Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino EX112 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bben, Nov 12, 2002.

1. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Props for the somewhat-overlooked Bergantino EX112:

I have been playing mix and match with a Bergantino HT112(with tweeter), EX112 (no tweeter), and Epifani T-112. My current favorite setup for making loudness is the HT112 on top of the Epifani. The two cabs supplement each other very nicely, since IMHO the Bergantinos are a little thin in the bottom octave (even in pairs), and the Epifanis pretty fat down low (especially in pairs).

For quiet practice and rehearsals I have been using the EX112 by itself. One 1x12 cab can sound a bit thin if you are used to the way a pair of them hook up, and I find the HT112 by itself to be a little twangy with my maple/ash Skyline, unless I turn the tweeter way down. Since I don't slap or pop am finding I can get by just fine with the EX112 - like it better than a lone HT112, actually.

2. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Bben, you might see my newly posted thread marked Bergantino. If I'd seen this first I would have had added my comments here. My Ht112 Bergantino arrived today and I was hoping that this would be the single cabinet that would work with my Walter Woods for most BG casual gigs with a three-horn/four rhythm/two singer band doing swing/jazz and 70's/80's rock and pop. However, your use of the word twangy is perfect. I was surprised at how zingy or hot it is in my practice room and am full of doubt as to whether this is the cabinet. OTOH, maybe this is exactly the sound I need when on a gig to cut through everything. I like it better when paired with an Acme B-1, an EA VL110 or an EA VL208--the other speakers I own currently--since they seem to smooth out its raw edges. BUT, I would like to avoid having to take two cabinets with me to the extent I can. In your opinion, is there a better 112 cabinet out there that would accomplish what I need. I'm not slapping or popping either--just finger style bass playing on either a 65 P bass or a Carvin Brunel 4 string, both strung with Thomastik flats. Thanks.

3. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I think the tweeter in the HT112 sounds about as good as I've heard, smoother than the Fostex types. It's the first cab that I have had that I don't turn the tweeter way down. The Epifani T-112 will move a bit more air than the Bergantino, it has a very different sound, much fuller, but I turn the tweeter down quite a bit on the Epifanis.

For me, the moral of the story is that I really like 2x12 cabs a lot better than 1x12s. Moving two small 1x12 cabs works better for me than moving one big 2x12. And when I use the HT112 in combination with another 1x12 the tweeter sounds great.

If you are using your amp setup flat, try the HT112 with some significant boost down low - it can take quite a bit and will fatten up. I assume you have tried this, but just in case...

I am curious about the EA 112, too, but am happy with being able to play mix-and-match with the cabs I've got. EA prices strike me as a bit high, even in this league.

4. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Bben, see my longer reply in the other Bergantino thread. Thank you for your suggestion. Pushing up the bass was the secret to making this cab sound fantastic. It easily handled the boosted bass with no distortion or breaking up, and this little speaker is incredibly loud. With its light weight and compact size, this is a real winner for the gigging musician who plays all kinds of rooms and who has to haul stuff all over the place.