap, tapping, all that ****, whatever....but most importantly, i need to have excellent tone at high volumes....is this gear the right choice???? any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    tOm(ass)

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The Bergs are excellent cabs. Either one will be awesome, just gets down to your personal preference.

3. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I haven't had the pleasure of playing through an HT322 either, but I HIGHLY recommend the nv610 for the styles you play. Slap sounds fantastic through this cab, as does fingerstyle (of course) due to tight bottom end and defined mids & highs.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The 322 will sound more "full range", the 610 is more like an SVT bottom on steroids. For metal, I would go with the 610.

5. For what you are playing, I'd stick with the 610.

6. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I own both cabs, the H322 is definetely more HI-FI and full range, but the nv610 has the growly SVT-vintage character that is very suitable when playing rock. If you like the sound of the nv610, go with that, though the HT322 might handle the 5-string better.

7. I'm totally in love with my NV-610. I play in a very loud band and it cuts through the guitars very well. It works quite well with my 5 string, but I'm not into huge amounts of fundamental frequency, so take that for what it's worth. :D
    I don't miss a tweeter at all either.... Great cabs, I want to try some of his other models.

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    You will get more clarity from the HT type speakers but they need a lot of power. This is a tough choice because the NV610 would be better for the heavy parts of playing in a metal band but IMO the HT speakers would be better for slapping and tapping. Does the shop near you have the HT322? You have to try both. The best thing to do would be to see if they have a return policy so you can try one with your band.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The NV610 has tight and focused response, with tons of punch and growl to cut through.

The Bergantino HT322 is also an excellent cab. It has wider frequency response (top and bottom) than the NV610.

As some have said I think the NV610 is a better choice for you because of the punch and warmth. But metron has a good point about your slapping and tapping: will you regret not having a tweeter on top?

FYI I also own some Bergantino HT series cabinets but lately I've been using the NV610 for gigs almost exclusively. My bands play rock, modern rock, classic rock, blues, motown, funk, and c&w/bluegrass. I slap a little but don't require the modern super-clean hi-fi slap tone, so the NV610 sounds great for everything I do.

10. I just came back from a 10 show tour with my NV610 and vintage SVT and no matter the club we played at that great tone came shining through without ever being boomy or otherwise unsatisfactory. I play in a VERY loud band and this cabinet is freakin' great for that. Best choice I ever made (besides hunting down a vintage SVT)

11. Most excellent! I was waiting for you to post what you thought of the NV-610! I'm totally digging mine too!
    How was the atlantic tour?

12. Cold and wet but still fun. Halifax was probably the biggest show at the Attic but Charlottetown was a lot of fun too. Saint John was a bit of a bust, Moncton and Fredericton were pretty cool.
    I meant to post a review of the cab as soon as I got back but I got too much stuff happening at once round here. I'm totally digging the nv610, does everything I hoped it would. The one thing I found a little strange is that I have to have the master up on the SVT slightly higher to get the same volume as when I was using my 2x12 + 4x10 rig. But there's definitely no lack of volume, punch and clarity. I don't know what else to say, I love this cabinet. Easy to move around too, lightweight (for its size), great wheels, handles etc. this becomes important on tour.

13. All the previous post don't give me much to add, but I love my Nv610 although I use my HT/EX cabs most of the time for space etc. For bigger outside gigs the NV is on duty. Loud and Punchy. Most Excellent. I had a 322 and sold it. It was too open (full range) for me. The little Bergs give me the Hi Fi sound plus the punch I must have.

14. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    well, i tryed both of them.....and i think i enjoy the sound of the HT322.....the nv610 just seemed too focused for me....highs weren't as brilliant (lack of tweeter?) and it almost seemed kind of muddy compared to the ht322. A little buzzing from the 322 on the other hand, possibly from the tweeter?.....used my m-pulse 600 through it...sounded decent....but it got EXCELLENT after using the eden navigator preamp, with a behringer europower ep2500 (1200 watts per side) poweramp....man did that thing sing.....considering selling my mesa for the pre/power combination...ahhh...decisions decisions decisions....if only there was enough money to buy that preamp and poweramp, and get both the nv600 AND the ht322.......my god, i believe i would literally **** my pants......anyway....comments on the rig choice????

tOm

15. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    btw, what did you guys pay new for the ht322???

