Bergantino CN Vs. HDN Series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Oct 22, 2016.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    This has probably been covered in the massive Club Bergantino thread, but I just don't have the time to read through that entire dissertation! Just wondering if the "older" CN series is considered "obsolete" now that the "newer" HDN series has been on the market for almost a year now. Any major tonal differences between the two? I have owned a NV610 cabinet for years which resides on my bandleader's trailer so I'm looking for something similar but lighter than I can carry around myself for pickup gigs. Thanks!

2. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    This has been discussed in some detail in that thread. Look especially for some discussion a couple months ago between Fuzzbass and me, when I went to one of his gigs and brought my HDN cabs for a comparison with his CNs.

Short version of my impression to answer your question. CN is not obsolete. I find that the HDNs are slightly warmer in the low mids.

Alphaman and PolkaHero like this.
  3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I own two CN cabs, have test driven both CN and HD and honestly, the difference was so small that it was worth the weight to get the CNs. And I flippin' LOVE THEM. I run a CN112 + CN210 and lordy does it sound great - and can get LOUD.

armybass and PolkaHero like this.
  4. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    @SanDiegoHarry - how is the CN210 as a stand alone? Can it keep up with a reasonably loudish drummer?

5. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    I own a single CN210, it does quite well as a standalone, but its still a 210. If I'm not pushing crazy low end, I can keep up with a quartet. If theres a loud guitar player, a left hand heavy keyboard, or if the room is super loud, it doesnt quite cut it. I put it up by my ears in those settings and I do OK as a monitor, but it doesnt carry the room much. I've been thinking about adding another CN210 or CN112 to add to the rig. I LOVE the tone of the CN210, the tone is outstanding.

armybass, Snaxster and basss like this.
  6. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've just purchased a CN212 that I'm going to use as my "backup/rehearsal" cabinet to my NV610, both powered by an Aguilar TH350 amp. I'm going to install pop-out casters on the bottom to make it easier to move around though it really doesn't weigh much compared to my 610 (46 lbs. vs. 98 lbs.)! I'm sure it will sound great but what can I expect in comparison to the NV610?

armybass likes this.
  7. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Just IMO, but the TH350 is the bottleneck to the question of maximum volume capability. A Th500 would get you substantially more oomph from both cabs. Again, just my opinion.

FlatwoundFunk likes this.
  8. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Seriously?! These cabinets are very efficient (103-4 dB) and don't require a lot of power. I've used my Ampeg B-15N head (35 watts!) to drive the 610 before and had plenty of volume for most situations. I do plan on getting a Mesa Subway amp in the future but not for want of more wattage.

9. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Seriously.

Strictly in reference to people asking/wanting to get maximum volume or performance out of a given cab. IMHO, a cabs threshold is largely informed by how much power reserve the amp has. At the same SPL, you'll have more composure and headroom to your sound with a higher power head. IMO this equates to more "usable volume".

So not to say that you cant make your 610 super loud with a TH350, just that you will have more control and headroom and thus more usable output using a TH500 with a given cab than you will with a TH350.

FlatwoundFunk, bassbooty and armybass like this.
  10. Alphaman

Alphaman Gold Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2008
    STL
    :D I wouldn't think of putting a TH350 on a 610 cab... You must not really drive your cabs at all. I always considered the TH350 a practice head. If it works for you on that cab, I guess you could try it with the new cab. I'd seriously consider at least a 500 watt head for those. If you're going all out on Berg cabs, you should be putting some good power on them too since the head is part of the equation.

FlatwoundFunk, bassbooty and armybass like this.
  11. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Central Ohio
    Great cabs. Bet you would be amazed by what the B|Amp would do with them.

FlatwoundFunk and TheBear like this.
  12. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

The Mesa D800 amp would be glorious with those cabs!

13. Alphaman

Alphaman Gold Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2008
    STL
    or the D800Plus :D

14. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    The D-800 is quite impressive with the CN212 - almost like they were made for each other. FWIW, the Walkabout/CN212 is a pairing that makes me think that is what my Walkabout Scout 12 has always wanted to be when it grows up.

I think the Berg sealed cabs may like a bit of power to come alive, but the CN and HD cabs (and I would assume HDN) don't need a ton of power to get loud very quickly.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  15. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Man, how loud are you guys running your rigs? I get yelled at if I get the Master Volume on my TH350 set past the noon position with my NV610. I mic the cab and let the PA do most of the work. My bandleader has a TH500 that I've used with the 610 and I didn't notice that much difference. . .

16. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks for sharing that, it helps me narrow down the choices between the CN and HDN cabs that I'm looking at to go with my B Amp (I guess if they're that similar it'll come down to weight vs cost!).

Zbysek likes this.
  17. Well dude......you are THE Polkahero! I know those polka dancers don't like it too loud. I love my new Minimega 1000 with a Berg AE212, poppin good!

18. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Well you wouldn't notice a difference at the volume you guys are playing. It's when you need to push it that you would notice it.

FlatwoundFunk likes this.
  19. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I own and gig both a CN212 and an NV610. CN is a ported cab and the NV is sealed (just saying this so we're on the same page).
    CN is more even sounding and full range cab compared to the NV. The NV has that classic sealed 10" low mid kick that does seem to respond to power in order to fully open up. The NV's top end is rolled off compared to the CN too. That being said, with equal power, dialed up, the NV is going to pretty much kick the CN around - BUT, it's got that sealed cab voice which for me, is much more of a rock-ish sort of thing. NV also responds beautifully to tube amps (I use a 200w Fender Studio Bass amp for the most part). IMO/IME, I would say the CN is a more versatile cab tonewise - covers more gigs for me anyway. OTOH, when I get a loud rock oriented gig, and I don't have to haul the cab up a ton of stairs :)laugh:), I will usually bring the NV and just smile all night.

both great cabs for sure, just depends on what you need tonewise.

good luck

20. bass nitro

bass nitro

Feb 21, 2011
    BG,SZ

GRoberts, tree_trunker, petch and 3 others like this.