Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino EX/HT12 vs Aggie 112x2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sufenta, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Yep. My Bergie stack came in today and I got a few solid band practice hours in tonight with them. Running them through a BMaxT/QSC 3002. The cabs sound great. I was looking for a more midrange-tone/less scooped thing.
    Review: First off, 99.999% of my tone comes from my Cote Continuum 4 w/ aftermarket wound Lindy Fralin jazz p/u's. FTR, I wouldn't sell that Cote bass for (almost) ANYTHING. And the Aggie 112's were great cabs. The Bergantino's are markedly more articulate than the Aggies. They are more voiced for that midrange bark that I was seeking. They are quite a bit smaller and lighter than the Aggies. I'm not entirely convinced that the tone difference b/t the Aggies and the Bergs justified the hit I took on selling the Aggies and the premium I paid for the Bergs, but I do feel I took a (small) step forward toward achieving the elusive 'tone/portability' ultimate amp solution.
    More comments on a new SansAmp BBDI (Yuck!) to follow.

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice rig you've got there! After much comparison, I still feel that the Bergantino EX112/HT112 mini rig is one of the best out there for its size. Soon, you will forget all about those Aggies! :p

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I thought the Aggies were pretty good sounding cabs. The Bergs are great for an articulate, out-front kind of sound, but I'm kind of starting to dig the fat/supportive sound a little more. I would like to hear the GS112/CXL110 rig sometime. I think bassmonkee was running that one. It's probably kin to the Epi UL 110/112 rig.

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm quite satisfied with my 2 X GS112 combination but have never heard a Berg 112 stack. I probably shouldn't even be reading this...

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    :D

6. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Tom;

What got my attention was the comment about midrange on the EX/HT stack. Since I play four string Jazz, mids always interest me.

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The MBS (Mini Berg Stack) has outstanding midrange. Here is a blurb from the Mini Cab Combo Shootout on my blog:

8. The Bergantino "Mighty Mini Stack" is one of my all time favorites. This small rig will knock you socks off especially if you have the likes of a Walter Woods Ultra :bassist:

9. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    (r379 covers ears) I can't hear you! LALALALALALA.....

10. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Holy cow, that's a lot of power. Out of curiosity, what's the minimum recommended power u need to drive the MBS?

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I'd say 400w is the lowest I would think, for the best results. They sound pretty good with my 300w Walkabout, but with a 400w Thunderfunk/AMP (or more powerful amp), they definitely come alive.

12. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have both and I feel they are both different. For phat bottom the aggies can't be beat. The berg has a very sweet tweeter. If you don't have alot of power, don't consider the bergs. I have an epifani that I have matched with the aguilar and it's a great match. Throaty deep and clean. I have also tried the ag and berg combo and it is great also, especially if you have enough power

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    And then there is the mighty Epi T-112 + Berg HT112 combo to consider!

Tom.

14. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    All 3000w bridged mono of the QSC could power a small city nicely. :D
    The 400+w that is actually used is really, really clean power. None of that sucky dirty power. Not only does the BMS have more definition than the Aggie 112's, but the sound really seems to come from all around the cabinets (kind of like the Bose Wave radio). I've never heard that before from any other cabs. Maybe the honeymoon period will fade, but right now I'm really enjoying re-discovering all of my basses. Its great.

15. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I happen to own both; (2) Aggie GS112's and Bergie HT/EX112 Mini-stack.

All observatations that have been posted here are in complete alignment with my findings. The Bergie's have Mids and a sweet top end that are nothing short of stunning. At my small-to-medium size indoor gigs, the Bergie HT/EX rig paired with my Mesa Walkabout (300W @4ohms) is Huge sounding. I have more power than I need indoors. Outdoors however, I have found the 300W Mesa Walkabout to be a bit underpowered for the Mini-Bergies.

