Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino grills

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve Clark, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I have a HT115 with the chrome grill and just got the HT210 with the black grill. I can decide what to get? Matching chrome or matching black?

What do the Bergie users prefer? :confused:

2. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    CHROME ALL THE WAY!

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I didn't know that Berg was offering black grills. I actually really like the chrome. It sets his cabs apart from everyone else's.

4. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    SWR? :)

What does the black grill look like? Is it like the grills on the NV series cabinets?

5. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Yes. Same as the NV. I like the chrome. But I like the idea of smaller holes on the black grills.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Is this something that Jim is offering now for the HT series cabs?

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Actually Jim is going to be switching to the Black Grills soon for all the cabs.

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Why is that?

9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Just something he said he wanted to do. Who knows, he might offer both or a limited number. He did say he was switching to the Black grills though.......

10. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    ditto
    After owning both ht cabs and nv cabs, the chrome grills are a lot stronger and heavier. I would think the chrome grills are more expensive to make than the black ones. The black ones do look very cool on the nv cabs though.

11. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I believe the black grills were a special order for Club Bass where your HT-115 probably came from... I prefer the chrome myself...

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The Bergantino chrome grills make the cabs difficult to photograph. :p Worse, the inside edges can be sharp. I suppose the risk of injury is low, but I can imagine someone accidentally scraping a bare knee against the grill and losing some skin (no, I haven't done that yet!) Finally, they aren't as smooth as the SWR chrome grills.

Despite all that, the Berg chrome grills are extremely sturdy and do have a cool signature look to 'em.

My advice? Go for the chrome. If you eventually change your mind, black will probably still be available, whereas chrome might not.

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I went over to the club bass site and he has pictures of all of the HT cabs with the black covers. I definately prefer the chrome grills myself, but of coarse this could simply be because that's what I'm used to. I do really think that it sets them apart. The important thing though is that the sound of the Bergantino cabs sets them apart enough already. I love these things! If I ever got a big pop gig I'd go for a NV610/215 combo with an Ampeg SVT5. Good lawd! For everything else I'll stick with my Glockenklang and HT112/EX112 combo. MMmmmmmmmm.........Good............. :bassist:

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Chrome grills look pretty but they're harder to look after. Whenever my black grilles get a bit stratched up, I simply remove them and give they a spray with automotive paint. Cheap and easy. I guess the same could be said about the manufacturing process, so I can understand Jim wanting to switch to black. Perhaps he should consider offering chrome as an optional extra?

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    It could be for the same reason Andy at Acme got rid of the chrome rails on his cabs......they where reflecting light on T.V. shows, and photo shoots. I like the chrome myself, especially since I have four Bergie cabs with it, and I don't think they let old farts like me on T.V. anyway :D