Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino EX112?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hillsidebass, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Hillsidebass

Hillsidebass Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2005
    San Angelo, Texas
    I can't seem to find anything on the EX112 other than some really good reviews. What's the difference in these and the new Berg cabs?

2. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Two and a half years after this thread went up and got 0 replies I've gotten one of these great sounding cabs and can't find one damned spec of information about it either. Would it really be that difficult to do a web page with the pertinent info like driver specs, frequency response, power handling, weight, dimensions etc and then LEAVE IT UP? Seems especially pertinent for a company that discontinues products as frequently as Bergantino does.

3. Jim Bergantino

Jim Bergantino Commercial User

Feb 27, 2003
    Bergantino Audio Systems
    Actually, based on your post, you know the most important spec of all..."great sounding"! ;-} If it's working for you, and sounds great, what else do you really need to know? It does have the power handling and impedance spec on the input cup. Beyond that, just plug in and enjoy!

Regards,

Jim Bergantino

GeorgeG, Munjibunga and Al Kraft like this.
  4. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey Jim thanks for replying to my little rant! You're right sounding great IS by far the most important spec and if it's the only spec I got I can live with that. This cab with an Alessandro Basset Hound is the simple in appearance yet sonically complex subtle old school hifi super warm accentuated low mid but without loss of clarity bass sound that's closer to what's in my head than any other rig I've used in forty-three years...(jeez there's a mouthful). I don't think I could dial a bad sound into this rig if I tried.

Regarding the other specs: for me wanting to understand gear from a technical perspective goes back to a (late 70's?) Anthony Jackson column in Guitar Player Mag where he takes bass players to task for having the deserved rep as being technically illiterate. Sometimes gear I've used a lot becomes a sonic benchmark and complete specs help compare it to other less familiar gear to understand better in technical terms what I'm hearing. The immediate example is the Bag End S15 cabs yours seems to have de-throned. Comparing specs won't help me get a sound but it might help me understand why I'm liking one over the other. Your products have a distinct sonic personality that's very pleasing they're always going to be a hot item on the used market. A lot of players with an ear for high end stuff like this are going to want to do research on what they've bought or are considering. Doesn't have to be anything fancy just a basic text page.

5. Jim Bergantino

Feb 27, 2003
    Bergantino Audio Systems
    Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I can appreciate where you're coming from. One of my biggest frustrations with this industry is that a lot of the manufacturer's specs are either inflated or completely useless. It makes it difficult for companies with integrity to compete if customers are ruling out products based on specs alone. I won't go into names, but I've had several good laughs every time I was asked if Brand X's "900" watt, class D amp would blow up my 700 watt speaker. The fact is, this so-called 900 watt amp could only do 900 watts for less than 1msec (that's one thousandth of a second) at about 20% distortion! But the manufacturer used the 900 watt figure to deceive customers into thinking their amp was more powerful than their competitors amp (with the same Class D module, btw). And this was a from a manufacturer still highly regarded by many on this forum! Specs alone don't tell the whole story. You could look at 10 different speakers, for instance, which all have very similar frequency responses and power specs. But that tells you nothing about how they will sound comparably at 1 watt never mind at 500 watts. Do specs tell you if the crossover is designed properly in a multi-way cabinet or if the cabinet is tuned properly in a ported cab? There's so much more that determines how the speaker sounds and performs then any spec can reveal. Are specs useful? Sure. But they can also be misleading and confusing and even potentially rule out what would have ultimately been the best choice for you.

Anyway, sorry for the rant! Going from memory, I believe the EX112 was approx 45-4khz at 98db 1watt/1meter if that helps. You can easily get the dims and weight ;-}!

Regards,

Jim

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  6. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Jim,

Your answer is incredibly similar to one point of view in a recent hotly debated thread and as an engineer I couldn't agree with you more. I expect the guys at Mesa (Agedhorse in particular) would agree as well.

You probably won't remember, but I called you a couple years ago when trying to decide between the CN212 or HD212. You kindly shared your perspectives on the designs relative to my tone goals and against the current gear I had as a point of reference. That few minutes on the phone with you gave me a better understanding about which product I would be most interested in than if I had studied spec sheets for hours. Long story short, the CN212 turned out to be a perfect match for my needs, as you had predicted it might.

When folks like you are willing to take time to help potential customers understand their product from the designers perspective and how it might work for their tone goals, I'd say spec sheets, even if readily available and in excruciating detail would still be of considerably less value. Thanks for your transparency and willingness to both educate as well as sell to customers.

With respect,
    -Al

Jim Bergantino likes this.
  7. PCR

PCR Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2008
    I'll second that.

A few years back I had played through a pair of HT112 cabs for several years and was ready to upgrade. I couldn't decide between the AE112 (?) and the new (at the time) HD112. I wrangled with the decision for almost 3 months. On a whim, I called the shop and was surprised that I was speaking to the man himself. After about a 15-20 minute conversation my mind was made up, and my next call was to Bass Specialties. Glen hooked me up with new cabs, and I've been in low end bliss ever since.

Thanks, Jim for taking your time to answer my seemingly silly mundane questions. I am a die hard Bergantino fan.

Jim Bergantino and Munjibunga like this.
  8. Jim Bergantino

Feb 27, 2003
    Bergantino Audio Systems
    Thank you Al and PCR for the kind words. I do try my best when speaking with both existing and potential customers to help them make an informed decision. Not just with our products, but other manufacturer's products as well, especially before we offered the B|AMP. I've even told many of our existing customers, when inquiring about some of our newer offerings, to save their hard earned money and continue enjoying what they already have, if what they have is still applicable to their tonal goals. I always strive to ensure my customers do right by us, even if it means not selling them new gear.

There's so much information on this forum, but unfortunately not all of it is accurate or well informed. I get a chuckle when members make posts recommending gear, not based on what they've played or heard personally, but based on what they've read. Or qualifying brand x's speaker cabinets as being the "better choice" for no other reason than the woofer it uses in the design, or if it has a midrange driver in lieu of a tweeter (it must have a better power response and therefore, must be "better", right?). If Ford put Ferrari pistons in their engine, does that make it a better engine? Of course not. In fact, even if they fit and worked, the higher compression pistons would probably blow out the cylinder walls which weren't designed for that kind of horsepower in the first place. Every design has its intended purpose and application in mind. Putting "better" or more expensive parts into a design doesn't make it better for its intended application, and more often than not, may actually make it worse, and at a higher cost to the consumer!

Jim

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    GeorgeG, kjones and Al Kraft like this.