Bergantino HD vs HDN

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassdudepat, Jun 21, 2016.

1. HDN

42.1%
  2. HD

50.0%
  3. Neodymium carrots

7.9%
  1. bassdudepat

bassdudepat Bringer of the Brown Note Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    After some searching, I haven't seen much on this subject so, sorry if it's been done. Anyone have any comps or thoughts on the Bergantino HD vs HDN lines? For that matter, why not comparisons on all the Berg lines you may have experience with?
    I'm a bit curious, having just purchased an HDN 112, how it would compare to an HD 112 (obviously other than the weight). From Jims discription, the HD's accurately reproduce your Basses tone while the HDN's have sort of a mid forward sound to them. I've notice the mid forward sound on my HDN 112 and find that I'm almost trying to fight it most of the time. Thoughts?

2. This has all been covered in depth. Go to club Bergantino for reviews. Also the newer B-Amp thread has many comments. The general consensus is that the new HDN series hits just as hard as the older series. Read the last ten pages or so of each.

bassdudepat likes this.
  3. bassdudepat

Mar 31, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    I'll look again, seems like a lot of CN vs HDN comps and HD vs CN, but I haven't seen any HD vs HDN comps.

4. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    The HDNs, as a line, are tough to discuss as I think there's a bit of variation in them.

What I mean is that the 112 is way warmer because of its low-mid area as compared to the 210. I find the 210, although clearly with a tone related to the 112, to have much less in the low mid area, and I find it straighter up and down the spectrum. Understand, it still has a nice roundness to it, but less than the 112 IMO.

What this gives you, if you happen to have both, is a great ability to select for your needs. If you're looking for traditional sounds and it's a small gig, the 112 is the way to go. If you're looking for more pop and definition, it's the 210. If it's a big gig and you need more stage volume, it's both, and wow is that a fantastic combination.

Of course, if you have the B|Amp, you can pretty much dial them the way you want with the cool EQ section. Also, don't be afraid to dial the tweeter up or down to taste. Have you been using it at about 2:00 or 3:00 and standing on-axis? I find the 112 pretty smoking at that setting.

gscroggin and bassdudepat like this.
  5. bassdudepat

Mar 31, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Pretty much at noon. Was thinking about getting a stand for it till I can get another cab. I ended up getting rid of the LMiii I was using to power it. Neither of the mid knobs were in the right place for me. Ended up getting an used shuttle and was able to sweep the mid to the right spot and cut a little.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    kjones likes this.
  6. bassdudepat

Mar 31, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks for the help!
    So, I think I'm going to get another cab.. Maybe tomorrow.. Would you recommend another HDN 112 or an HDN 210 to stack? I sold my soul to the 80's cover/variety circuit but do enjoy and incorporate some funk.. would the 210 ad some modern-ness to the sound of bothe were used? I've been using the NV 412 for years and love it, just looking for something more portable to replace the Markbass stuff I wasn't real happy with for the smaller indoor clubs..

7. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Obviously, this calls for opinion, and it's my opinion that the 210 gives you a ton of flexibility and throws a bit more modern sounding tones in. I think the flexibility of the HDN 210 with 112 is a beautiful thing. Mix and match, choose what you need for that particular gig.

I have the 12 on the bottom with the tweeter off, and the 210 on top of it with the tweeter around 2:00-3:00.

8. bassdudepat

Mar 31, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks! I ended up going to Austin Guitar House and ran into John Files and we went through a few configurations. I ultimately went with the 322 config. You're right, lot more tonal options that way. Sounded thick!

kevk and Munjibunga like this.
  9. bassdudepat

Mar 31, 2009
    Austin, Texas
  10. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it.

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    bassdudepat and HenryAndJunior like this.
  11. OP, I recently made the transition from MarkBass 210 and 115 to Berg HD 210 and 112. I found in my comparison, much of what I didn't like tonally about the MarkBass in the HDNs. It could be that I don't like neodymium, but it always seemed to be missing something in the low and added a woofiness to the low-mids. HD rig is a face-melter... Large rock show aside, I can't think of a gig I wouldn't want to bring it to.

Joshua, BWorm and bassdudepat like this.
  12. Lepparda

Lepparda

Sep 21, 2016
    I totally agree having gone from Markbass to Berg HD cabs but visiting the HDN's along the way. Ceramics for the win particularly at higher volumes when you are pushing them.

lo-freq likes this.