tOm

16. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Sorry Im late, alot of good stuff has been posted allready. I have both the nv 610 and two 322s as well as the eden navagator pre. My tastes are a little different than above though. I like the 322 better for rock and metal. I play a five string and when I hit the low notes on newer metal type songs the 322 has the sound and power that makes people look at the stage. I can still get a nice, rough sound for my mids and upper notes as well. Ive started to use an aguilar db680 pre and so far I like it better than the eden (wich I didnt think would happen) but I want to try it in more rooms before I make the call. The nv is a great cab as well and to me it cuts better than the 322. If there is a problem with the 322, its that it can be hard to hear on stage. I think its cos it fits so well into the mix. To me its important for someone on the dance floor to see a band and hear CD quality sound vs. see a band and hear three seperate instruments, so for my tastes I like the 322 better. I couldnt choose between the nv and 322 so I had to get both. I play metal, rock, classic and country and berg cabs work great for me. Be real carefull about one thing, once you get a berg cab, you will want more! ;) :bassist:

17. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    great Review Inazone! Well said. I too play through a Bergie HT322. I A-B'd the NV610 versus the HT322 a few weeks ago in my local music store. First I plugged into the NV610 and was immediately seduced by it's smooth, buttery, thick full range tone. I thought to myself; "I knew this would happen. I'm going to want to trade/sell my 322 and get the 610.

Then, I plugged into the HT322. Same bass, same amp. End of story. The tone of the HT322 is simply the sound I have always wanted, and heard in my head.

Additionally, the Bergantino HT322 sounded deeper on the low end and was more authoritative with the low B String. I don't really have a problem with 'cutting' through the mix with my HT322. The combination of my F Bass BN5 with my Bergie HT 322 are a match made in heaven.

My musician friends in the audience often compiment me on how great my bass sounds out in the room. That's the bottom line. I hear well enough on stage. It simply doesn't sound the 'same' on stage as it does when the sound blossoms out in the room and on the dance floor. Works for me.

That said, I would LOVE to own an NV610 for some Classic Rock gigs I do. Just for the old School, more vintage tones. I wonder what they would sound like together? Hmmm. Bwa hahaha

18. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Get a Polytone, and turn it up to 11!! ;)
    Seriously, have you thought about a stack of 1X12s? IME, a stack of 1X12s are always fuller sounding than a single cab loaded with them.
    I have a set of 1X12 Bergs that I am completely head-over-heels with (sans tweeter!)!

19. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the input....I ended up just going ahead and putting the eden pre amp, the behringer ep2500, and the berg. 322 on the good ole' plastic card.....the tone is amazing....although, being that this is the first pre/power seperate rig i've ever owned, im running into problems as far as getting the cab to push at the volume i need it to. The ht322 handles 800 at 4 ohms, and I believe the ep2500 at 4 ohms puts out 750 watts per channel before clipping, but having it set to about 1-2 o'clock, clipping occurs too easily...an amount of popping and distortion that in my opinion could be used as poker chips in the world tournaments....Also, being a player that digs in a decent amount when playing, when I jam on the E and B strings of my Elrick, the cab sounds a little "farty"...you can actually hear the air being pushed out of the cab, and it doesn't sound nice :)....I know that dropping $2300 on a rig should (hopefully) produce decent results.....but as far as the volume issue is concerned, it's sort of lacking. I'm currently consulting the manuals for both the pre and power amps...but the eden manual is sort of vague as far as assisting me in figuring out the problem....behringer is somewhat more extensive.....ahhhh....hehe, can anyone help me???

the exceptionally anal-bastard of bass rigs,
    tOm

20. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I know just what your talking about. Thats what happened to me at first. Keep in mind that this is just my own opinion and experience. First, your gear is good, you just need to learn how to use it. Not that you dont know already but you will be suprised at the end of your quest about what you learn. The more you know, the more you will get out of it. I had alot of help here at TB by reading alot of posts about eq and why things work and how. Not just about brands and such. If your band is loud, with 750 watts you will get alot of clipping. The farting you hear isnt the cab. You'll need about 1000-1200 to get the 322 to open up. The 322 will handle alot more but for "bang for the buck" this works good. Set the navagator eq to boost the low mid and leave the bass nob flat. With the second mid eq, use it to cut a freq to get rid of some mud. Turn down the cabs horn to half and boost the eq to taste. To my ear, this sounds bad when played alone but it sits good in the mix and it should help you cut better while still keeping your lows in a live setting. Keep in mind that the 322 is a small cab speaker wise. Two 322 cabs are smaller in speaker area than a 810. If you need volume you need more speaker area.