Bergantino EX-112, x2?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jobu3, Nov 6, 2004.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Anyone do it? I know that Epifani's and EA's horns are fantastic because I've owned them and I know that Berg's are in the same boat too, but I really tend to turn them off anyway.

So, does anyone gig with a pair of EX's? Do you miss the horn? I could probably just try a single EX and see how it is and then add an HT if I needed to or go to another EX from there.

Any thoughts or comments? :confused:
  2. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I think Jacochops gigs with a Woods and 2-EX112's. I've got the HT/EX setup and the HT tweeter is by far the sweetest most musical tweeter I've ever heard. If you slap at all or go for upper-mid clarity in your fingerstyle, get at least one HT. It's definitely worth it. That said, the EX is very full range and still has excellent clarity up and down.

There's a reason why the HT is so much more expensive than the pricey tweeter, but worth it.

3. goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Definitly, worth it, the tweeter is not harsh at all. It sounds excellent. I like to a/b both the cabs, and alone they both sound excellent. When i turn the tweeter of on the HT and have them stacked it still sounds excellent, but i prefer having it on. Id suggest getting one HT because with two ex's it might leave something to be desired. Also, you can always turn the tweeter off.
  4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I also agree, the Bergantino horns are the "special sauce" of hi-end speakers......the best & smoothest I've ever heard.
  5. I agree with everyone else, in fact if I were to do it over I would have two HT112's so when seperate them and use just one I would alway have the sweet tweeter to add or cut at my taste. While using them together (which is most of the time) I would just turn one off. They are expensive tweeters and worth it. These are my favorite cabs to date.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I own two HT112s and currently run them with tweeters off all the time.

I found the tweeter added very little with DB and I disliked the extra treble for BG.

On the other hand, my tastes and needs might change someday so I don't mind having the tweeters there.
  7. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    You Bergieheads are giving me GAS! :D
  8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Anyone notice a difference between the bullet and horn style tweeters Jim uses?
  9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    JMO, it is very probable that an EX112 has more treble content than an HT112 with the tweeter turned all the way down (unless at all the way down, the tweeter still has output).

Not sure what the X-over point is but with a tweeter off, there's minimal output above that point from the 12" driver (on the HT). With the EX, the driver is attempting to work full range, just with its natural roll off on the higher end (just as they do on the lower end).

My guess is that if you don't do slapping/harmonic stuff, your sound might be better with the EX112 (or maybe, just as well off, for less $$$).

Those Berg tweeters sure are addictive though...
  10. LoFreq makes a very interesting thought.
    I would call Jim Bergantino (the main Bergiehead) and ask him. Jim will set you on the path you desire. You may in fact be better off with EX's. I'm interested in this theory because I may infact get two more mini's and I don't slap much. I'm definately looking for an extra EX or HT right now. I'm going to try the three high stack of Bergs with my Crest-O-Matic rig. :bag: That's right... RUN and HIDE!
  11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  12. goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Man, id love to see 2 Ht/Ex stacks run off of a Crest CA-9. Imagine how much thatt would rock!
  13. Well.....I'm contemplating that also....
    In fact my last conversation with Jim B. we touched on that. Jim said he has a couple customers that use that set up at least with two mini stacks. One person has one stack on the far side of the stage for the band and the other for him. I think 4 of them would be terriffic also either two and two or 4 high sort of like the 'Grateful Dead' did back in the 70's while experimenting with tall columns of speakers for outside shows like they normally did. The tall stacks projected better than the big arrays and folded bins at that time. Plus, that would be almost as tall as I am :D no short jokes please :eyebrow: ah go ahead, I love a good short joke.
  14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Damn, you Dean! Now you have me thinking about a third Bergie! If the "magic of 3" with the Bergs is anything like it is with VL-208's, that could be a brilliant move!
  15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Sorry to muddle this Bergie thread with yet another analogy to a competing brand, but...

I consider the Epifani T-112/T-110UL combo to be in the same general ballpark as the EX112/HT112, and when I powered up two T-112's and T-110UL's with my rack rig, the sound was astounding, and much more tight, clear, full, and focused than I would have expected. I strongly suspect that the overall effect of any combination of 4 Bergie 1x12's would yield a similar revelation.
  16. Big Joe,

I know this thread may be old news now, but i had the very same question several months ago. I bought two EX112s thinking I could get away without the tweeter. I found them to be sufficient for just about everything except a very crisp slap tone. I eventually upgraded one of them to an HT 112, just so I could have that option.

I spoke to Jim at length about this before I purchased them, and he told me that the HT112 with the tweeter turned off has the same frequency response as the EX112, which i think is right at 5K Hz. The way these HTs are crossed over is pretty cool, because I find that I can use a fair amount of overdrive and I dont get that harsh sound usually heard through horn loaded cabs.

If you dont play much slap or go for the ultra hifi tone, the EXs will probably do you just fine and save you a few bucks. But, if I was only going to get one to start, I would look at an HT, because it is a little more versitile. Often that is all I use, one HT112 and my head on a milk crate, unless I am on a really loud stage, then I stick the EX under it for extra bump. :)

If you are still undecided and have not done so, you should give Jim a call. He is a great guy to talk to and is really good about helping you select the right cabinet for your application.