1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bergantino HD112x2 vs. HD212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emart, Aug 10, 2012.

1. emart

emart

Sep 2, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I've decided to go Bergantino and I'm faced with a decision about which way to go. I've read quite a bit about these new cabs here but would like some feedback from those with some experience.

Aside from the obvious form factor considerations and price, can I expect any perceptible performance difference between a stack of two HD112s and a single HD212?

2. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    If you ever do smaller gigs or rehearsals, you'll want the 2 112 cabs so you can take only one when you need it. I had a Berg AE212, and now I have 2 AE112's and I think its the way to go.

3. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    In my experience, two 112 cabs give you a little more focus and clarity than the 212, but a 212 has a little more booty. I'm talking degrees here by the way, not a night and day difference. In my case, the solution was to have an AE212, and a HT112/EX112 stack. Realistically I could be happy with either one, but nice to have a choice depending on the demands of the gig. Please keep in mind that I have never played the HD series cabs (I have played the HT/AE 112s & 212s) but I would imagine the characteristics are much the same.

I'm sure either choice will be a good one (Jim makes awesome cabs), though I agree with MarTONE regarding the portability factor. Just my $.02 of course...

4. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Check out what Tom Bowlus has said about those cabs.

5. emart

emart

Sep 2, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks for the replies. I did in fact read what Tom Bowlus had to say before I posted here. I also reached out directly to Bergantino. In case anyone else finds themselves in the same situation, here is what Jim Bergantino had to say about any performance differences between these two options:

Thank you for the email and interest in our products. To answer your question, there is no discernable difference between 2 HD112's and 1 HD212. Either option would be a nice match for your current set up.

Regards,
    Jim Bergantino

Following Jim's response I went with the two HD112's.

Mystic Michael likes this.
  6. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Probably no "discernible difference" in any practical application. I'm sure there is a very small difference, but on a live stage, or probably even in most practice studio situations, the difference will probably not be noticable. I dunno', if Jim says it, I certainly believe it. :)

7. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    A few other big names in the Talkbass high end audio world (DIY cab guys) have echo'ed what Jim said.