The Aggie's are deeper sounding in the lows with a scooped midrange. I usually dial Mids back into the mix with the onboard Mid control on my F Bass. I also dial in a little bit more midrange on the Mesa Walkabout. Doesn't take much though before I'm in Jaco tone territory. While the Aggies have an inherent scooped midrange (sounds GREAT solo), they still sound great and sound much bigger than you would think. One is nice, but two GS112's together yield performance that is greater than the sum of the parts. A pair of GS112's have more low-end booty than the Bergies. Don't mistake this to say the Bergies are ineffective. They get it done. Just not as much deep 'bloom'. The Aggie GS112 cabs are bigger than the Bergies making them a little more authoritative in the lows, but at the expense of being less back-friendly. Athough they are still quite manageable in terms of size and weight.

All in all, I have been totally seduced by the size/weight/tone and overall outstanding performance of the Bergie HT/EX 112 stack. I never take the Aggie stack to gigs if that gives you a clue. The GS112 reside at my band rehearsal space. I play everything from Classic R&B, blues, Motown, Slap funk, rock to Realbook Jazz charts. The Bergies do it all.

I use my bigger Bergie HT322 for my big rig outdoors when I need the added depth and punch at louder volumes.

Bottomline for me; The Mids and highs of the Bergies are simply Killer. The size and weight make the Bergs so back-friendly (I'm 48) that I just don't want to use anything else if I can avoid it. I always get compliments on my tone with the Mesa Walkabout head, Bergie HT/EX 112 mini-stack and my F Bass. I'm relatively GAS free. Go figure. Well ...Except for when Dean (Big String) reminds me how great the WWU sounds with the Bergie's. Bastard. :bag: One day I'll check out a WWU, but I'm afraid I'll like it ...and THAT will be an expensive pill to swallow. Gary

16. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    OK, so now I'm wondering (See what you did, Tom?) what the HT/EX stack would sound like with 750 watts through it. That's what I run through the 2 GS112s I currently own. They sound great but , with all those mids from the Bergs you guys are talking about, I wonder how the Bergs would compare with the Ags in terms of volume and tone. Passive Jazz with lots of mids and not too much bass from an SVP Pro.

Why am I asking these questions? Am I crazy? Do I really want to know? Just when I think I'm happy with what I've got, along comes this thread. It never stops, does it.

17. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    The HT/EX stack really opens up with 750 watts. It would sound great!

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    :D

And wait till you hear it with 1,200 watts! Especially when they come via a 7 lb, cigar-box-shaped wonder head! :p

19. notrt

notrt

Jun 29, 2004
    Great thread---I couldn't agree more about the Bergies. I bought these two cabinets late last winter, and I've been regularly gigging with my HT/EX112 "mini stack" for about a month now---and I get more impressed with the sound with each gig. I've tried them in small to medium sized rooms, and for a few small outdoor gigs (how's that for a contradiction in terms, eh???), and the combination of their voicing, pitch focus, and power never fails to amaze me, my bandmates, or anyone who's remotely bass savvy in the audiance. Great sounding live cabinets, and when you drop the bomb on the notes below C, you definately get your message across.

They do need beaucoup power for sure. Currently I'm running a Stewart 2.1 bridged into these; this same amp in stereo just wasn't hacking it. Jim B states you really need twice the power rating of each cabinet to make these sing, and they're rated 300 watts @ 8 ohms.

They've impressed me so much that I'm actively looking for an HT-322 as a stand alone cabinet for bigger gigs, and will be selling off my Eden and Genz-Benz stuff when I do.

later...

RC a/k/a "notrt" in Berlin, MD.

20. Quick question... just curious... I understand why the Acme's and EA cabs are power hungry... due to the low small cab tuning, lower impedence at the low end that results in lot's of power needed to pump the low end out of a little box, etc. (at least that's what I understand to be the reason) Why would a more 'standard' designed (i.e., seems to me the Berg's have a more standard design.. like traditional porting, full range woofers, standard tweeters, etc.) cabs like the Berg's be so power hungry? The Berg specs don't seem to be that wide (i.e., that the smaller cabs are tuned to roll off very low like the EA's, etc.).

Again... just curious.... twice the rated power to make them really perform? Does anybody know the 'physics' involved?

Thanks